Good IEM with balanced sound? Any suggestions?
Jun 18, 2010 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

yliu

500+ Head-Fier
I am searching for an IEM with balanced, uncolored sound. My top choice would the the UE Triple.fi 10 (actually the M-Audio IE-40, but they are the same as the Triple.fi, only difference is the shell).
So, as you read before, I am can only get the M-Audio IE-40 because there is no Ultimate Ears in my country:frowning2:
Is the Triple.fi good for my taste? I need a balanced sound, something like the Etymotic ER-4P but with more bass. and the earphone WILL NOT BE AMPED, so I need something that sound good without amplifier. I listen to rock, pop, metal. But again, I want uncolored sound, I can be a slightly warm sounding, but mostly uncolored, and I want MORE BASS THAN THE ETYMOTIC. The Ety would be perfect if it would have more bass. I also have the Sennheiser IE8, and I love it, but sometimes I just don't want that midbass hump, and I want more forward mids.
any suggetions?
My budget is 500USD, and don't tell me that I can find $900 earphones for discount, because there is NO DISCOUNT in my country, EVERYTHING IS MSRP.

#1  I want UNCOLORED, ACCURATE, and it can also have a slightly more bass (but not too important) 
#2  I want something with good quality ( I will be using it around 2 hours a day, but I will travel a lot on airplanes, trains etc.
#3  Value has to be good, because I am not rich and a Triple.fi can really lighten my wallet.
#4  There is my Westone, Yuin, Earsonics, JH Audio, etc.

Oh, and I listen to lossless, or uncompressed music, sometimes MP3 320kbps

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 14
Have you looked at the Fischer DBA-02 reviews? They sound like they'd meet your preferences and budget very well, if you can wait until the next production lot is done (we hear July).

In what country are you located?

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Have you looked at the Fischer DBA-02 reviews? They sound like they'd meet your preferences and budget very well, if you can wait until the next production lot is done (we hear July).

In what country are you located?

I live in Hungary, in Europe, and there is nothing here! especially custom molded earphones

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 14
EarSonics SM3 or HiFiman RE252. I highly don't recommend IE7. The fit is terrible and isolation sucks.

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I am searching for an IEM with balanced, uncolored sound. My top choice would the the UE Triple.fi 10 (actually the M-Audio IE-40, but they are the same as the Triple.fi, only difference is the shell).
So, as you read before, I am can only get the M-Audio IE-40 because there is no Ultimate Ears in my country:frowning2:
Is the Triple.fi good for my taste? I need a balanced sound, something like the Etymotic ER-4P but with more bass. and the earphone WILL NOT BE AMPED, so I need something that sound good without amplifier. I listen to rock, pop, metal. But again, I want uncolored sound, I can be a slightly warm sounding, but mostly uncolored, and I want MORE BASS THAN THE ETYMOTIC. The Ety would be perfect if it would have more bass. I also have the Sennheiser IE8, and I love it, but sometimes I just don't want that midbass hump, and I want more forward mids.
any suggetions?
My budget is 500USD, and don't tell me that I can find $900 earphones for discount, because there is NO DISCOUNT in my country, EVERYTHING IS MSRP.

#1  I want UNCOLORED, ACCURATE, and it can also have a slightly more bass (but not too important) 
#2  I want something with good quality ( I will be using it around 2 hours a day, but I will travel a lot on airplanes, trains etc.
#3  Value has to be good, because I am not rich and a Triple.fi can really lighten my wallet.
#4  There is my Westone, Yuin, Earsonics, JH Audio, etc.

Oh, and I listen to lossless, or uncompressed music, sometimes MP3 320kbps

Ety ER4P with more bass but uncolored and balanced?  Hmmm, not sure about that reference.  I would go for the Radius DDM's.  Relatively balanced, solid bass, solid mids, warm but not veiled w/ lots of separation, clarity and air.  Best bang per buck dynamic driver out there.  The fit and isolation can be an issue though for some.  I am using some Monster black gel tips and its not too shabby at all as long as I don't go running.

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 14
I wouldn't exactly call the TF10 balanced at all unless you consider strong bass, recessed mids and decent highs balanced to go along with the worst ergonomics I've ever experienced in a phone.

How much more bass than an Etymotic do you want?

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call the TF10 balanced at all unless you consider strong bass, recessed mids and decent highs balanced to go along with the worst ergonomics I've ever experienced in a phone.

How much more bass than an Etymotic do you want?

Correction: Triple.fi has excellent highs. I do agree with you regarding its bass (upper) and treble though.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 14
I own the IE7, MTPG, and W3s and recently owned the IE8s. The IE7 is a great, balanced IEM. MTPG is similar with more forward mids but less refined treble. The W3s pack more of a puch to the low and high end, and maintain smooth mids. The IE8s have a subwooferish bass with smooth(but recessed) highs and forward mids.

So if you want overall balance and neutrality, out of this list, I'd go with the IE7s. Personally I like the Westone 3s best for its detail and clarity, but sometimes I switch to the IE7s for a smooth presentation. Plus, you will feel no fatigue listening to the IE7s, everything is very relaxed and laid back. I love them because they were my first high end pair of IEMs and still find myself using them a lot. And the isolation and fit is not as bad as everyone says it is. You just need to find the right tips. I found nice foam tips from ebay and they work great.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 14
I can't really explain it, but something similar to my home theater setup (Bowers&Wilkins 683, with Audyssey MultEQ or something.)
or something that has a flat frequency response, but with a little (around 5dB) bass hump to it would be good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back