Good open earbuds for running?
May 30, 2011 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

McQueen

New Head-Fier
I need help finding a good solution for running.  I've tried my PMX-100s, but they require too much fiddling and adjustment during the run.  My trusty JVC Marshmallows have too much isolation to be safe around cars.  My iPod headphones would be a great solution, but they hurt my ears after about 10 minutes. 

Has anyone had better luck?

My preferences are as follows:

1. $50-ish or under
  2. Stays put while running
  3. Comfortable (more comfortable than iBuds anyway)
  4. Open design (so I can hear traffic)
  5. Earbuds (or something similar) are preferable
  6. Minimal harmonics from cable
  7. Sound quality is not of primary importance due to the noisy environment (I save the good IEMs for home use)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

May 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 7
I personally would lean towards the MEElectronics M6 (but they seal out noise) or Marshall Minors for on the go movement.  If you are using the Minors, keep the cable on the outside of your shirt and use the clip.

May 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 7
Price is over your requirement and the brand is hated by most head-fi members but the Bose IE2 is probably perfect for your needs. Look for a sale or a used pair. Or I hate to say go pick up a pair of eBay on the cheap (if they re really cheap your likely getting a counterfeit pair but so long as the price is in your wheelhouse it's the open back design your really after). Also you can buy the original IE model and then just buy the newer tips that help stay inlace while running. The tips a cheap to buy and the IE model is even a bit more open backed.

Sound wise these are just OK but so long as you NEVER pay full retail they are a decent bud that will suite your specific needs well.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 7
M6 has too much isolation and I'm not sure if the Minors fit the bill on comfort, but thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate the response.

Thanks for the recommendation on the IE2.  I just wish they were cheaper.  I've had no luck finding the IE2 at anything less than the Amazon retail price, which I tend to agree is pretty steep for what you're getting.  The used price on Ebay isn't much less, which isn't worth the risk of used.  I'm surprised there aren't more options for this kind of application.  Open buds just aren't very popular I guess.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Hm, those are the only two I've used.  YO ucan also try: Yuin headphones (they offer both IEM and earbud) or Marshall Minors...  AKG?  It's the open part that makes it tougher. 

Review of Marshall Minors: http://www.ifans.com/blog/20808/ (sorry, not from Head-Fi)

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 7
If you can go a little higher in price, I just got the Phiaton PS 20 for the same purpose. To me they sound great.  Only moderate isolation, which is what you are looking for.  What is also good about them is that because they don't create a tight seal, you won't hear thumping when you run. They were recommended by the experts on this site, and turned out to be a great choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back