Good starter cans for newbies?
May 9, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 41
The best starter cans are ATH-A900, big soundstage, excellent sound, build quality and comfort. Do not need amplification and make pretty much everything, including low bitrate mp3, sound very decent. The only downside is that they are not portable.

May 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my HFI-700s!! Great for gaming and music!! Pull the trigger!

How is the frequency response? When something crashes does it blow your mind and not just your screen? How is the treble is it to crispy or just right?

Reviews from the web are all over the place... one place says one thing then gets contradicted in another review. I don't know :sigh: getting overwhelmed feels like.

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming looking at everything everyone says.

May 9, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best starter cans are ATH-A900, big soundstage, excellent sound, build quality and comfort. Do not need amplification and make pretty much everything, including low bitrate mp3, sound very decent. The only downside is that they are not portable.

agreed. I started with A900s.

Went through ATH CM5, ATH CM7, ATH CM7ti, UM1, UM2, E5, SA1k, SA5k etc.. after, but my 900s are still here and are my main cans. I have no urges to upgrade at all. They sound great and FUN. Granted, I am interested in other cans, but only out of lust/curiosity for cans in general, purty pics others post etc.. A900s are a fantastic starting point to figure out if you like bright, detailed, warm, whatever type of sound, and go in that direction. As A900s are dead in the middle, pretty much.

May 9, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #19 of 41
Hmm I'll have to check em out. Don't hear much about em though as I've been browsing head phone reviews for a few weeks now and I've never ran across the name.

May 9, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 41
My vote would have to go to the 701s.

now with that being said I have the HD 650 w/equinox cable, the 701 and the Grado RS1. I am currently using the Earmax Silver amp.

If I could only have one set of phones I think it would have the be the 701s. They sound fine without an amp and in fact they are ok with and iPod also...

May 9, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote would have to go to the 701s.

now with that being said I have the HD 650 w/equinox cable, the 701 and the Grado RS1.

Holly mama! Starter level did move up a *bit* since me checking this forum last time.
blink.gif

May 9, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #22 of 41
Right now I've got the list down to:

AKG K 701,
Ultrasone HFI-700 (I keep coming back to these for some reason),
Audio-Technica ATH-A900's,
Grado RS-2 (doubt it).

Thanks again for the input guys much appreciated! Anyone have anything else to add?

May 9, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holly mama! Starter level did move up a *bit* since me checking this forum last time.
blink.gif

Well the AKG K 701's can be had for around $300 which is starter range for me.
tongue.gif

May 9, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #24 of 41
The K 701 is useless without an amp. Unless you plan on getting an amp in the near future, scratch it off your list.

It would be helpful to know what your music taste is, what kind of music to you listen to most?

May 9, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the AKG K 701's can be had for around $300 which is starter range for me.
tongue.gif

Typical mistake, it does not start with just cans. You need to build a rig around them to extract what they are capable of, DAC, amp, decent IC, lossless material. Until I had all that, I preferred A900 to Zu recabled HD650, and I am not kidding.

May 9, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercheif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K 701 is useless without an amp. Unless you plan on getting an amp in the near future, scratch it off your list.

It would be helpful to know what your music taste is, what kind of music to you listen to most?

In my OP I stated I listened to primarily rock but mix it up often. I game quite often so being spacial and able to emulate decent 3d spaces is important. Some headphones are less sound surrounding than others is the reason I bring it up.

EDIT: Also I mentioned I'm using an X-Fi Plat with a front panel that is capable of outputting a lot of sound. If that isn't the same thing as an amp or something very similar then pardon me for my ignorance. Plus the Senn HD650's are 300 ohms vs 62 Ohms of the AKG. If I were to need an amp it would be with the HD650's and not as much with the AKG's.

May 9, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my OP I stated I listened to primarily rock but mix it up often. I game quite often so being spacial and able to emulate decent 3d spaces is important. Some headphones are less sound surrounding than others is the reason I bring it up.

It sounds like the ATH-A900 would do quite nicely. They are known to be good gaming headphones and from what I've heard they are a decent all-rounder.

May 9, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #28 of 41
They are all in the same price range, HFI-700, K701, and ATH-A900's. So idk I'll do some thinking as its a lot of money. Not anywhere near as much as others but still alot to drop on a pair of cans.

May 9, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #29 of 41
I ended up getting DT770/80's. I like them quite a lot. XENOPHOS is selling new DT880's 2005's for a reasonable price. Might try PM'ing.

- lk

May 9, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #30 of 41
I just bought the ATH-a900's and would definitely recommend those. However I really haven't tried any of the other headphones on your list, with the exception of lower end grados which i did indeed have a huge crush on. (the rs-2's must be insane)
I'm also using the same set up as you, going out of the front headphone port on X-fi Platinum. mmmmmmmm wonderful stuff with the audio technica's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back