Good Neutral(Preferably Closed) Headphones
Mar 4, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #16 of 52
It's a pity I can't justify the Beyerdynamic DT48E, because they look exactly like I want. 250$ is roughly the limit on what I can justify on spending, especially on just headphones. The AKG 271 mkii look durable, have a neutral response, and replacable cord. There are some complaints about the bass. I prefer natural bass, but I would like it to be there. Owners care to coment? Thanks for the help

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head fi, you're in the right direction. For natural closed hp try the 271MKll, as for open I'll recommend the K-702. You'll need an amp and DAC, or some nice sound cards that can drive them well.

Well, here we agree Acix
biggrin.gif

For the price range that you're looking at, the K-701/2 would fit the bill just nicely. But as Acix mentioned, a headphone amp (preferably SS IMO with my experiences) is a must.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke11235 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a pity I can't justify the Beyerdynamic DT48E, because they look exactly like I want. 250$ is roughly the limit on what I can justify on spending, especially on just headphones. The AKG 271 mkii look durable, have a neutral response, and replacable cord. There are some complaints about the bass. I prefer natural bass, but I would like it to be there. Owners care to coment? Thanks for the help

I've got the AKG K271MKII. Running unamped, it's pretty satisfying. If you're coming straight from a pair of headphones with an emphasized bass response, they will sound incredibly bass-light. However, I've never found the bass lacking; it's present, it goes fairly deep; I would call it neutral. It is a bit quiet, but for my purposes I always run with an amp.

With an amp, even a portable one like a CMoy, PIMETA, mini3, etc., you'll find more bass and volume. Given that the headphones can be had for ~$160 and a CMoy can be had for $35, I'd suggest that route.

I wrote a review about them, I liked them so much :).

EDIT: If you were to find the bass lacking, the MKII comes with a set of velour pads and a set of vinyl pads. The velour pads have slightly more bass at the cost of muddling it up a bit. I find the velour more comfortable too.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by duke11235 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the 271 or m50 will be good for you.. More neutral then a lot of other headphones, without going to the extreme..

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #22 of 52
Mar 4, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnzz4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I've never heard the Beyer DT-250's, you may want to look into those as well based on what I've read...

I own both the Beyers and the AKGs, and while I like the DT250, the K 272 is much more transparent, has more depth, has better bass, and has a better cable situation.

On the flip side, the DT250 has an inoffensive sound signature, and is slightly more involving - in that respect it may be a stronger all-rounder than the 272. The 80ohm version is also easier to drive than the 272, and it leaks less sound (although, weirdly, it blocks out less sound).

For the cosmetically minded (like those with piercings), the DT250, while "old-looking", has a much thinner profile, so it isn't nearly as embarrassing to wear when you're out and about as most high-end headphones.

But for this guy, I would solidly recommend the 272 over the DT250; I think it just sounds better overall, and it's also $50 cheaper last time I checked.

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #24 of 52
ATH M50 or K271 should do you just fine. They are both really neutral except in the bass departement. The M50 has a bit more lower bass than neutral and the K271 is really bass light. pick your poison

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #25 of 52
+1 for the ATH-M50's. I listened to a pair at Guitar Center the other day and was convinced. For a closed pair of phones, they easily give my more expensive Senn 595's a run for their money. The lower end seemed tighter and more detailed but that isnt to say that they are colored. They did a pretty nice job of isolating a lot of the noise from the crappy drummers who were testing equipment there. The sound leakage is also kept down to a minimum. Huge contrast from my Senn 595's which can be easily heard 10' away. I came straight home and bought a pair off ebay for a damn good price. Hope this helps.

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #26 of 52
I couldn't stand the sound of the m50s when I got them in case anyone wants an extra opinion. the low end was bloated, highs were emphasized and mids were recessed. Not neutral sounding at all to me.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #27 of 52
I think that you should consider Srh840 too, I haven't heard it or the AKG K271, but the Shures seem to have more bass than the K271 without loosing the neutrality, they can be bought rather cheap in the US. at around 135$ if you make an offer to the rigth vendor and then you should be able to afford a µDAC too.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #28 of 52
My Sennheiser HD428 is holding up pretty good compared to my old and new Pioneer. It's a good cheaper option and with a good burn in the bass comes alive. With some extra power it comes alive even more but the sound from my Clip + is impressive.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #29 of 52
OP,
if you can swing the $$ for a Mini3 amp, you'll be able to get the most out of the numerous HPs recommended here (except K701). keep your eyes peeled on the For Sale forums as well.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanJoseCanJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the Beyers and the AKGs, and while I like the DT250, the K 272 is much more transparent, has more depth, has better bass, and has a better cable situation.

On the flip side, the DT250 has an inoffensive sound signature, and is slightly more involving - in that respect it may be a stronger all-rounder than the 272. The 80ohm version is also easier to drive than the 272, and it leaks less sound (although, weirdly, it blocks out less sound).

For the cosmetically minded (like those with piercings), the DT250, while "old-looking", has a much thinner profile, so it isn't nearly as embarrassing to wear when you're out and about as most high-end headphones.

But for this guy, I would solidly recommend the 272 over the DT250; I think it just sounds better overall, and it's also $50 cheaper last time I checked.

What did you plug those headphones into? The beyer has less bass than the k272?? That's not only contrary to everything I've read(I did a lot of research on those before picking up a second hand set of 250's), but the dt250 I used has very good bass, and FWIR the k272 is very light in that area. Not trying to start an argument, but only reporting what my ears and other head-fi'ers are telling me. YMMV I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back