Good idea to put a monitor on an aluminum cd player?
Oct 12, 2009 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rainbow Randy

Formerly known as Chicomm4
Space is tight on my desk, so I'm thinking about getting a Marantz cc4001 or cd5003 and putting them under my 21" monitor. It weighs about 15 lbs. Good idea/bad idea?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 8
How about putting the CD player under the desk?

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 8
There are a couple of potential issues. One, you want the CD player to be able to vent heat. Covering it might lead to heat buildup inside the case which isn't good for any component.

Second, the monitor's power supply might throw off RFI noise that could get picked up by the CD player and fed into the sound.

If space is tight, I'd look for a wallmount bracket for your monitor. There are inexpensive ones and installation isn't too bad. You can also get a flexible arm or stand with a monitor mount that will hold it above the desk. Both of these will cost more and require some labor, however, they'll give you some flexibility with your space. I suppose you could put up a wall shelf for your CD player, too.

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 8
You can always buy a sheet of ERS paper and use something like Sound Quest Isolation Feet available at TTVJ off to separate the monitor from the cd-player so it can breathe and stay cool.

Iso-Feet.JPG

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Might not be the best idea considering heat coming from your CDP. As far as R/F I wouldn't worry too much about that.

FWIW some dampening freaks (Patrick82 is one of them
wink.gif
) say it is actually good to have some weight pushing down on your audio gear. It supposedly kills vibrations.
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can always buy a sheet of ERS paper and use something like Sound Quest Isolation Feet available at TTVJ off to separate the monitor from the cd-player so it can breathe and stay cool.

Iso-Feet.JPG

Oh oh, you said ERS paper!
Patrick, where are you?

Oct 12, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 8
The CD5003 doesn't have vents in the top so you wouldn't be causing any heat buildup in the cd player. I had my Woo 2 (17lbs) and a Dacmagic sitting on top of my CD5001. It was never a problem. However, as previously mentioned RFI noise may be an issue, but I doubt it. Give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back