Good tubes to pair with my HD650 and Little Dot mk2?
Sep 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jsears31

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I just got my Senn HD650 'phones in yesterday. I also have the Little Dot MKii which has been awesome.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for the best tubes to use with this setup? I have the stock tubes as of now and hear that the right tubes make a big difference. I use them mostly for PC gaming, so soundstage and bass are both important to me, as well as maintaining a decent mid range. Basically anything that'll let the HD650's do their thing.

I'd also be interested in hearing suggestions for the gain settings for the amp.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Try the amp section.  There's a huge (I mean HUGE) thread on tube rolling for the MKIII (which uses the same tubes).

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 6
i'm using ef92 mullards for the driver tubes. the hd650 + mk2 on mullards beat the hd650 + audio-gd c-2c as far as i can hear 
smile.gif

these tubes give tighter bass with a more realistic sound at the expense of detail and a bit of imaging in my opinion. i suggest you try them out 
smile.gif

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 6
i'm using ef92 mullards for the driver tubes. the hd650 + mk2 on mullards beat the hd650 + audio-gd c-2c as far as i can hear
smile.gif

these tubes give tighter bass with a more realistic sound at the expense of detail and a bit of imaging in my opinion. i suggest you try them out
smile.gif

GE JAN 5654W are also a good option. Controlled bass with authority. Other tubes I've tried have either seemed slightly muddy by comparison or somewhat anemic. Mids are very smooth, and highs are extended and well balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back