Good Neutral(Preferably Closed) Headphones
Mar 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #32 of 52
If I had to nitpick, I'd say the K271 highs are just a tad bit too boosted to be neutral, while the bass is just very slightly too weak to be neutral, just a personal opinion. They do get the midrange bang on neutral though IMO. Overall neutrality is great for a closed can of this price range regardless.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
=243&graphID[1]=183&graphID[2]=23&graphID[3]=913&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]Here's a graph from headroom with the frequency responce of some of the cans mentioned in this thread you add the DT250 if you want, it will not tell teh whole story but give you an iddea of the different soundsignatures.

Interesting to compare the Shure 840 with the k271 down in the bass end. Can that graph of the 840 possibly be accurate? I hope not...it's supposed to be a neutral studio monitor.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #34 of 52
The K271 mkII has quite good bass. Not as good as the HD600, but it is most certainly there. I would not call them bass light by any means as they reproduce fairly accurately the amount of bass in a song. I always wonder if the people who say the K271 is bass light have actually heard the headphone. I've never heard the M50, but many people enjoy the sound it makes. I think either way you will be pleased with the sound you get.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting to compare the Shure 840 with the k271 down in the bass end. Can that graph of the 840 possibly be accurate? I hope not...it's supposed to be a neutral studio monitor.

I definitely started to doubt those frequency graphs when I saw that according to them the Ultrasone Edition 8 is supposed to have much less bass than the SRH840 (which is to me a fairly neutral pair of headphone).

It doesn't seem accurate at all to me.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't stand the sound of the m50s when I got them in case anyone wants an extra opinion. the low end was bloated, highs were emphasized and mids were recessed. Not neutral sounding at all to me.

You cant fight the FOTM!!!!
Doesnt matter what it sounds like. You have to have the popular new thing.
ph34r.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely started to doubt those frequency graphs when I saw that according to them the Ultrasone Edition 8 is supposed to have much less bass than the SRH840 (which is to me a fairly neutral pair of headphone).

It doesn't seem accurate at all to me.

Well the Edition 8 is fairly neutral though so it´s possible. They are certainly no bass monsters quite mid range centric. Graph indicate much less low bass then the 900 for example which is what I hear as well even with my KeeS modded 900s.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

What did you plug those headphones into? The beyer has less bass than the k272?? That's not only contrary to everything I've read(I did a lot of research on those before picking up a second hand set of 250's), but the dt250 I used has very good bass, and FWIR the k272 is very light in that area.

I'm using a Headroom Micro Amp.

I've heard the same thing that you're said about the bass, but when I listen to organ or cello pieces the 272 has a more powerful lower-end bass to my ears. There's nothing wrong with the bass on the 250, it's plenty accurate, it's just a bit thin. They're both not bassy headphones though, which is fine for me.

I'll tell you what though, I'll take my 250s to work today, and listen to some rap and electronica and see if I change my mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #39 of 52
DragOn, I resisted the HD201, the RX700 and many more to find joy in what I have. May the anti-fotm force be with you.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't stand the sound of the m50s when I got them in case anyone wants an extra opinion. the low end was bloated, highs were emphasized and mids were recessed. Not neutral sounding at all to me.

If you don't want low end bloat, emphasized highs, & recessed mids get the DT48..

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #41 of 52
Say I went with open headphones, What would fit the bill then. I'd want something with wide sound stage, somewhat neutral, and with a low enough impedance to be driven by cmoy. Also, prefer something replacable and durable. How are the Beyerdynamic Pro series?

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't want low end bloat, emphasized highs, & recessed mids get the DT48..

My wallet must wait before it can get some dt48
biggrin.gif

At the moment, I am enjoying the bass heavy dt150s because they do the other essentials really well. I'm hoping the bass can be fixed a little when my velour pads arrive
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke11235 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent a bunch of time looking around, and I've kinda failed to find a versatile closed headphone. I prefer neutral sound, no emphasis on any any particular set of frequencies, a wide sound stage, and something that can play jazz or rock equally, preferably with a wide soundstage. I guess it would be a jack of all trades pair of headphones, preferably without an amp.

For jazz K271 have an edge over SRH840 because the Shures emphasize drums a bit too much. For rock SRH840 edge out the K271 because drums and voice aren't held up enough by the bass and they lose a bit of fullness to my ears.
ph34r.gif
But D5000 sound better than both for all music genres except electronica, where they might be a touch too polite. The soundtage of D5000 is fantastic, so-so with K271 and a bit shallow with SRH840. So for your criteria I'd recommend the D2000. Better still, unless you really need closed cans, get open headphones. IMO my Grado SR225 sound better than all these headphones except maybe with classical, and HF-1 kill them. And they were cheap as chips used (I currently own all the above except D2000).

I also had the opposite impression than SanJoseCanJunkie of Beyer 250 (250ohm) headphones vs K271/2 - the Beyer have more bass to my ears, while the AKG have almost perfect sound isolation and the Beyer leaked so much sound that I returned them. Were you wearing the headphones inside-out?
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Headroom Micro Amp.

I've heard the same thing that you're said about the bass, but when I listen to organ or cello pieces the 272 has a more powerful lower-end bass to my ears. There's nothing wrong with the bass on the 250, it's plenty accurate, it's just a bit thin. They're both not bassy headphones though, which is fine for me.

I'll tell you what though, I'll take my 250s to work today, and listen to some rap and electronica and see if I change my mind
smily_headphones1.gif

O.K. but take the k272 as well and compare. The dt250 does pop and rock bass very well IMO...don't know about hip hop and electronica since I rarely listen to them. Funny thing is that one forum member wrote that the dt250 80ohm version has TOO MUCH bass. I've never heard the k272 so you may very well be right about that one...I'm just passing along what so many have told me about them being too weak in the low end.

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

O.K. but take the k272 as well and compare. The dt250 does pop and rock bass very well IMO...don't know about hip hop and electronica since I rarely listen to them. Funny thing is that one forum member wrote that the dt250 80ohm version has TOO MUCH bass. I've never heard the k272 so you may very well be right about that one...I'm just passing along what so many have told me about them being too weak in the low end.

Try the 271 MKll they are great, especially if you like the 240DF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back