Good pizza?
Aug 2, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
Chicago, not New York, is the land where pizza was perfected

Wrong on both counts
biggrin.gif
!

New Haven, Connecticut still has the best pizza I've ever had. Thin-crust style, of course. If you happen to be in the area, try my two favs, in order:

1. Modern Apizza - State St.
2. Sally's Apizza - Worcester St.

Frozen - fuggedaboudit!!

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Wrong on both counts
biggrin.gif
!

New Haven, Connecticut still has the best pizza I've ever had. Thin-crust style, of course. If you happen to be in the area, try my two favs, in order:

1. Modern Apizza - State St.
2. Sally's Apizza - Worcester St.

Frozen - fuggedaboudit!!

OK, next time I go there...

I kinda figures, with Yale there. Those types wouldn't settle for junk pizza
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 47
Chef Boy-ar-Dee beats frozen stuff.

The best fresh pizzas I've had were in NYC and in Buffalo. But Blondies in Berkeley is pretty fine, and LA sometimes has some good "NYC-style" pizza.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #19 of 47
For frozen pizza, I like the any of the ones with a rising crust.
But they cost more.
Tombstone is pretty good, but I like to add my own toppings like onions, fresh tomatoes, avocados and anchovies.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 47
chicago style is sexy if you've ever had the pleasure to experience the real deal.. better not to even critique it if you've never had it.. new york is amazing as well but my top goes to giordano's, as there is so much more substance that goes into a slice-- what's not to like ny fans??

i think the frozen stuff is "ok" but i suppose if i had to buy that crap i'd go to the freschetta brand:

http://www.freschetta.com/

it's probably the best i've had that comes from a freezer..

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcans
better not to even critique it if you've never had it.. new york is amazing as well but my top goes to giordano's, as there is so much more substance that goes into a slice-- what's not to like ny fans??

I've been to Giordano's a few times though it was a long time ago. I agree with previous posters that the crust is lacking, though the stuff inside the thin, inadequate crust is fine.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #22 of 47
http://www.stlouisstylepizza.com

We order this a couple times a year. If you never had St. Louis style pizza, you need to try it at least once. It's not like Chicago, nor New York nor anything else.

Provel Cheese, really rich tasting. Fenel seed sauce, and extremely thin crust. Stick to cheese or Italian Sausage.

Delicious!

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
http://www.giordanos.com/shop/home.php?cat=1

Order a spinach & mushroom and realize why Chicago, not New York, is the land where pizza was perfected
wink.gif

--Illah

Gino's East is the best pizza in the world. Period. End of story (yes it's in Chicago).

However, frozen-wise, either making it yourself with Boboli's crust, your own toppings and your own sauce and cheeses (I personally employ a mixture of over 20), I think either the basic Tombstones you're getting on the Digiorno Deep Dish are the way to go. For the best, crispiest results on the crust, ALWAYS put directly on an oven rack, and not on the cookie sheet.

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #25 of 47
Well, someone should pitch in for Los Angeles. If you're in the area, go here:

Hank's Pizza
442 W. Manchester Avenue
Playa del Rey, CA 90293
310-823-9647

I've been picking up from there for several years now. Some of the best I've ever had. Everyone who's had it loves Hank's.

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Gino's East is the best pizza in the world. Period. End of story (yes it's in Chicago).

Damn straight!

If I remember right the one I went to was near a college downtown. Wouldn't want to see it in the daytime thought!

Aug 2, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #27 of 47
Frozen style? I'd have to say Freschetta is my pizza of choice.

Restaurant:
The best pizza that I've ever had here in the Bay Area is from Zachary's Pizza. There's a location in Oakland and in Berkeley, and a location in San Ramon is in the works. They have Deep Dish Chicago Style (to die for!) and Thin Crust.

Pinky's Pizza Parlour in Walnut Creek is also an awesome pizza place!

Aug 2, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #28 of 47
Deep dish isn't pizza... it's cooked bruschetta. I'll take a NY slice any day.

As for the best pizza. I like mine true Italian style, so my hat goes off to Ciro's in NYC. His Pizza Rabiolo da Ciro is to die for.

You can't get a decent slice in California.

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #29 of 47
For frozen pizza, I like Palermos thin crust. Bake it on the oven rack (use parchment paper to save a big mess-they sometimes overflow a bit). Nice cracker-thin crust and tangy sauce. I like the margharita style best.

I lived in Chicago for many years, so I do have a soft spot for Giordanos pizza. My favorite Chicago pizza, though, is that from Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company. Unlike any pizza you've ever had in your life.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #30 of 47
Buffalo, NY for the best pizza around. Couple that with a side of the world's greatest chicken wings (buffalo wings for all you outsiders) and you have one of the best meals on the planet. Frozen, I'm not a huge fan but I have been known to enjoy a tombstone stuffed crust. I'd say pick up some pizza dough and load it up with whatever you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back