Good luck with Ivan, wmcmanus
Sep 13, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 53
Wayne, my thoughts and prayers are with the people in your house, your tenants, and with you. I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

Like you said, the "stuff" can be replaced.

Sep 13, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #18 of 53
I don't think we've ever corresponded but I was thinking of you when I saw the news on Ivan since you're the only person I "know" (of) from Cayman.
Hope all works out in the end. Sounds like, at the very least, you've got some cleanup to do.
CPW

Sep 13, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #19 of 53
Dear Wayne - Holly and I are sad that your friends and you have been struck by this terrible storm. We hope that all are safe, and that the damage is less severe than you fear it to be.

Sep 13, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #20 of 53
Well it's good to hear that at least you're safe, Wayne, after seeing some of the footage of what Ivan did to Jamaica, I was pretty worried when I say your area was next in line under the sickle. Hopefully things will survive alright, even though the outlook is less than rosy at this point. I guess the only thing that would be much worse is being on a small to mid sized boat stuck out in that beast.

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #21 of 53
Wayne, I am glad to hear that you and your friends are safe. I am also glad to hear that you are insured against damage. Material things can be replaced, though I am sure it will be a difficult process for all on the island to cope with damage and loss of personal items. I wish you the best and what an appropriate choice of tunes!

Sep 13, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 53
I hope that all your friends and family are safe, and that the damage is not too bad. Good luck to you!
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #24 of 53
ah you are insured, that's great - as you said items are replaceable but people aren't. i hope the friends living in your house are ok! i'm also sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother - perhaps in some way she was looking out for you by having you be close to home before the storm hit. regardless, my thoughts go out to you!

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #27 of 53
Wayne, my offer to repair or clean that which needs it still stands. I wish you luck and good fortune getting everything back together again.

Sep 14, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #28 of 53
Hi fellow head-fi'ers.

I've received a ton of emails and PM's from my headphone pals, and this means a lot to me. Just to keep things light (although this is hard to do at the moment), I thought I'd let you all know that after 2 years of "aggresive experimentation" with headphones, I've finally settled in a the "perfect" system: UE-10 Pro, Emmeline XP-7, Sony D-EJ2000. It would seem that this system will probably be the only one that I'll have left when I'm able to return to my home. I'm not complaining, because it's a pretty good system!

I've not had any direct contact with anyone in Cayman since yesterday at about 12:30pm, but the news reports are now detailed enough that I know almost for sure, based on location, that my apartments will be a total loss. (No roofs remaining in that location, and 4 feet of standing water or more). Luckily, the apartments are adequately insured, or at least I think so. There has been an ongoing debate with my insurance agent about whether I paid the 2003 premium last August. His records don't show a payment, but mine do. It may be that I wrote a check that was never cashed. I've paid this year's premuim, so I "should" be up-to-date since a renewal policy was issued, but my copy of the policy is probably now lost in flood water in my house. If it turns out that I'm wrong, this will be a big, big loss.

My house may have fared better, but I strongly suspect that flood waters would have entered, and thus wiped out a lot of valuable audio equipment, original artwork, and my university degrees (6 of them) and professional certifications (4 of them) that were hanging on my office wall. As you can imagine, having spent half a lifetime working to attain these credentials, they are more valuable to me than anything. I suppose they can be "replaced" in some manner, but it's probably time that I put them away anyhow. No matter what you may have accomplished in your life, it is important to remain humble and to know that you are only invited to play this game for so long. To the extent that this experience will help me to remove a few layers of pride and to learn to be more others-oriented, I will be grateful. Although my house itself was reasonably well-insured, the contents were woefully underinsured. If you check my profile, you'll see that this will repesent a major loss for me, but they are things that I can do without.

Here are a couple of the links that I have been following for anyone who is interested.

www.caymannetnews.com

www.stormcarib.com/reports/2004/cayman.shtml

If this storm has wiped me out financially, I will bounce back. I pray that when I return, I will find all of my friends alive and well. For those of you who are in the path of Ivan, please do protect and safegaurd your valuables and important documents.

Wayne

Sep 14, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #29 of 53
As you yourself said - anything material can be replaced. I offer my services and will do whatever I can do to help. I am sure that many HeadFiers will also volunteer should the need arise.

Not only to help you - to help the people of Cayman Islands.

Can someone point me to Relief Operations that are recruiting volunteers? I want to do something with my life for a change.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back