Good news about Android phone supports digital audio output
Jun 19, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #91 of 253
My theory of  SGS3 Full-Speed / High-Speed switching issue is wrong. 
The SGS3 interworks with the USB DAC "ODAC" using the USB controller Tenor TE7022.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/60#post_8468969

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #92 of 253
Quote:
My theory of  SGS3 Full-Speed / High-Speed switching issue is wrong. 
The SGS3 interworks with the USB DAC "ODAC" using the USB controller Tenor TE7022.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/60#post_8468969

Didnt feiao say it the E17 didn't work because of a possible lack of power?

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #94 of 253
Quote:
I remember he said that.
But NZtechfreak has unsuccessfully tested the E17 with the SGS3 via a powered USB hub.

i would wait till the first batch of official updates are rolled out, it could be a bug

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #96 of 253
Quote:
Interesting news.  Will this work on the Sony Xperia S / Arc HD / LT26i?

You will haveto check USB host support, with Cyanogenmod it may very well, but don't know about stock kernel

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #98 of 253
Quote:
How do check dat

You can do a check of the current phone and ROM by downloading USB Audio Tester But it needs a rooted phone.

Otherwise your going to haveto check with the manufacturer for the stock ROM. 

But for custom roms like Cyanogenmod which does support USB audio and USB host, you will haveto check with the guy who put together the final ROM, its part of the kernel whether or not they implemented what is needed. SO basically:

Find out the ROM -> Find out the Kernel used in the ROM -> Find out if that kernel supports USB Host and USB audio (ALSA drivers)

for that you will haveto do a fair amount of digging.

My HTC HD2 modded running Cyanogenmod has more special requirements then most devices, it has the OS level support, and they have just got the HW level support but it has not yet filtered through into my particular ROM.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #99 of 253
@Kiteki

for instance:

My ROM: Typhoon Cyanogenmod 7.2(android 2.3.7)
and it states it uses the tytung r14 kernel
so...

My Kernel: tytung R14
and it states it uses ALSA sound drivers, which support USB audio. 
Cyanogenmod Natively supports USB host. SO for most devices this would be it. End of story.

On my phone since its natively WinMo 6.0 things are different. It needs more hardware support.
and they have got USB Host working: here and has been said to work on Gingerbread, but it breaks ADB, which is not an option for me, so I have all the ingredients, but the cake is not finished baking.

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #101 of 253
Quote:
Sorry I'm not good at smartphones, I don't know where to look for that info, I'll just... buy the Colorfly CK4 instead lol. =p

XDA-Developers generally.

Lol yeah do that :) or wait until its standardized.

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #102 of 253
Quote:
i would wait till the first batch of official updates are rolled out, it could be a bug

It seems that the SGS3 - FiiO E10 non-interworking cause is due to a buggy descriptor:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs-how-to-increase-the-issues-priority-with-google/75#post_8469751

Jun 21, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #104 of 253
Quote:
I have a galaxy s, galaxy note, galaxy s2, galaxy s3 , htc sensation , htc one x running on android 4.0. Would assist in testing if needed.

then do :) pair it with any driverless USB dac. and post the results. And mention ROMS/Kernels if you did flash new ROMS.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #105 of 253
wow, I thought it was hard getting iphone to output digital lol. I havent checked this thread for ages and things dont seem to have changed at all. I use an iphone and would continue to for phonecalls, but would buy a GSII or other device used just to use as a transport for my portable dac. I can build the usb receiver->i2s convceror into a little module for my dac and give it its own power, but wont bother till its stable on something and that doesnt seem to be happening any time soon.

happy to be corrected there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back