Good quality affordable amp for a Sennheiser HD-650 ?
Dec 4, 2010 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Headphonez

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi, this is my second post so far. But besides that, I'm planning on buying the Sennheiser HD-650 (Yea It's another one of these threads again) but I have a couple questions I need answers to. I'm kind of new to the whole audio world, but I'm quickly learning, and getting my way up there. I'm on a pretty tight budget, and I need a good amp to go with the HD-650s. I can no way afford a full-size headphone amp right now, and I'm not really interested in an audio card for my computer. So I wanted to  get a portable headphone amp, the CMoy one designed by Chu Moy. I was thinking about either buying one or making one myself. If i DO buy one, I'll get this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-Cmoy-headphone-amp-Opamp2227-Amplifier-/250734695764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60f3d554#ht_2196wt_1139
I heard very good reviews of the CMoy amp, and the price is very affordable. With my Senny HD-650s, I plan on using them mostly inside, but I might occasionally take it outside too. I want to buy a CMoy amp now, and then save up some extra money to buy a full-size headphone amp (but that might take some time)
So what do you guys think? Is it a good idea to go with this plan? Or do you recommend a different way on approaching my problem?
Please help me out! Thanks for reading! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 5
No one is replying because, if you search, you'll find more info on this subject than you could possibly read in an entire weekend.

If you think you can afford 650s, but can't afford a full-size amp, then I'd say you can't really afford 650s.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:

If you think you can afford 650s, but can't afford a full-size amp, then I'd say you can't really afford 650s.

Ditto

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 5
Don't make an amp yourself.
Get a good, cheap amp.  Even a FiiO E5 ($22) will power that headphone.  - or -
Get a soundcard with an amp built in.  There are some cheapish Asus Xonar cards that will power the HD-650. 

Quote:
Hey Head-Fi, this is my second post so far. But besides that, I'm planning on buying the Sennheiser HD-650 (Yea It's another one of these threads again) but I have a couple questions I need answers to. I'm kind of new to the whole audio world, but I'm quickly learning, and getting my way up there. I'm on a pretty tight budget, and I need a good amp to go with the HD-650s. I can no way afford a full-size headphone amp right now, and I'm not really interested in an audio card for my computer. So I wanted to  get a portable headphone amp, the CMoy one designed by Chu Moy. I was thinking about either buying one or making one myself. If i DO buy one, I'll get this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-Cmoy-headphone-amp-Opamp2227-Amplifier-/250734695764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60f3d554#ht_2196wt_1139
I heard very good reviews of the CMoy amp, and the price is very affordable. With my Senny HD-650s, I plan on using them mostly inside, but I might occasionally take it outside too. I want to buy a CMoy amp now, and then save up some extra money to buy a full-size headphone amp (but that might take some time)
So what do you guys think? Is it a good idea to go with this plan? Or do you recommend a different way on approaching my problem?
Please help me out! Thanks for reading! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back