Good-Looking Over-Ear Portable Headphones ($150 - $250) on Amazon (SL300's vs P5)
Feb 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ACR69

New Head-Fier
Right now I'm looking for headphones that will stand out (Hate all you want) and are good taking on the go so nothing too bulky. 99% of the music I listen to is Hip - Hop. So far I'm looking at the Souls by Ludacris SL300's and B&W P5's. I don't want the ATH - M50S because there is no detachable cord which really bothers me. I don't like the Denon Urban Ravers line for the fact that you need an amp and only last 6 hours as of people that own them have said for the AH - D400 and the AH - 320's are on-ear and look kinda wierd. The Phiatons are on-ear. The AKG's have a 10 foot long cord. My cousin already has the V-Modas.  And yes I am really picky. Nothing open back and have a 10 foot long cord. I like the SL300's because on Amazon they're only $150.00, unlike the P5's which are around the $250 mark and are pretty much on ear headphones. I like the airiness of over ear headphones because they are usually most comfortable and have that top tier feeling. But I like the classy looks the P5's have and real materials. Any other recommendations that don't have all the problems listed above. If not what do you think are the better headphones the P5 or the SL300's. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 15
Sennheiser Momentums or the UE6000/9000.

Personally think the Audio-Technica ESW9/ES10 or the Sennheiser Amperiors would be superior but unfortunately they don't have detachable cables.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 15
The P5 is also on-ear.

UE6000 sounds pretty good, but has QC issues, i.e channel imbalance, overly rigid cable plugs, etc. so it's quite hit or miss.

You don't need an amp for the D400, it already comes with one intergrated, whose purpose is to boost the bass response.

You can also look at the Senn Momentum, Sony MDR-1R or Monster Diamond Tears.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Aren't the amperiors on-ear?

Quote:
The P5 is also on-ear.

^ This.

I don't understand why you give special treatment to the P5's since they are also on-ear. Even though they use some very nice materials they are definitely not as comfy as over-ears. Also, the Amperiors have upgraded microvelour pads that make them more comfortable than any other on-ears I've used to date (DT1350, ESW9, ES10, K172HD to name a few).

What about the V-Moda M100? I've heard very good things about them. And if you're willing to splurge $250 on a pair of P5's then they should definitely be within your budget. Or did you not want V-Moda's because your cousin already has one and you don't want the same brand that your cousin has?
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:
Amperiors have a detatchable cable, and it has a nice sound to it, from what I tested. Plus, it's portable and rugged.

Indeed, the Amperiors are easily the best sounding portable on-ear headphones out there. But the detachable cable isn't really detachable... it has the (IMO very stupid) Philips O'Neill the Stretch cord design where a very short and thick cable sticks out from the right earcup and connects to a longer cable via m/f 3.5mm jack.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
The senn Momentums, Sony's, and Diamond tears are all near $300 if not more

That's if you're buying at full retail. You might wanna check out the deals thread here.

The MDR-1R's are currently $250 and go as low as $180.
Amperiors are currently 175 refurbished and $250 new.
I've seen both the V-Moda M100 and Momentums at $250 in the last month.
The diamond tears... well, it's Monster, prices never go down on those.

Everything in budget of the P5's if you're willing to wait a bit for a good deal. I would still say it is worth it.

Quote:
I am digging the logitech UE6000's though

Or get those, they sound fantastic. I've only demoed them at Best Buy so I don't know about the quality control issues LinkPro is talking about. But if you buy at the store you can easily return them, no?

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 15
Cheap surround sound may spring to mind when you think of Logitech, but they have a consistently great track record with headphones. The UE6000s really impressed me at their price point in passive mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back