Good luck with Ivan, wmcmanus
Sep 14, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #31 of 53
Wayne, even if I can't do much from here in France to help, be sure I am thinking at you. I really hope your losses are much smaller than you seem to believe. Objects can be replaced, what counts is you to remain strong. I wish you all the best.

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
As you can imagine, having spent half a lifetime working to attain these credentials, they are more valuable to me than anything. I suppose they can be "replaced" in some manner.....
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I could send you mine, if I can find the box where I put them...
biggrin.gif

I hope that everything will be OK soon.

Amicalement

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #33 of 53
Wayne,
The most important thing is you are alive & well, Money wise you may have taken a big hit,but your young & healthy enough to recoup.Keep your chin up buddy.

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #34 of 53
Thanks to everyone for their comments and concerns. Another day has passed and precious little news has come my way. Nothing direct concerning my close freinds or property, although I have heard that some acquaintences have survived but are running low on food and water. I'm expecting to head back to Cayman in the near future as the airport reopens, but do not intend to stay for more than a week initially. (If you don't hear from me for an extended period of time, this is where I'll be. Power is not expected to be resumed for about a month in some parts of the Island.)

There are a lot of basic supplies that will be needed. Please see below for info on how to help Cayman. Please forward to anyone who may be able to help. This is legit, check out www.caymanislands.ky, the official Cayman Islands government website, to confirm the accuracy of this e-mail.

Thank You,
Wayne W. McManus
w_mcmanus@hotmail.com

{Quote}

Cayman Islands Update as of 12 Noon EST, Tuesday 9/14

Relief Effort - Supplies needed:
Generators - all sizes
Chain saws
Refuse/garbage bags
Heavy rakes
Water pumps to help get water out of the houses
Adult Cots
Baby basinets/smaller cots
Bedding/Linens
Pillows
Food
Water
Basic Medical Supplies
Basic Cleaning Supplies
If you know people of wanting to contribute supplies or to make donations, they can arrange for deliveries to be made to:

Cayman Airways Cargo Ltd., Miami, FL
6025 NW 18th Street
Building 716 East Suite 2E
Miami International Airport, FL. 33152
(305) 526-3190

Cox Lumber Company, Tampa, FL
Cox Lumber
5135 Madison Ave
Tampa FL 33619
(813) 248-6731

Tortuga Rum Company Ltd., Miami, FL

To expedite the relief efforts for the Cayman Islands, they have set up their Miami warehouse as a staging area. They are working with relief agencies and air freight companies to begin sending supplies as soon as conditions permit returning to the island. Food donations and necessities can be dropped off at the Tortuga warehouse located at 14202 Southwest 142nd Ave, Miami, FL 33186. Phone number is 305-378-6668, contact Monique Hamaty-Simmonds or Marcus Simmonds.

Cash Donations

The funds will be used to buy necessary relief/medical supplies, rebuilding materials and other items needed by the families left without homes.

Account Name: Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund
Account #: 621506296065

Make checks payable to: Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund

Wire funds to: Cayman Islands Hurricane Relief Fund
Account #: 621506296065
JP Morgan Chase Bank
60 East 42nd Street
NY, NY 10165
ABA/Routing #: 021000021

For wire transfer outside the USA please include the following swift code: CHASUS33

{End Quote}

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #36 of 53
Immediately after posting the above message, I found a wonderful PM waiting for me from a fellow head-fi member. I'll quote it without crediting the author because I'm sure that it is something felt by many of my headphone pals. It reflects how I'm sure I would feel if I were on the outside looking in. This heartfelt PM brought the first set of tears to my eyes since Hurricane Ivan hit my beloved home:

"not that we have ever formally met (but hey, it's headfi so we're all family in a wierd internet way) but in my own manner it is this that i have to give to you:

and please, bear with me in my tangent:

the connections on headfi are interesting and not without their philisophical weight. i have learned (sadly or wonderfully depending on perspective) to bridge many gaps by witnessing the wild structure that is headfi. i am a believer.

here is the start of this belief:

Wayne, i barely know you, not even, and though we share a particular similair hobby, this does not constitute a friendship. and here, the strength of a community has really shined for me in that, though we are not friends, i am closer to your struggle than you shall ever know.

in an instant of reading of "Ivan" and your situation, i thought firstly (absurdly!) of your headphone gear! But more importantly, the love of that gear that you and i share, more importantly than that, the understanding of its trivial nature!

and this is what i'm getting at

something as inconsequential as audio gear brings me to a virtual place, which connects me to a man (i am yet 20) who lives in a place i can only dream of, and in his time of doubt, feel compassion and empathy deeply and truly. moreso than i thought possible!

this connectedness is something i can take with me anywhere, anyplace, to any peoples.

so thank you for this mutual gift."

Thank you too. As strange as it may seem, head-fi, and all of the people I've met through my head-fi experiences, have become a very important part of my life.

Wayne

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #37 of 53
Guru, I've not seen anything yet concerning volunteers, but I do know that the American Red Cross will be sending (or already has sent) a team of people to Cayman. I'd highly suggest that if you wish to participate in the relief efforts, that you contact them. If you would like to go down with me later this week or early next week, maybe we can arrange that, but I'm not sure when the airport will reopen, and I suspect that Miami flights will resume several days prior to Tampa flights. We can deal with this via PM, but I'm only checking in during the evenings.

The British Royal Navy has two large relief ships anchored in the surrounding waters near the George Town harbour, but as far as I know, they have not yet been able to reach shore due to the choppy seas. The US Coast Gaurd has also recently sent out at least one ship, which myself and over 2,000 other American expatriates in Cayman will be eternally grateful for. At this point, many lives are still at stake, particularly due to food, water, and sanitation issues.

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #38 of 53
I've received word today that the people who were staying at my house survived the storm, and the house itself stood up pretty well. The major damage was to the roof and the garage windows which combined to cause a lot of water damage, but most of the contents (including all of the headphone gear) managed to escape damage! My apartments were flooded out badly but are also still standing. All of this news came as a great relief, and I'm now planning my return trip for early next week.

Many thanks to Jude and to all of my head-fi pals for their words of encouragement and support. Although I've been fortunate, many others on Grand Cayman have suffered catastophic losses, and it may take months to restore power in some districts. Food, water, and gas shortages are major problems, as is wide spread looting. Marshall law is in effect with a 6pm to 6am curfew. Anyone seen on the streets after 7pm is locked up. People are now being encouraged to relieve themselves in plastic bags and leave these in garbage bins to avoid further incidents of raw sewage overflowing into the streets.

At this point, only Caymanians are allowed back on the Island, but other residents including myself will be allowed to return next week. Although I dread going back, I must do so to bring generators, food and other supplies. I'm still hoping that there will be no deaths, or as few as possible, but only time will tell.

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #39 of 53
Well at least things didn't turn out to be as bad as they could have, and it seems your losses will be much smaller, not that this won't be a major PITA for the whole community to get over. Too bad we just couldn't cancel some of these hideous campaign commercials (on both sides
biggrin.gif
) and use the money for a more worth cause, restoring order for everyone there.

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #40 of 53
It's great to hear that everything survived (relatively) intact!

My offer to repair anything that needs it still stands, and in the event you need a camera to document the damage, I have an old Olympus digital that I wouldn't mind lending you. (take photos, send me the camera, and I'll send you the image files -- I expect that you won't be able to get film developed on the Caymans for quite some time.)

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I've received word today that the people who were staying at my house survived the storm, and the house itself stood up pretty well.

Looks like you wont need my credentials after all...
biggrin.gif

I'm very happy for you and I hope that your friends back there are OK too.

Amicalement

Sep 17, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #42 of 53
I'm glad everyone and everything is safe and sound back home - i can imagine you flying down there like the Head-fi red cross and helping get things straight. Here's hoping everything turns out ok there, and let us know how things go.

Sep 17, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #43 of 53
Wayne,

First, I'd like to appologize for not commenting earlier. When you initially mentioned that you were out of harms way I wasn't as concerned thus hadn't checked this tread again till now.

I'm very sorry to hear about all of your losses and hope things go well with your insurance company. Take care!

Best wishes,

Aaron

Sep 17, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #44 of 53
Glad to heart all is not lost.
Good luck w/ cleanup and remember that a post-hurricane disaster area is filled w/ perils, biological, phsical, electrical, etc. Take care of yourself and keep your wits about you.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back