Good places for slim/fitted dress shirts?
Jul 7, 2006 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ls20

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm a bicyclist. I go about 5'10, 145lb. Which is good...for my health... but it means I can't fit in a shirt at Macys'Foleys'Dillards'Nordstroms worth a damn. Even the 'slim/fitted' shirts I try on there... they're all either tight at the neck and short at the arms or just too loose around the waist.

Are there good e-tailers where I can purchase some shirts without breaking the bank (ie <triple digits) ? some european makers, perhaps... it'd be great if i didnt have to resort to going to the tailors...

thanks!

Jul 7, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 18
Their prices are a touch higher than the stores you mentioned, but take a look at Brooks Brothers. I buy almost all of my dress shirts there, and couldn't be happier.

I've got a different build than you (people ask me to help move refrigerators and large furniture), but a friend of mine is similar to you and he has to wear dress shirts to work- at a department store. He doesn't buy at his store, he buys Brooks Brothers.

It's worth a little more to get the wrinkle-free versions, too. You really can toss them into the washer and dryer with good results. If you want to save some money, you can often find new and used ones on eBay. Their measurements are pretty accurate, so you can buy online if you've got your measurements.

Also, see if an outlet store is nearby. If you go to one, look for garments that have the full "Brooks Brothers" label in them. If they have the "346" label, that's their less expensive line just for outlet stores. 346 is alright, but you're better off buying the real thing on closeout.

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 18
I second Erik's recommendation for BB, but you'll have to look harder for the "athletic fit." Try Kenneth Cole. These are not the best wearing shirts, but they'll fit your build. You'll also find them very heavily discounted (sometimes around $15 per shirt) at Marshalls in the US (where do you live?).

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 18
Just my two cents, I find Kenneth Cole to be as baggy as the rest of them - I put them in the Macys'Foleys'Dillards'Nordstroms category.

Honestly, I've only been happy with international stuff for this issue. Prada, Helmut Lang, they all can make slim shirts. Japanese designers (Takeo Kikuchi, Comme Ca) do it as well. But for a skinny Asian guy (5'6, 125), I've yet to find a slim fit shirt in the States.

Check out Zara. You might find something there. But I find them to be too cheaply made to last for long.

Best,

-Jason

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 18
I am of big build as well, but Ralph Lauren Polo fits me pretty well. I also find that the sleeves are a little small in both length and diameter, but its not so bad. Those whits might fit you well (been a while since I've been that skinny
smily_headphones1.gif
)

For reference, I am 6'3 235 with about 15% BF

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 18
ls20,
im in the same situation as you, thanks for creating the thread. i've been wondering the same thing. my experience has been hit and miss. I have 2 shirts from club monaco that fit almost perfectly. my perry ellis tend to be too big, same with my kenneth cole. CK and Banana republic shirts have gone both ways, some shirts being narrow, some too wide.

thanks for the BB rec guys, i'll have to check that too.

Jul 7, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Just my two cents, I find Kenneth Cole to be as baggy as the rest of them - I put them in the Macys'Foleys'Dillards'Nordstroms category.

Honestly, I've only been happy with international stuff for this issue. Prada, Helmut Lang, they all can make slim shirts. Japanese designers (Takeo Kikuchi, Comme Ca) do it as well. But for a skinny Asian guy (5'6, 125), I've yet to find a slim fit shirt in the States.

have you tried Pink? There's a few branches here in the city and my friend (who fits the build you decribe) swears by their dress shirts. In fact I just surfed their online store and they make a nice Walton shirt for under 50 bucks.

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 18
I live in Houston, chockfull of malls and boutique shops, but I didnt want to pay boutique prices. Maybe 70$ a shirt is good.

Tried the KC Reaction stuff yesterday -- still large. THanks for the BB recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif

A while ago there was a website posted to a british maker, with tons of colors and styles (cuffs, collars, etc)... can't quite run a search on it, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20

A while ago there was a website posted to a british maker, with tons of colors and styles (cuffs, collars, etc)... can't quite run a search on it, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you sure it's not Pink? He's british and the website lets you choose your shirt that way online as well.

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 18
Banana Republic has shirts that fits me well. I'm 5'7" 140lbs, so their small fits me well.

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
maybe gain some weight or bulk up so you can save the money for headphones instead
600smile.gif

So then he'll gain weight and won't have any shirts that fit him?

Yeah...you didn't think that one through did'ja?

Anyways, I'm 6'0" 155 and I've found that it's nearly impossible to find good fitting dress shirts. It looks like we're screwed
frown.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #15 of 18
I'm 5'7" and 125, the only shirts that fit me are Zara, H&M sometimes, and Benneton/ Sisley. Unfortunately they aren't really dressy, I mostly use them for casual wear.

I found some solace in made to measure shirts when I spent a semester in S.E Asia. Brought in some shirts that fit alright to a tailor. I asked the guy to change this, that etc and it worked out rather well. Once I got a decent product, I ordered about 10 or so. If you head out to India, Thailand, etc. those are great countries to do something like this.

Another option you have is looking into some of the web portal for some of the made to measure from S.E Asia. You can send them a sample and explain what you want.

If you're serious about that option, reply here or pm me and I'll see if I can find some reputable companies for you.

The final option is, of course, bespoke shirts. That will set you back about $400 a shirt though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back