Good rock band that starts with 'X'
May 21, 2006 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Denim

500+ Head-Fier
I have at least 2 bands in my collection that start with every letter of the alphabet except for X. I can't leave X out, if there is a suitable band / artist to place there. My musical taste is pretty much mainstream rock from the 60's to now.

Any recomendations?
(I know this is a strange request, what can I say.)

May 21, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 24
Xiu Xiu? Strange (yet good) band, but not exactly rock.

May 21, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 24
Easy one:

XTC

Not my cup of tea at all...and I like the Rock from 60's also...

May 21, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 24
The first two X records are classics, Los Angeles and Wild Gift. Hard to choose a favorite, but LA was the first. Kind of a blend of country folk and punk rock. Pretty big in the early days of punk, with John Doe and Exene trading vocals.

And of course XTC, with Black Sea and English Settlement and Skylarking, among many others. English Settlement is probably my favorite nowadays, or maybe the gentle Mummer, but they have at least a half dozen that could be called classics, that is if you don't get too hung up on that mainstream proviso you mentioned
wink.gif

May 21, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 24
X (did have Exene Cervanke and John Doe singing and basically rockin' hard...'Los Angeles' is my fav. album)

XTC - had lots of great moments, think I like 'English Settlement' best. Jangly pop with psychedelic swirls and smart lyrics.

not quite but,
Brand X (a jazz fusiony mix of some amazing musicians, inc. Phil Collins on drums).

Generation X (Billy Idol's first band)

May 21, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 24
I can't recommend X enough. I'd say get "Beyond and Back" if you're only gonna get 1 album. My favorite west coast punk band ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back