Good starter cans for newbies?
May 8, 2007 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Jazic

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I've been scanning the forums for a few days and was hoping to get some input.

Ok right to the point: I've been itching for a new pair of cans as of recently. My choices come down to either a pair of Ultrasone HFI-700 (PROline 650?) or AKG K 701's. As of right now I'm using my PC as my source with a Creative X-Fi with front panel which puts out tons of sound. I barely break 10-20% on the volume nob with any pair I wear so I'm hoping the need for an external amp shouldn't be an issue for now. Also the reason I'm trying to decide between these two are because they appear to offer an around the head type feel that would do good for 3D gaming as well as music.

I'm currently wielding a few pairs of Shure ear canals and was hoping to step up to something for home use. I freakin love my E500's btw! I've also been using a cheap pair of Sony monitor cans and a pair of Bose Triports.

Mainly I plan on using em to listen to rock, soft rock, and some classical music. I also plan on doing alot of gaming so a good spacial field would be nice.

Input is appreciated!

EDIT: Also the AKG's are open and the Ultrasone's are closed type. Would that make a difference? I often run my fans loud when gaming and hope they don't interfere. I don't game 24/7 but when I do I don't want it to be an issue.

May 8, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 41
Anyone?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 41
Burn-in is to be expected. Whats 24 hours hooked up a cd player? Doesn't bother me either way.

Looking at the Ultrasone site the HFI-700's have some pretty nice features:

"Ultrasone HFI-700 headphones were developed from the professional sector and have a frequency response that is specially tuned for DVDs and CDs. Audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts are amazed by the extraordinary sound that seems like it is coming from speakers across the room instead of a pair of headphones. Gamers also enjoy the impressive 3-D sound effects produced by the HFI-700. The low frequency range has also been extended to ensure compatibility with DSP-systems such as Dolby Headphone™ and Yamaha Silent Cinema™."

Wonder if the PROline 650's are worth the $50 price being it has a detachable cord and easier to remove/ replace ear pads.

May 8, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 41
From reading reviews the Ultrasone's seem to be more of a consumer type with better bass presence than the AKG's.

I think I'll go with those unless someone can talk me out of it.

May 8, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 41
I would get the AKG 701, from what I've read, its a really good all-rounder.
Open headphones will leak some sound but its not that bad unless you like to blast your music.

May 9, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get the AKG 701, from what I've read, its a really good all-rounder.
Open headphones will leak some sound but its not that bad unless you like to blast your music.

Ya idk I'll have to do some more reading. About every other review I read says the AKG K 701's are insanely good but lacking in the bass department. Something of the sort of it being there but not intense.

I'm not in high school or have a 2k watt, 24" sub car system but I do like bass. That being said I like high quality bass. I've heard crappy bass headphones and sound systems and I've heard good ones. I want a good one!

Looking at the pricing on the Sennheiser HD650's they seem reasonable for around $300 with shopping around. How would these do for gaming? The Ultrasone's were appealing to me for the promise of more of a 3D sound emulation. Thoughts?

EDIT: And holy wow 300 ohms?! I don't know if the external panel on my X-Fi would handle that much resistance.

May 9, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 41
yeh i wouldnt count on that panel powering the 701s either. for bass, do you like the slam (feeling), texture, or depth (how deep).

the 701s are good in the second two categories. the 650s are bass oriented phones, but are not overly exciting, especially with that front panel.

You seem to have a pretty big budget, but remember, the 580s are very close to the 650s, but much cheaper and you might prefer them if you prefer a little less bass.

If you want a more upfront sound, try the 595s, they use the 580 drivers, but have them set up to be less veiled, more upfront (i have them, and i find them a bit laid back at times and possibly a bit uninvolving, and the 6x0 series is even more laid back than these).

May 9, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 41
Lookup DT770 80ohm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back