good turntable that can rip vinyls to lossless digital
Apr 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #31 of 96
Quote:

Lucky you!, in the UK you are looking at about £439 (about $600)
http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Audio-Technica-LP1240-USB-Turntable/product_6440?ref=gmc&gclid=CPuL6LCiyLYCFU5b3godV2cAAA

I think I will be going for the project debut carbon TT, then if I ever decide to rip (which I probably will just for fun) get the project usb pre amp. Like the look of that AT table though.
I suppose if you add together what I just mentioned it works out the same price I quoted.
Good luck and look forward to hearing your experience (no pun intented).

hang on, you're in Essex just pop down the road and get a Rega

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #33 of 96
Consider whether you prefer direct or belt drive, that would be the main functional difference between the two. Also the Project does not have a USB output so you'll need to add a preamp that has one or a separate preamp and ADC, while the Audio-Technica is more of an all-in-one solution with both a USB output and a phono preamp built in. I ended up with a direct drive, the Technics SL1200 MKII which the Audio-Technica non-USB model is based on. They're both great turntables.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #34 of 96
Quote:
Consider whether you prefer direct or belt drive, that would be the main functional difference between the two. Also the Project does not have a USB output so you'll need to add a preamp that has one or a separate preamp and ADC, while the Audio-Technica is more of an all-in-one solution with both a USB output and a phono preamp built in. I ended up with a direct drive, the Technics SL1200 MKII which the Audio-Technica non-USB model is based on. They're both great turntables.

i dont even know the difference between direct drive and belt drive but it sounds like the audio technica will be a more convenient and all in one solution so i will probably go with the audio technica, thanks 

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #35 of 96
I fully support the ripping of vinyl. I have an Audio Technica AT-LP120 and a Rotel pre-amp which I use for recording. I have had excellent results. I think you will have good results with that TT.

Also I disagree that you need to run software cleaners to filter out pops/clicks. I have never and will never. Surface noise doesn't bother me and I'd rather not risk losing information this way. If it's really that bad, then that particular LP shouldn't have been purchased in my opinion. Plus it's one less step to do.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #36 of 96
Subject to the  original dub LP, it has to be really quiet and damp, or else your cartridge can also pick up every details such as noise, worst still, pops and clicks left over.. 

If you are on MC cartridge, maybe there is still a chance, MI, MM, I doubt.

Well, just my 2 cts opinion, again subject to equipment configuration..
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #37 of 96
no offense to analog audio lovers but coming from digital audio, honestly, analog just seems so complicated and botherline annoying with everything having a chance to mess up and it seems like theres so much you have to do to get it right... anyone has similar feeling? or maybe its just me being totally new to analog audio...

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #38 of 96
There is usually a conversation regarding those issue in the sound science forums. Like most conversations in that forum, it devolves into a circular argument with no clear answer but everyone has an opinion.

Analog is a pain. There is the advantage of near infinite resolution under ideal circumstances, but the bandwidth can be limited and ideal circumstances are next to impossible. You have to appreciate the ritual, and be able to live with imperfections like surface noise.

The best weapons against surface noise is wet vacuum cleaning of the records, and good stylus care. And you have to be able to admit that some records will never sound good, but the same is true for digital recordings.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #39 of 96
Guys I think for now he doesn't need to know about direct drive vs belt drive or MM carts vs MC carts vs MI carts. Keep discussions at a bare minimal level.

reddragon, what you need to know now on your level is just ripping vinyls, and that's the basic. The rest of the things, details, and extra information will come naturally.
I was in your spot just a few months ago, so I know how it feels and the experience is still fresh. Of course when more experienced people come, they might confuse you with technical jargons that they are very well versed with. Don't overwhelm yourself with such level of information yet.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #40 of 96
I think the best part about vinyl listening is finding rare lps and recordings that you wouldn't be able to find otherwise.

I went to a couple of local stores and found almost 200 lps for a quarter each, and the vast majority of them sound brilliant. You couldn't hope to find a fraction of them in cd format anywhere.

May 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #43 of 96
Right now, I'm also interested in buying a USB turntable for ripping all of my vinyl (all '80 oldies) to my DX100, searched the forum and found this thread.

I'm looking forward for your review if you've make up your mind to go for LP-1240. The info I've searched about LP-1240 that it is positive among those reviews and it should and would do the job fine. At the mean time time, I may search see weather there is any other choices out there.

Thanks.
Yazoo

May 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #44 of 96
Quote:
Right now, I'm also interested in buying a USB turntable for ripping all of my vinyl (all '80 oldies) to my DX100, searched the forum and found this thread.

I'm looking forward for your review if you've make up your mind to go for LP-1240. The info I've searched about LP-1240 that it is positive among those reviews and it should and would do the job fine. At the mean time time, I may search see weather there is any other choices out there.

Thanks.
Yazoo

i also have the dx100 (not at this moment, now my dx100 is sent back to ibasso for replacement of pcb because my dx100 wouldnt turn on) and thats what i wanted to do, ripping vinyls to dx100 but i think i found the cds for the albums i wanted so i think i will delay the turntable idea if im indeed getting a turntable later, sorry... good luck in your searches though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back