Good music for devotional reading?
Nov 2, 2001 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I'm new here and pretty ignorant about classical music. I wanted some of your expert advice about some good selections for listening when reading the Bible or other "serious" reading. There can be no vocals, of course. I like classical but something like Bach or chamber music would be out. I like melodic, interesting stuff I hear them play on classical stations, but I never know who/what is playing. I have also liked more dissonant stuff like Stravinsky, etc. I plan on getting a really good set of cans (like HD600's, RS1's, or something) eventually. Can anyone help?

Nov 2, 2001 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 18
Well, after reading your subject, the first thing I would have suggested would have been Bach and chamber music. Most of Bach's music was written for that express service -- it was to be played during church services. If you would by chance reconsider, I would suggest picking up a copy of his cello suites (played by Mstislav Rostropovich on EMI), as they are some of the most beautiful pieces ever written. That and his Mass in B-minor (I like the Archiv recording).
If you insist on something more modern and discordant :
wink.gif
, read on. Once again, I would suggest either Bartok or Shostakovich's string quartets, but if you don't like chamber music
confused.gif
then try some of their concertos or symphonies. I like Shostie's first Cello Concerto, though it might be a little much to read to.

Nov 2, 2001 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 18
Sorry, I hit submit by mistake. Continuing...the pieces you would probably like best if you listen to classical stations are by Vivaldi, Beethoven and Mozart. You will be happy with Vivaldi's Four Seasons (I like Itzhak Perlman's old recording) or any of Beethoven's works. I like his piano sonatas and string quartets best, but you might like his symphonies better. You can't really go wrong with him. As for Mozart, I never really took too much of a liking to him, but I am pretty much the only one
biggrin.gif
so chances are you will like him. Try his Jupiter Symphony. For more modern stuff, Schoenberg, Berg, and Kodaly will be a bit more discordant, but for beautiful, melodic and complex music try Rachmaninov, particularly his Piano Concertos 2 and 3 and his 3rd Symphony. I hope I have not overwhelmed you. Personally, I like to read to Bach, and I would still highly recommend his cello suites or any of his masses. As for vocal music, if you can't understand it, it usually does not distract you. If you don't speak German or Latin, you should be fine.
Talk to me if you have any questions,
Stuart

Nov 2, 2001 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for your thoughts Stuart. Can you recommend any *specific* recordings of Rachmaninov's works (orchestra / label, etc)?

Nov 2, 2001 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 18
stuartr: If you like that Yefim Bronfman, you should consider picking up his recording of the Shostakovich Piano Concertos and Quintet, very cool.

johnnylexus: You might want to look into some Satie piano works. Satie was an early 20th century minimalist composer who, for a period of his life, was interested in writing what he called "furnature music," which could be enjoyed without direct attention by the listener. I'll often put on some Satie while I'm studying, since it doesn't distract me from the task at hand. His most famous works are the three Gymnopedies, but make sure to look beyond those for plenty of interesting stuff. Pascal Roge has done some nice Satie recordings, if you're interested.

Nov 2, 2001 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 18
By the way, what is your adversion to chamber music? It's some of my favorite music both to play and listen to... you do realize that it extends far beyond Bach Brandenburg Concertos and Haydn String Quartets, right? There's plenty of more modern chamber music that's really wonderful, like the Bartok and Shostakovich String Quartets that stuartr mentioned.

Sorry, just had to do a little campaigning for my favorite genre.
smily_headphones1.gif
If you'd like suggestions for some great chamber music, I'd be happy to give you some pieces to look into.

Nov 2, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 18
Hmm......this chamber music interests me.

Who would you chamber music buffs consider the most dissonant composer?

I really dig dissonance in music.........

Thanks in advance.

Nov 2, 2001 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 18
Hmm... most dissonant? I don't know; I'm not really big into lots of dissonance. You might want to look into the Ives string quartet, though I'm not sure if that's as dissonant as some of his later stuff. Lately, I've really been enjoying the Messiaen Quartet for the End of Time. Fascinating piece. He wrote it while he was in a Nazi concentration camp, so you can guess that it's a little weird. It's not dissonant as much as it's very modal and non-traditional scale based. Definitely a piece to check out if you're interested in something a little avant-garde.

Nov 2, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 18
Different is always good, too. Thanx for the rec.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 18
coolvij, I am not sure whom I would say the most dissonant composer is, but if you are interested in that area, you might want to check out 20th century composer Benjamin Britten. As a cello fan, and reprehensibly bad cellist, I can appreciate the virtuosity of Mstislav Rostropovich playing his three cello suites and his cello concerto. The cello is rather dramatic for dissonant pieces because it has such a great range. The deep lower C can vibrate like a jack hammer, and the highest notes can be extremely piercing. It is also a great instrument to listen to in headphones.....it is just suited well to their intimacy. So now that my propaganda is over
wink.gif
, I would suggest those pieces, or also for perhaps more dissonance, the serialists and atonalists Schoenberg, Bartok, Boulez etc. I would consider Schoenberg the Nietzsche of music though, so if you are looking for someone who really blew everyone out of the water when he started, try him.
word
Stu

Nov 3, 2001 at 5:14 AM Post #12 of 18
Stuartr: Thanks a lot - I know so little about classical music, and I really appreciate the help. There really is a LOT of stuff to choose from
smily_headphones1.gif

To sum it up nicely, I want a John Coltrane equivalent composer
smily_headphones1.gif

(if that's even possible.....)

Nov 3, 2001 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 18
Ha, maybe you can help me with jazz then! I know next to nothing. The only real jazzy stuff I have listened to is Isotope 217 who are a pretty modern outfit made up from members of the chicago music scene...particularly thrill jockey bands -- tortoise, chicago underground duo etc. I take it you would suggest Coltrane
wink.gif
Tell me a good place to start, and I will check him out.
Thanks,
Stu

Nov 3, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #14 of 18
johnnylexus,

My wife recommends Arvo Part. She plays the oboe and english horn. I borrowed a disc of his music called Fratres (Telarc label) I gave it quite a few listens. I like the entire disc. She states that his music is dissonant, but not intrusive. Very soothing while you are reading, but it won't put you to sleep.

Regards - reynman

Nov 3, 2001 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 18
stuartr: all right.....we'll form a partnership, then
smily_headphones1.gif

Coltrane's musical career is quite interesting....he went from one of the most "straight-up," Lester Young-type saxophonists who was technically superb.....but not very open creatively.

(no offense to fans of Lester.......Trane just blows his solos away, tho, IMO).

Anyway......

A good starting place is "Blue Train." A solid album on par, IMO, with Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis (another classic album).

To venture more into the REAL Trane sound....which is more free, avant-gardish than traditional swing or chordal jazz, try "A Love Supreme" (my all time-favorite album).

Perhaps the most dissonant piece he ever was involved with would be "Ascension" - as close to a big band recording as he ever got.

Also try "Giant Steps," "My Favorite Things," and "Crescent" for some brilliant solos.....

Also check out Miles Davis. And Sonny Rollins. And Charlie Parker. And Dexter Gordon......there's quite a few more....just ask.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back