Good headphones for my user bifrost/Valhalla combo?
Apr 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

snooze107

New Head-Fier
Just looking for recommendations. Currently my go to for music is my sennheiser ie80s, but I feel I would be better off getting full headphones for home use. I listen to jazz, classic/alternative rock, and light electronic music. Oh yeah, I also play cs. Have had my eyes on the hd650s.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 12
I apologize, I read the title backwards. the head phones you are looking to amp, are they ear? If so does too much head room going to fry the voice coil. I factor in power. going over by 30% more. I looked at same amp but went Asgard 2. I am using 3 different heads: Grado ps 500, senn 650, and AKG K701. I love it. My amp came last into pic. knew what power and amp style I wanted.

Apr 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 12
I don't use the amp when powering the ie80s. The main point of this is that I'm looking for over ear headphones. Also, sorry for anything that doesn't make sense, I was typing on a phone with autocorrect on.

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 12
what can you listen to? what works great is best buy return policy.
When buying head phones or any audio speaker you will never have perfect. I was able to audition hifiman and returned them. so try them. Grado seems easy to find if you live in the U.S.. It took me 1 year to finally buy something. AKG k701 on Asgard great. HD 650 the same and so easy to tell them apart. I'm breaking in my Grado Ps 500 and sound changed today to a frying pan. using my portable Fiio amp forgot model. I upgraded From Grado Sr80 to the PS 500 just paid the difference. hd650 is one of my favorite. I could not listen to them so I took them home with 15 days to return. I want hifiman set next.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 12
my grado ps500 work better with the Asgard 2 feeding off my iPod then using Fiio E12. I can't conclude on 1 aspect, when switching between iPod and Fiio 12 amp is iPod alone has more low frequency output and E12 when used to amp the iPod goes flat. Do iPods get manufactured not completely flat?
more none sense how can the Fiio flatten out the boost in iPods output.
I'm using DACiT from peachtree.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 12
do think you will get HD 650? I could recommend getting a prime account from Amazon . I read that they give you a return policy of 30 days. if you hate send them back. I like their laid back sound; which helps in clarity. Also what is your audio knoweldge? FYI ive been in home and car audio and use to compete in car SQ comp. let's look at one point the HD 800 are mechanically constructed to produce soundstage. This is first thing in car audio that is done. example speakers in my car mount to the outside by cutting out metal then welding boxs to the outside this procedure helps with depth, soundstage. I could go on for hours.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 12
do think you will get HD 650? I could recommend getting a prime account from Amazon . I read that they give you a return policy of 30 days. if you hate send them back. I like their laid back sound; which helps in clarity. Also what is your audio knoweldge? FYI ive been in home and car audio and use to compete in car SQ comp. let's look at one point the HD 800 are mechanically constructed to produce soundstage. This is first thing in car audio that is done. example speakers in my car mount to the outside by cutting out metal then welding boxs to the outside this procedure helps with depth, soundstage. I could go on for hours.

I already have a prime account, so I might have to try that. Also, I'm a big hardware person but I only started dabbling into fancy audio gear a few months ago. I know what most of the terms mean, and I'm starting to build up a "considered good" product base, but that's it.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 12
Amongst the models currently in production, I prefer HE400 for jazz by a good measure.

Between the two Senns, HD600. The Hifiman and the Senns are very versatile when it comes to genres, with HE400 leaning more toward the popular genres and HD600 more toward more sophisticated music; HD650 is somewhere in between.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 12
hey buddy I've been putting the HD 650 to the test. don't buy them yet. HD 650, source Ipod ( not sure gen. year), and Asgard 2. first impression treble to laid back. Big issue is korn and other rock bands never took off just stayed even. It is DARK, but on my Mont Blanc e12 from Fiio different story listening to lindsy sterling. so correct equipment needed.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 12
big change after breakin. I really enjoy the Senn HD650. listening off peachtree Dac it and sonos or Nad DVD player connected to Asgard 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back