good isolators portable headphones, for under 100
May 7, 2013 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

slytherin

Head-Fier
I have the beats solo, but I really don't like them and I am hoping to get another set of portable headphones for cheaper , I usually listen to house, classical and alternative rock and samba.What are somo good picks?

May 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 11
the ath-m50 is on sale for $100 atm on amazon. There's also the mdr-v6.

I've been seeing the Sound Magic hp 100 being recced a bit, so you might wanna look those up. The Gift Guide also has some phones too if you want to give it a shot. 

May 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
the ath-m50 is on sale for $100 atm on amazon. There's also the mdr-v6.

I've been seeing the Sound Magic hp 100 being recced a bit, so you might wanna look those up. The Gift Guide also has some phones too if you want to give it a shot. 

I have the ath m50, I was looking for something smaller, with a better isolation, if possible

May 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I have the ath m50, I was looking for something smaller, with a better isolation, if possible

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632255/portable-iem-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op
sorry linked you the wrong thread. 

I'd like to say the philips shl 9500. I'm not sure which of the 2 models I have, but it broke 2-3 years ago and is repaired (yanked out the cord for the left channel and was getting cuts, but it's fine now). Also doesn't have the cushions for the left channel, but did an a/b test w/ the mdr-v6 just now, and they're somewhat veiled compared to them (though very slightly).

As for isolation, I did a test w/ a person having a conversation on the phone and the dog barking. If you're playing it at a moderate level, you shouldn't be able to hear them. As for leakage, it leaks, but the leak is rather small for me. 

May 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632255/portable-iem-recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op
sorry linked you the wrong thread. 

I'd like to say the philips shl 9500. I'm not sure which of the 2 models I have, but it broke 2-3 years ago and is repaired (yanked out the cord for the left channel and was getting cuts, but it's fine now). Also doesn't have the cushions for the left channel, but did an a/b test w/ the mdr-v6 just now, and they're somewhat veiled compared to them (though very slightly).

As for isolation, I did a test w/ a person having a conversation on the phone and the dog barking. If you're playing it at a moderate level, you shouldn't be able to hear them. As for leakage, it leaks, but the leak is rather small for me. 

thanks I'll have a look

May 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 11
I'd suggest Klipsch Image s4s (IEMs) for isolation, rather comfy, sound sig similar to m50s, and pretty cheap sometimes.  Only problem I had when using them was chord noise, but using the chin slider I lessened it considerably.

May 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I have really small ears, do you think they could fit on the shl9500? also is it better than the beats solo?

tbh, I've never tried beats, so I can't help you there. I can try asking a classmate for a demo, but idk if he'd say yes or no.The shl's are on-ear, so I don't think it'd matter. People say I have small ears, so I guess you're fine.

May 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 11
 The Marshall Majors are what you want. Smaller, lighter, sweeter sounding, better soundstage, louder, and cheaper than ATH M50's. I have both. They're louder and have way more high end than the solos too.

May 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 11
 The Marshall Majors are what you want. Smaller, lighter, sweeter sounding, better soundstage, louder, and cheaper than ATH M50's. I have both. They're louder and have way more high end than the solos too.

I will see about those,but it will be hard and probably gonna cost me my m50s,because I am already buying the Ma900s so Iwas looking for something chaper now,50 por less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back