good headphones for ochestra? please recommend
May 10, 2008 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

flame

100+ Head-Fier
Just join the forum and would like to say Hi to all of you
biggrin.gif

I am looking for a pair of headphone that is good for listening to ochestra, occasionally opera and classical. I am Piano and Violin lover.
I have about 1k to spend on the headphone.
I received a pair of Sennheiser HD595 as my birthday last week, which got me addicted to headphones. However i find it a little too bassy and not detailed enough.
I have listened to my friend's AKG k601, it sounds great, in love with the soundstage.
Now considering AKG k701, but would like to see what others have to say/recommend.
Thanks in advance!

Ooops almost forgot, i am looking to get a pair of open style for home and a pair of closed for travelling.

Sorry if i haven't used the glossary correctly, please forgive a noob
biggrin.gif
Currently in the headphone 101 class :p

May 10, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 32
welcome to head-fi! my recommendations:

open home: Stax SRS-2050 (for this, I presume you have a good cd player, dac, or other source)

closed portable: Etymotic ER4p in-ear monitors (for this, I presume you don't mind in-ear)

The Stax will crush any dynamic headphone of the same price for the music you listen to, far better detail and better soundstage. The etys are good enough with your kind of music that you won't feel sadly let down while on the go, and will isolate you from outside noise quite well.

May 10, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 32
Thanks for the recommendation
I only have a Yamaha receiver, and i have started another thread on the amp section about the difference already, hopefully i will get an idea between them.
Do you think a receiver is a good source of powering up headphones?

Also sorry for not being specific enough, i prefer a closed style headphone than in-ear ones, because i usually get grumpy after 3 to 4 hrs of music on flight with the tip stuck in my ears.

May 10, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 32
Hi Flame,

If the 595's sound got you addicted to headphones, I think you deserve listening to HD600 (more neutral, more detailed, less bassy) or HD650. Both perform very well with classical music.
Stax electrostats also work great with orchestral music, but IMHO they lack some bottom end (in their more affordable models) and dynamic contrast to make things completely right.

K701 are fine too, very wide sounding and pretty detailed, but they have some issues in the midrange and lower highs which make instruments timbres less convincing.

Denon D5000, if modded, sound really good for any kind of music, and specially well with large orchestral works. They're more upfront than Sennheisers in their presentation, but IMHO they're more resolutive and engaging. They could be a bit too bassy for your taste.

I wish you were able to listen to some of these before having to buy blindly. No matter what we advice or tell you, it's you and your ears who must decide which works best for you.

Rgrds

May 10, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 32
You may not have enough amp to adequately drive AKGs, but for classical and opera I like the AKG K501. No longer in production but they show up used often enough. Others can comment on the K601 or K701.

You'll get many recommendations for the Sennheisers, but I prefer the AKG ... especially for vocals.

May 10, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 32
You can't go wrong with any of the phones mentioned here. They all have their goods and bads. However, my vote goes to HD650 if you like almost real live sound. K701 has bigger soundstage and better seperation between instruments but they don't sound true to the instruments real tones. You might also want to look at HD600. Some people prefer HD600 over HD650 on classical stuff. It's less boomy and a tad bit brighter than HD650 just like HD595 but better in everyway. Hope that helps.

May 10, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wish you were able to listen to some of these before having to buy blindly. No matter what we advice or tell you, it's you and your ears who must decide which works best for you.

Rgrds

Ya i wish i can listen it before i do any purchase, but not too sure where to find some audio stores that carry these headphones.

And so it would be Stax vs Sennheiser HD600/HD650 vs AKG K701 for the type of music i listen to
biggrin.gif

Btw i have looked up the Denon D5000, it has closed style, how is it compare to other Dynamic open ones?

And i am actually looking into AKG K271 for the closed style, is that a good pick? I read it in somewhere in Head-fi, few people are saying the seal is good on it. Would love any comments and feedbacks on this too
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 32
If you get the chance, try to listen to the K601 too, which I use for classical, and preferred over the 701 and 650. I haven't got a chance to listen to a 600 or any stax yet, so I can't comment on them.

May 10, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 32
The K501 are more timbrally accurate, and have a much better integrated midrange and a wider soundstage than the K701, IMHO. Piano, strings and vocals, especially, show the K501's comparative strengths quite compellingly, too. With a good recable down the road (I'm thinking of the APS V3), the K501 should be all the (dynamic) headphone you need, given your stated musical preferences.

Although I have not had the chance--but would very much like--to audition STAX, they too sound like a worthwhile route to pursue, although it will necessitate changes/improvements in your associated/upstream gear.

May 10, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 32
Cannot comment on the Senns. I have AKG K601 and listen to a lot of orchestral music, and I love them. Pair very well with a Corda2Move powered with an external supply (clipped off battery!) and they sound amazing out of my integrated amp. I listened to the 701 in a store but cannot afford them. They seemed a bit better even, with even wider sound stage and clearer instrument separation, but I cannot be as confident in this recommendation given the limited exposure. Owners seem to confirm my impression though. Enjoy!

May 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by flame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya i wish i can listen it before i do any purchase, but not too sure where to find some audio stores that carry these headphones.

And so it would be Stax vs Sennheiser HD600/HD650 vs AKG K701 for the type of music i listen to
biggrin.gif

Btw i have looked up the Denon D5000, it has closed style, how is it compare to other Dynamic open ones?

And i am actually looking into AKG K271 for the closed style, is that a good pick? I read it in somewhere in Head-fi, few people are saying the seal is good on it. Would love any comments and feedbacks on this too
biggrin.gif

You have to consider that going unamped, the K701 and D5000 don't sound any good, their flaws get enhanced. The Senns are more forgiving and still preserve some balance when used unamped. Specially the HD600, to my ears and preferences, are the ones that could work pretty well for classical if you don't pretend to get loud levels.

I can't say about the K271, I haven't listened to them in my system. They could be a good option, but I won't dare to rave or bash them without the slightlest self acquaintance.

If you already own a capable amp or are including one in your budget, the D5000, specially modded, are kind of "jack of all trades" which is very interesting.
I've always thought that good audio components sound good whatever you throw at them. It's all about "sounds" and when these are properly reproduced, in the worst case you'd enjoy a "decent" performance. If they do well just with excellent recordings or a certain and restrictive music genre, then they're not neutral nor balanced.
The D5000, like the HD600, are the type of cans that work well with all music styles, their main shortcoming is that they both need a good amp to really show their full potential. Maybe the D5000 are a bit more demanding, but both take a lot of benefit of proper amplification. Of course there are some cans that do -for some people's taste- certain genres way better, but suck with other genres. A matter of personal preference and also how coloration works against you or in your favour.

Sennheisers are kind of ubiquitous, and I'm pretty sure you'd be able to listen to any of them around your place. The Denons aren't that much, but still it could be possible that you found a shop or a close living mate to give a listen. They have things in common soundwise, but are too different to think it's safe buying one or the other without a previous audition.

Let's see if someone else can offer you some comments about the K271.

Cheers.

May 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 32
As for the listening comment, you live in Toronto. Bay-Bloor Radio has a "Wall of Headphones" there. They sell the HD650s and the AKG K701s last time I was there. Just go and have a listen. If you're really nice, maybe ask them to throw on some opera/classical/orchestral music for you. That should help you out. Just don't buy any of the phones there. Way overpriced.

May 10, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to consider that going unamped, the K701 and D5000 don't sound any good, their flaws get enhanced. The Senns are more forgiving and still preserve some balance when used unamped. Specially the HD600, to my ears and preferences, are the ones that could work pretty well for classical if you don't pretend to get loud levels.

I can't say about the K271, I haven't listened to them in my system. They could be a good option, but I won't dare to rave or bash them without the slightlest self acquaintance.

If you already own a capable amp or are including one in your budget, the D5000, specially modded, are kind of "jack of all trades" which is very interesting.
I've always thought that good audio components sound good whatever you throw at them. It's all about "sounds" and when these are properly reproduced, in the worst case you'd enjoy a "decent" performance. If they do well just with excellent recordings or a certain and restrictive music genre, then they're not neutral nor balanced.
The D5000, like the HD600, are the type of cans that work well with all music styles, their main shortcoming is that they both need a good amp to really show their full potential. Maybe the D5000 are a bit more demanding, but both take a lot of benefit of proper amplification. Of course there are some cans that do -for some people's taste- certain genres way better, but suck with other genres. A matter of personal preference and also how coloration works against you or in your favour.

Sennheisers are kind of ubiquitous, and I'm pretty sure you'd be able to listen to any of them around your place. The Denons aren't that much, but still it could be possible that you found a shop or a close living mate to give a listen. They have things in common soundwise, but are too different to think it's safe buying one or the other without a previous audition.

Let's see if someone else can offer you some comments about the K271.

Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up! Ya Sennheiser is easier to come by in my area, but most of the places don't offer a demo for testing. And ya when it comes down to quality of sound, i think it is really depending on one's preference too. Guess i will try getting some testing before taking any action on the purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the listening comment, you live in Toronto. Bay-Bloor Radio has a "Wall of Headphones" there. They sell the HD650s and the AKG K701s last time I was there. Just go and have a listen. If you're really nice, maybe ask them to throw on some opera/classical/orchestral music for you. That should help you out. Just don't buy any of the phones there. Way overpriced.

AWESOME! Thank you buddy! I will go visit there sometime this week and see for myself
biggrin.gif
Can't wait!! Ya i realize most of the places are overpriced, not only headphones but electronics in general :/

I hope i get this clear, most people suggest AKG K501 > K701 on orchestra and classical. How about k271 as travelling headphones? Any input will be welcome.

Thanks!

May 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 32
No problem. As much as these guys are overpriced, they're very nice. My Dad (and myself) have bought several pieces of audio equipment from them, and the staff was always awesome.

I would not use the K271 for travel. They need good amplification to give off acceptable sound. Same goes for most of your other options. Plus, they can be bulky, and a lot of people don't seem to like that. Though if you do get a good portable amp, you could use them for travel. I'll keep an eye out for them when I move back home (I'm from Toronto)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back