good powercord for WA5-LE ( woo audio )
May 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Broken Arrow

Head-Fier
Hi All ,

i am expecting the WA5-LE this week. Since i'am building a new rig from the ground up i am currently looking for a powercord that is  best for the amp.
my budget is 250 euro or US.
any input appreciated.

headphone is the HD800.
source is PC. j.river MC16 incl asus essence STX. soon to be replaced bij a nice USB DAC.

DAC. TBD 

May 15, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 13
thanks.

ok. so what you're saying is that a powercable is a powercable ?  i know that that there is a pro and a con camp , so not trying to get into that discussion.
i have a wireworld powercable. i will try that one first.
was just thinking as there are a lot of  WA owners that the question i have was already sorted out so to speak.
thank for your input though.

edit : just saw that you have a WA also with the hd800. great :wink:

May 15, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Have you checked with jack about the right pwr cord? He must be using something good as my woo amp didn't come with a pwr cord.:) I am using ZU's bok pwr lead which I think is quite good.

May 16, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 13
no not checked with Jack.
but i will check the ZU out. it is not well known over here ( netherlands )
thanks

May 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 13
May 17, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 13
For my Woo amp, I used the common Volex powercord. It's cheap but very durable and has good reviews. Plus I believe it's hospital grade-whatever that means.

But now, I use the Signal Cable Magic Power powercord which is designed for high powered amps. I don't know if it actually improved the sound because I have never bothered to do an A/B comparison but it is thick like a garden hose and really built like a tank (sorry for the cliche expression). The exterior  was designed to resist abrasion, water and oil. I am confident this cord will last many lifetimes and can probably survive an earthquake and nuclear melt down. The cord is so strong, that it can probably be used as a weapon. Plus it looks so cool. And the price was relatively reasonable at around $70 I think. Signal Cable can also make a European plug termination I think.

However, you can't go wrong with a Volex cord though. It's thicker than those common stock cords and probably pet resistant. I doubt a mouse can chew through it.  I now use it for my bedroom amp as it is tough and durable as well.  I'm not sure if Volex has European plugs though.

May 17, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 13
Pangea is very popular here (Thailand), and being respected by audiophiles as a value power cord, nice punch, smooth mid.
IMHO, any Shunyata cable starting from Taipan and above should work well.

May 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #10 of 13

those cables are above my budget at the moment

Quote:
Pangea is very popular here (Thailand), and being respected by audiophiles as a value power cord, nice punch, smooth mid.
IMHO, any Shunyata cable starting from Taipan and above should work well.

May 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 13
signal cables i will check out. they look like serious cables so i think i will order 1 and if i like it will buy some more.
thanks 

May 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 13
You might find Taipan Alpha (Old version) at Audiogon around your budget, I used to connect it to Woo 6 and Woo GES Max with excellent result. Anyway, in case you're interested.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Hi All ,

i am expecting the WA5-LE this week. Since i'am building a new rig from the ground up i am currently looking for a powercord that is  best for the amp.
my budget is 250 euro or US.
any input appreciated.

headphone is the HD800.
source is PC. j.river MC16 incl asus essence STX. soon to be replaced bij a nice USB DAC.

DAC. TBD 

Now that some time has passed, have you found any sound changes with power cords? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back