Good heavens - check out this packaging!
Apr 11, 2008 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
Early this week I ordered two spare vacuum tubes for my Project Tubebox II. Not that I actually needed to replace the exisiting tubes (it's only a month old), but of course you never know when one might die and I don't want to be caught short if and when that happens.

Since I am 100% satisifed with the sound coming out of this phono stage (I love it) I wanted the exact same type of tube it originally came with. Unfortunately these tubes are simply branded as "Project", and other than knowing they are a 12AX7, there is nothing really to say exactly who makes them, etc.

I contacted the Australian distributer and asked if they could verify with Project that the "Project" branded tubes they stock are the exact ones that Project use in the Tubeboxes they are currently making. The service guy emailed Project that morning and by close of business he rang me to confirm they were indeed the exact ones they use.

So this parcel arrives on my doorstep this morning. I did not even think it was the tubes, because it was bigger than a housebrick and weighed just as much. When I saw that this parcel had actually come from the parts department, I thought they had made a monumental picking error and had accidentally sent me a couple of phono stages instead of just the tubes.

I set about opening the package and a couple of hours later I had finally undone the wrapping
wink.gif
to reveal two very substantial and heavy white cardboard boxes.

boxxa4.jpg

To give you an idea of the size, you could probably fit a dozen 12AX7 tubes in this white box.

After opening the white, box my jaw dropped as I slid this out:

woodboxsc5.jpg

And that clear slider on top of the box is glass - not plastic! So do Project source their tubes from Grado? (just kidding).

On top of the wooden box was also what appears to be a printed noise floor test datasheet specific to this particular tube
eek.gif

datalq9.jpg

I have to say I am greatly impressed, though my amazement is somewhat tempered by the fact that I could buy a 12AX7 for around half the price of these (then again some 12AX7s are also pretty expensive)...but then again Project have been cunning in branding the tubes with their name with no way for a tube-layman like me to know the precise origin.

Anyway, I have not removed the tubes from their velvet coffins and truth be known they look so cute in there it will be a sad day when I do finally have to use them. I summary this has to be the most stunning packaging for any audio related component I have ever bought. I can't believe a single, humble tube deserves packaging royalty like this, but clearly Project does! Very impressive!

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 25
Actually it wasn't as horrible as I thought after deducting the courier charge. They were $40.90 Australian each. That includes a 10% goods and services tax that we have to pay over here. I have a couple of Sovtek 12AX7 LPS tubes for example, that were admittedly half the price of that ,but I did not like the sound of them as much. So I guess when you think about how much some tubes cost, the price is always OK if you like the sound.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 25
Yeh...and half squashed boxes...but there was enough bubble wrap in this package to wrap up my Mazda 2
wink.gif
Perhaps in the part of Europe where these came from they don't trade in normal currencies or even gold. They instead trade in Project 12AX7s
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 25
HA! That's fabulous. My Pro-Ject platter puck came in a gorgeous wooden case. No glass lid though.

Apr 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mind sharing what these cost? I might have to buy a pair just for the boxes!

lol yeah same here! beautiful packaging!

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 25
nice to look at but perhaps not the most environmentally friendly? Eh nuff being a buzzkill. If you dont mind me asking how does the tubebox compare to other phono stages youve tried? They look killer but im currently loving my grado

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCrank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice to look at but perhaps not the most environmentally friendly?

well biodegradable at least unlike bubblewrap and polystyrene....
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackCrank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you dont mind me asking how does the tubebox compare to other phono stages youve tried? They look killer but im currently loving my grado

Unfortunately I am probably the last person you would want to solicit an opinion form as regards phono stages. Apart from the ones I had in integrated amps years ago and the inbuilt one in my previous Debut III, I haven't anything else to go by.

I bought this phono stage on account of many glowing (pardon the pun) recommendations of other owners who all thought it was a basically a killer for the money.

What I can say though is that I am really surprised at how quiet this setup is. You would have to be listening at literally deafening levels to hear the noise floor in this setup, which is something I did not anticipate given the relatively high noise levels coming out of my old Debut III.

The other (good thing) about it is that it is not too stereotypically tubey sounding. By that I mean it has very good solid state clarity and focus about, but the tubes just add a smidgeon of warmth,colour and character that is subtle, but still always noticed. To put that into more concrete terms, my Musical Fidelity Xcan 3 is more obviously tube sounding (still in a good way though) than this phono stage.

That said, you can clearly hear the differences when you tube roll. The word going around was that the Sovtek 12AX7 LPS tubes were the ants pants for this unit, but quite honestly I felt the Project tubes that came with it were more smoother and more pleasant sounding without sacrificing any detail or anything.

It's also got the switchable subsonic filter on the back panel as well, but in my own testing I prefer the result with it turned off.

The unit is extremely well built. It is quite heavy for the size and the quality is such that you feel you could drop it from 20 stories up and it would still be fine when you dig it back out from 3 feet under the road surface.

The other thing I like is that the tubes are quite accessable for swapping over, though the aesthetically-appealing covers are a bit of a handful to take off and replace without pieces falling everywhere (each cover is made of 9 pieces excluding the two screws!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back