good turntable that can rip vinyls to lossless digital
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #16 of 96
The turntable doesn't have anything to do with the ripping format, it's the software that determines this. Most people use Audacity, a free download:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

It will definitely do WAV, AIFF, MP3; you can easily convert to ALAC from there with iTunes or separate conversion program.

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #17 of 96
Quote:
The turntable doesn't have anything to do with the ripping format, it's the software that determines this. Most people use Audacity, a free download:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

It will definitely do WAV, AIFF, MP3; you can easily convert to ALAC from there with iTunes or separate conversion program.

thanks and does audacity cut the tracks too because penmarker mentioned the whole album will be 1 single track and i need special softwares to cut them?

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #19 of 96
Quote:
You will have to edit them yourself. Audacity is an editing tool, so it makes it pretty easy to do cutting, and saving out individual files.

ok thanks, i think i remember doing something like this once, using something called medieval cue or something like that. any idea what i am talking about? 

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #20 of 96
Quote:

ok thanks, i think i remember doing something like this once, using something called medieval cue or something like that. any idea what i am talking about? 

Medieval Cue needs Cue Files to split music. Sometimes when you download music illegally, the whole album is in one long track, and it will have some other contents such as the album art, download information, and Cue Files. The software will cut it up accordingly taking cues from the Cue file.

Audacity is more than enough to cut up your ripped music. Also downloading is bad mmkayy.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #21 of 96
Quote:
Medieval Cue needs Cue Files to split music. Sometimes when you download music illegally, the whole album is in one long track, and it will have some other contents such as the album art, download information, and Cue Files. The software will cut it up accordingly taking cues from the Cue file.

Audacity is more than enough to cut up your ripped music. Also downloading is bad mmkayy.

thank you, and i thought sharing is caring 
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #22 of 96
This is software relate, you can capture in 16/44 or 24/94 or even 32bits, if you're using Audiotion, then you can export the files in any format you want. Unless the LP240 comes with some sort of software bundle that automates the whole process, but them i don't know.

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 96
Quote:
I think I will go with the audio technica lp1240, what's the best price for them? They are currently at 350 usd right now

Lucky you!, in the UK you are looking at about £439 (about $600)
http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Audio-Technica-LP1240-USB-Turntable/product_6440?ref=gmc&gclid=CPuL6LCiyLYCFU5b3godV2cAAA

I think I will be going for the project debut carbon TT, then if I ever decide to rip (which I probably will just for fun) get the project usb pre amp. Like the look of that AT table though.
I suppose if you add together what I just mentioned it works out the same price I quoted.
Good luck and look forward to hearing your experience (no pun intented).

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #24 of 96
Quote:

Lucky you!, in the UK you are looking at about £439 (about $600)
http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Audio-Technica-LP1240-USB-Turntable/product_6440?ref=gmc&gclid=CPuL6LCiyLYCFU5b3godV2cAAA

I think I will be going for the project debut carbon TT, then if I ever decide to rip (which I probably will just for fun) get the project usb pre amp. Like the look of that AT table though.
I suppose if you add together what I just mentioned it works out the same price I quoted.
Good luck and look forward to hearing your experience (no pun intented).

thanks for giving me another option to look at. i dont think i will be getting the turntable anytime soon though because my cash is limited and i always wanted to get a ciem. i think i will get a ciem before i get the turntable. maybe you will get the turntable before me and you can report back and tell me what you think of it 
wink.gif

Quote:
This is software relate, you can capture in 16/44 or 24/94 or even 32bits, if you're using Audiotion, then you can export the files in any format you want. Unless the LP240 comes with some sort of software bundle that automates the whole process, but them i don't know.

i see, thanks. im most likely going to use 16/44 or 24/94, not going to go any higher than that lol. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #25 of 96
Quote:

thanks for giving me another option to look at. i dont think i will be getting the turntable anytime soon though because my cash is limited and i always wanted to get a ciem. i think i will get a ciem before i get the turntable. maybe you will get the turntable before me and you can report back and tell me what you think of it 
wink.gif

i see, thanks. im most likely going to use 16/44 or 24/94, not going to go any higher than that lol. 

Hey sinth made a very good suggestion. The Pro-ject company had made great turntables with very little negative feedback. The turntable you mentioned, after some browsing, there are quite a number of people who complained about speed problems. Turntables spin the vinyl discs at either 33 1/3 RPM or 44 RPM. If the speed deviates, the sound will either be like chipmunks or incredible hulks. The Audio Technica turntable you wanted to buy has this alleged speed problems, and since it is quartz controlled, you cannot adjust the speed. Google "turntable pitch control" and you can see turntables that has speed control (it is either a knob like volume knob, or a slider)

Yep, I'd say go for the Pro-ject setup.

Also, if your sound card (or on board sound chip if you don't have any sound cards) do not allow for 24/96 khz bitrate and/or above, upsampling will not really do much. Just stick to your sound card limitations.

Don't worry, analog setup is a time consuming process. There will be oopsies from time to time, and that's fine. As long as you have the patience, things will work out in the end.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #26 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Audio Technica turntable you wanted to buy has this alleged speed problems, and since it is quartz controlled, you cannot adjust the speed. Google "turntable pitch control" and you can see turntables that has speed control (it is either a knob like volume knob, or a slider)

Don't worry, analog setup is a time consuming process. There will be oopsies from time to time, and that's fine. As long as you have the patience, things will work out in the end.

The AT-LP1240-USB actually does have a "sliding pitch control with quartz speed lock", as well as a "stroboscopic platter and speed accuracy indicator":

Image quoted to show slider; http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/4351850e750a2f93/

Even their lesser AT-LP120-USB has these features. But this is a much better plinth.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #27 of 96
Incidentally, I settled on some paid Mac software for my vinyl ripping. Amadeus Pro will sort out the cue tracks automatically (although I still can do a better job manually so I do because I'm anal), and has a simpler interface than Audacity. And ClickRepair is an amazing program for removing pops, I recommended it completely as it's completely non-destructive. The same company also has a product called DeNoise, but Amadeus Pro has this feature as well so it's redundant. But these last two utilities work multi-platform as opposed to Amadeus Pro which is Mac only. It's a lot more $ than free (Audacity), but together they are still under $100 I think it's even a better a solution than Pure Vinyl ($279).

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #29 of 96
Here's a novel idea. Instead of going from turntable to computer, go from turntable to CD recorder, you can separate tracks in real time. Then place recorded CD in computer and copy to iTunes. In iTunes you can create meta data. I suggest this since it is a real hassle to digitize vinyl from turntable to computer. even with the right tools.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #30 of 96
Quote:

The AT-LP1240-USB actually does have a "sliding pitch control with quartz speed lock", as well as a "stroboscopic platter and speed accuracy indicator":

Image quoted to show slider; http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/4351850e750a2f93/

Even their lesser AT-LP120-USB has these features. But this is a much better plinth.

I wonder what result did I look at when I saw the comments. Maybe they were for different models indeed.
There you go, an oopsie. :D ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back