Good Headphones for rock.. EXCEPT Grado :D
Oct 7, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218
How much do the DT880's leak? I know they are considered "semi-open", but how isolating are they?

They isolate externall sounds very well, but leak plenty, like regular open.

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #17 of 43
I listen to my senn 595's with rock more than my modded Grado sr-80's. The 595 is just as dynamic, has more bass slam, is definitely more refined and adds a bigger, airier soundstage.
cool.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #18 of 43
For rock...I listen to AT A900LTD. It's got some kicking bass
basshead.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I listen to my senn 595's with rock more than my modded Grado sr-80's. The 595 is just as dynamic, has more bass slam, is definitely more refined and adds a bigger, airier soundstage.
cool.gif

sub $100 vs. $200 isn't fair though
rolleyes.gif
But I perfectly accept and understand where you're coming from.

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 43
I have to add another vote for the Hd595s...

They are really good cans for long rock listenings or slower rock, as I find their bass to lose a bit of its slam on fast bass passages. But their awesome midrange and refined bass makes it a sweeeeeeeeet rock headphone for long sessions (no treble harshness, treble are present but not in your face).

When I added my Headfive, the 595s could now follow the fast basslines with better punch, also put it a bit stronger and thighter.

Not typical rockers, but great ones indeed!

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
In no particular order:

STAX Lambda Pros
AKG K81 DJ
KSC-75s
AKG K1000

Another thumbs up for KSC75 and AKG K81 DJ. No comments about the rest. Havent heard of the others before.

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
What qualities exactly make Grados best "rock" phones?
confused.gif

And what kind of rock we are talking about, metal, industrial, progressive, punk?
Metallica, Tool, Pink Floyd, Rammstein, even Rob Zombie, all sound just amazing with 2005 DT880.
PF through them sounds just .... exquisite.

I was talking about rocks in general...although I don't listen to Extreme rocks..
biggrin.gif

Oh and about grado's...I think their punchiness in bass + reactive response( like, drum sound, etc) has a big factor...Had a RS-2 for few days, and that's what I've felt....but I can't really comment about the mids and highs, since I didn't have mine in my hands for a long time
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #26 of 43
Why not Grados? Plus you already have some very good headphones. DT990 05 should be the rock headphone along with Grados AFAIK, but without Grados limitations.

Quote:

What qualities exactly make Grados best "rock" phones?
And what kind of rock we are talking about, metal, industrial, progressive, punk?

Mainly more harsher rocks. Thats where Grados really shine. Their tight kicking bass, very vibrant and clear mids, intimate sound. Even most chaotic deathmetal imaginable sounds crystal clear with these. Their PRaT gives really headbanging and feet tapping feeling. HD595 was so pathetic next to Grados when i listened them both side by side... I dont know about slower rock and older rock&roll though, most likely there are better headphones for that.

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #27 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Why not Grados? Plus you already have some very good headphones. DT990 05 should be the rock headphone along with Grados AFAIK, but without Grados limitations.

No no no
biggrin.gif
Of course i know that all the general Grado's are Rock headphones, but I just wanted to know what other options exist
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
No no no
biggrin.gif
Of course i know that all the general Grado's are Rock headphones, but I just wanted to know what other options exist
smily_headphones1.gif

OH!!! Sorry. I misunderstood your point.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back