Good IEM for rock
Sep 18, 2007 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Madmax141

New Head-Fier
Hi!

like in my title, i have been looking for a good pair of IEM's, primarily for rock (metal, thrash, ect...) and i have a 150$ budget (under 100 would be awsome, but between 100 and 150 would be good too). i have been doing alot of reaserch and it is very hard to find out what IEM is good for what type of music, so i figured you guys could help me.

i have been looking at JAYS IEM's, i love the look of all of them and i know that JAYS specializes in earphones so i know im getting good quality, but i've heard that their earphones arent so good with my type of music...

also lookin at stuff from shure, UE, or ety, but as i said before, its realy hard to find out which IEM's are good for my type of music.

do you guys have any other sugestions? who listens to my type of music, what type of IEM's do you have? ill be using the earphones on an unamped ipod, btw.

first post!

Thanks for you help in advance!
~Max

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 21
If your main concern is rock then I would really recommend you spring for the UM2s. Getting a "low-end" iem will only lead to upgrading in the future. Trust me. UM2s on the F/S thread go for ~200$ shipped. Save 50$ and save yourself alot of wondering about what if... The q-JAYS are better IEMs if your interests diverge away from rock, OR if you like their form factor better, or don't like the warmth and bassyness of the UM2s. The Atrios aren't also a bad option if your budget is 100% tight. But I'd really recommend you save some greenbacks and hold out for a mid-range IEM. You won't regret it.

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 21
Your search is like a search for the ultimate treasure. I'd love to find a way to cram some Grados inside my ears.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 21
with the post regarding the um2's, i think that they may be a little out my budget. how about the super.fi 3 studio? they fit snugly in with my budget, 70 on amazon, and ive heard good things about them, how they can handle alot of different kinds of music.

Sep 18, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 21
frown.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 21
i find that my er6i are plenty bassy for my rock music
listen to new and old stuff
queen, pink floyd, jimi hendrix, green day, muse, elo, bloc party

the clarity and detail you get from the er6i is amazing

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 21
The er6i are not bassy at all. They have enough bass if you want neutral sound...but at no point when using them will you say, "wow, these have plenty of bass"

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Atrio M5 thread.

Seconded.

I listen to a lot of rock and the Atrio M5's have been the best audio purchase I've made in a long time. I didn't want to spend so much but I don't think I can ever go back to using regular store bought buds under $50.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisco82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The er6i are not bassy at all. They have enough bass if you want neutral sound...but at no point when using them will you say, "wow, these have plenty of bass"

x2

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 21
Amazons have the super.fis pro for about $150 shipped. I just got mine of another member of these forums with the westone cables and I must say they certainly sound better (at least in my opinion) than my Shure E4gs. There are good highs, mids as well as a strong bass presence. The shures have a clearer sound but lacks a certain oomph at the low end.

The only thing I've got to get used to is the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back