Good time to buy a Macbook?
Jun 2, 2008 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
My 1st gen Macbook is dieing. (FYI...HeadFi puts the red wiggle under the word "dieing". Is dieing not a word?????)

Anyway, is now good time to get another Macbook or is it due for a refresh?

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 42
Probably a good time, but with WWDC coming (and expected new iPhone), I'd wait two weeks... just in case.

And Head-Fi doesn't handle the spelling, your browser does.
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 42
Thanks. Ehh...just noticed I probably should have posted this in "Gear-Fi". I forget about that forum.

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 42
I think Apple is going to drop new products on June 9.

Hold off until then. There will be a new product or two, but there's a good chance they'll bump system specs on existing products. You might get a much faster MacBook for the same price.

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 42
I could be honest and tell you there's never a good time to buy a macbook
biggrin.gif

If you wait until the new iphone comes out I'll put a couple bucks on prices dropping not too long after.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #9 of 42
Not quite!
Especially since WWDC 2008 are just one week away (June 9-13)...

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 42
The new MacBooks with Penryn and (maybe) Montevina are rumored to be announced at WWDC.
You probably should hold out until later this summer.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Apple is going to drop new products on June 9.

Hold off until then. There will be a new product or two, but there's a good chance they'll bump system specs on existing products. You might get a much faster MacBook for the same price.

Uncle, I heard the same rumors, the Powerbook/Macbook design is OLD (7-years maybe?), time for remodeling, suggested styling cues from the '08 iMacs and MBA.

My Ti PB finally died (with the link to the above rumor), on-hold until the new lines come out. This POS Dell Latitude is driving me nuts!

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #13 of 42
Weren't the macbooks just upgraded recently (Jan/Feb)? With pretty solid specs, only the price is high, so apple might hold out until November or so to upgrade.

The macbook pro, maybe at WWDC, a new black, alu & glass look to match the air. But I secretly want them to not change, so my mbp still looks new
wink.gif
. Who am I kidding though, this design is like 2 or so years old, which is an eternity in Apple's design books.

If you have a way of getting into the college discounts, be sure to wait so you can also get the free ipod touch/nano/whatever they're giving away this year.

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 42
What is wrong with your current notebook? if possible you should try and install ubuntu or some other flavor of linux on it. I used to be a big fan of osX but since switching to linux, osX just doesn't seem like a "real computer" it feels more like a toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back