Good source for components?
Mar 2, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

omega52

Head-Fier
I am looking to build some elec. projects & am looking for a good source for components. Resistors, caps, pots etc. Anyone here have someone they recommend?

Thanks
kev

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Lots and lots of places. The usual suspects like Mouser, Digikey, Allied, Handmade Audio, Redco, Antique Electronic Supply, Michael Percy Audio, Radio Daze, and probably a few others I've forgotten. I'd post links, but am on the iPhone right now; a quick Google should get you to these.

For transformers, I like Electra-Print, Lundahl (search for K&K Audio), Hammond (widely available), One Electron, Plitron, and Sowter.

However, the best source for parts is in your back yard. Comb the phone book for local electronics and industrial/electronics surplus stores and pay them a visit. You can find oddball industrial leftovers with great transformers inside for much less than a new one. Sometimes they will have grab bags of assorted components. And you can repurpose old cabinets for new projects. Cabinets and transformers are the most expensive parts usually, so if you save on those and get the rest from Mouser you'll save a bundle and get cool cabinets no one else has. Also, get to know the shop owner and tell him what you like or want. You'll start getting phone calls when those come in.

Another great source is the Hamfest. Check with the ARRL site and see when they are in your area. You'll find lots of tubes and lots of bargains. These are also a perfect place to ask people where they find stuff. Oh, and there will be a mess of test equipment, too.

Finally, scour eBay. I got some nifty paper-in-oil caps the other day and have picked off some power transformers on the cheap.

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks much, UNCLE ERIK.
I appreciate your response & apparent interest in quality audio. I just got a pair of MS1s & a PA2V2 amp, but want to build a nice tube amp & some other projects. I am liking the MS1s, but am not enamored with the amp. It's OK, but my reference for my preferred sound right now is a Theta Digital preamp, Bryston PA & Sonus Faber Cremona speakers. I will build a tube amp for that rig sometime, but I want to start with a headphone amp to get my feet wet. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks
kev

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 5
Mouser and Digikey are my top choices. Mouser has much faster shipping. But, they don't always carry everything I need in stock. Often I have to split my order up. I also occasionally order from hmc electronics. Although I sometimes get things from Radio Shack, I don't recommend them. They are way overpriced. There selection is very limited. And, they provide limited information on the components. Mouser and Digikey always provide everything you could possibly want to know and more. Parts connexion is good too - I've only placed a couple of orders there but have been satisfied.

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 5
There is a sticky at the top of this forum, The DIY Big List & Rules Section, that has a list of various vendors and is a good place to check. It doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, but most of the suppliers are still valid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back