good isolating IEMs that would completely block mowers/weed eaters?
May 2, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
Once upon a time in a summer far far away I drove a ride on mower for a summer job. I had hearing protection, big overear headphone looking things. Even with those on my ear buds had to be cranked to hear much of anything. I wouldn't recommend you expose your ears to that for very long if at all.

Yes, put if you use those in conjuction with a pair of iems, they should drop the sound 40-45dB. I do believe that'll do it even for a mower or chainsaw or pretty much anything else. That would turn a jet engine into a safe listening level for awhile. (130/125 - 90/80)

May 2, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #17 of 24
I use e3c's with "biflanges" (triflanges cut down).

I don't do much "critical listening" while mowing the lawn, running the chainsaw, using the gas trimmer or travelling on planes or trains--so having the e3c's isn't that much of a hardship. They beat the heck out of the iBuds I started with.

-Patrick

May 2, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #18 of 24
I think it depends on how far you keep your ears away from the lawn mower or weed eater. As a general rule, the further the better for isolation and for your physical safety.

May 2, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #19 of 24
UE10
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #20 of 24
The best earpieces for isolation are completely dependant on the shape of your ears. I've tried triple flanges and foams and silicone acorn-shaped whatever they're called (clear and black ones that come with shures) and with the Shures, the foams were the only things that really worked for me. The triple flanges were awful. With my Ety ER-4Ss though, the triple flanges are made of a much softer material and are better than the foams. You just have to try everything out until you find what you like.

May 2, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #21 of 24
I'd say a somewhat bright-sounding IEM eg. Ety er-6i would likely fill the bill as most comparable to Grado.......But, for use with gas mowers etc. - the ONLY viable choice is to use foamies with your iem's. No flex, softflex, biflange, or triflange comes close to the noise attenuation of the foamies. If even they are not enough for you - simply get shooting earmuffs and put them over your ears and iems (the muffs made for shooters can be had at differing levels of attenuation - the ones sold for construction will not do as much for you)................furthermore - you should hear how good the er-6i become when paired with a Xin Supermini amp.

May 5, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #24 of 24
I wear my ER-6 headphones while motorcycling. Measured DB at highway speeds on my bike is about 105 db with peaks near 115. I can hear wind noise through the ER-6 with no music. BUT, when I turn the music on, I can only feel the bike, not hear it. I DO NOT have to turn them up at all. I listen at 65-70 db output from my Zen Touch. That's about setting 10. I use the bi-flanges because motorcycling can be pretty dirty and I really don't want to use oily/gassy fingers to roll foamies and push them into my ears. It also took me about 2 weeks of hour long listening sessions to break my ears into the 'comfort' level of bi-flanges.
rolleyes.gif

Sometimes I wear these at work, when I drop my ear muffs over the top of them I can't even hear plant noises without any music. They've also been very durable, I'd have thought that cable would have given up the ghost by now.

Make sure you route any headphone cable you might have inside your shirt. Nothing sucks worse than and IEM cable getting tugged on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back