Good iPod HeadPhones without AMP (SHR840 maybe)
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ubscene

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, sorry for my first post being a help thread.

I need a good pair of headphones for my iPod, i'm looking for something that sounds good unamped.
My requirements would be comfort>isolation>sound.
I would like to hear only my music, not the one someone else is playing on the car or on the television near me.
I'm listening mainly to Rock, Metal and a few Pop songs.
If possible an all-around headphone like good for either being alone at home, on a loudy plane or for walking somewhere outside.

After lurking a bit, I'm really looking forward to buy SHR840, my only 2 concerns are: are they isolated enough and are they good without an amp?
Probably in the future I'm gonna buy a Desktop amp, so consider that too please.
Budget: 200$-400$

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
My requirements would be comfort>isolation>sound.
[...] If possible an all-around headphone like good for either being alone at home, on a loudy plane or for walking somewhere outside.
[...]
After lurking a bit, I'm really looking forward to buy SHR840, my only 2 concerns are: are they isolated enough and are they good without an amp?

The best would be to get an IEM, better portability , and isolation.

You can get an idea about isolation by looking at these graph:

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 12
For full size headphones use unamped the 840 is one of the best option available, though with its slightly darker presentation you might want to checkout the SRH440 as well.  Other honorable mentions include:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Denon AH-D1100

Ultrasone HFi-580, HFi-780

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 12
I love the SRH840s. They are great cans and isolate quite well imo. They are also incredibly easy to drive making ipod use convenient. But they are pretty big.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I'm skeptical that they would isolate enough for a "loud plane" , or for listening something else while music is played on the car.

Your not going to find anything much better unless you get iems or noise cancelling headphones. I haven't used them on a plane but they isolate quite well. Maybe a 50% reduction.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 12
I've had a couple chances to demo the 840, and it does have good isolation--not mind-blowing, but it definitely does the job.  They also sound decent for the price.  I haven't heard the 440, but I'd imagine that would also be nice (I prefer a slightly brighter signature
beyersmile.png
)

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 12
Aug 24, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 12
I liked my HD25 out of my ipod more than the M50+ipod+mini3 combo.

now when I want to go light, the TF10 are super fun out of the ipod, zune, clip+ or whatever I plug them into, but you're not asking for IEMs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back