Good music for devotional reading?
Nov 3, 2001 at 6:28 AM Post #16 of 18
Check several albuns from the Alia Vox label, with Jordi Savall (including Bach).

Excellent sound engineering, and it might be just what you're after. Works for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

B00004RJSC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nov 3, 2001 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
stuartr: all right.....we'll form a partnership, then
smily_headphones1.gif

Coltrane's musical career is quite interesting....he went from one of the most "straight-up," Lester Young-type saxophonists who was technically superb.....but not very open creatively.

(no offense to fans of Lester.......Trane just blows his solos away, tho, IMO).

Anyway......

A good starting place is "Blue Train." A solid album on par, IMO, with Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis (another classic album).

To venture more into the REAL Trane sound....which is more free, avant-gardish than traditional swing or chordal jazz, try "A Love Supreme" (my all time-favorite album).

Perhaps the most dissonant piece he ever was involved with would be "Ascension" - as close to a big band recording as he ever got.

Also try "Giant Steps," "My Favorite Things," and "Crescent" for some brilliant solos.....

Also check out Miles Davis. And Sonny Rollins. And Charlie Parker. And Dexter Gordon......there's quite a few more....just ask.....

I think Vig hit the nail on the head w/ Kind of Blue, Blue Train, My favorite Things, Giant Steps as good starting points. Classic Records put out a 96/24 DAD of Blue Train that's supposed to be the best(wish i hadn't sold my DVDP). Also the Mofi release is still floating out there as is the Giant Steps Gold.

As for other essential early Miles, the classic Quintet put three great recordings called: Cookin', Workin', and Steamin'. I think Cookin' is the most balanced and diverse one if I had to choose. You can get DCC, XRCD, or the more recent excellent K2 versions. Analouge Productions even has a box set of either Gold Discs or LPs. This group also out out "Milestones"(w/addition of Cannonball) and "Round About Midnight" which are worthy as well.

IMO "Somethin' Else"
cool.gif
by Miles/Cannonball is on par with any of these in terms of pure enjoyment. I have the original Mofi and it is a fine recording. Classic has a DAD version version too.

After this stuff, you may think alot of other stuff sucks so be warned
eek.gif

If you want to venture even before this period(though I think the 50s and 60s were most significant to today's musicians) you may want to return to Louis Armstrong "Hot 5s and 7s" or Benny Goodman "Carnegie Hall Concert". Coming from a classical perspective, Duke Ellington would be very relevant. Then Charlie Parker of course - the 1997 Rhino comp covers all his periods pretty well.

If you want something that combines Charlie Parker & early Coltrane(without the growls) consider Sonny Stitt. His "Endgame Brillance" comp from 71&72 is brillant and the sound is great if that turned you off to Parker.

Of todays groups(something void today), the Dave Holland Quintet is king IMO. Pickup both "Prime Directive" & "Not for Nothin', the latter having top notch sound(Check out Wes Philips' article on it at his Onhifi site):
http://onhifi.com/music/20010901.htm
Very highly classical music structure to it too.

A Love Supreme, Ascension, and Crescent should be ventured into later on if you don't like "free" or avant type music.

Nov 3, 2001 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 18
For a beautiful piece of modern music, that is both dissonant and consonant, with good melodies and brilliant orchestration, try Artur Bliss' A Colour Symphony, on the Enchant label with Ulster Orchestra/Vernon Handley. There are only 3 recordings that I know of anyway (one is on Naxos, third on some english label I think). On this disk you get both the symphony and the very nice cello concerto, and the performance is excellent. This is a disk that's very frequently in my player. Naxos recording is also worthwhile as it includes Adam Zero ballet which is also quite intriguing (though I haven't listened to it much, yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back