Good Headphones for Classical Music/Opera?
Jun 6, 2010 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cannondale

New Head-Fier
I'm buying a friend a set of headphones. He likes Classical music, Opera and Piano. I'm going to spend around $200 - $250. I have in mind :

1) Shure (SRH440)
2) Bose on ear
3) Monster Beat Solo

First of all : how are these 3 compare to each other? I know nothing, seriously, I'm using my ipod OEM (sigh)

I know that I should consider something else, but due to time constraint and limited models (I'm in Montreal, limited compare to in States), and of course my budget. Any other suggestion? Thanks in advance

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 21
I would go with the Shures, stay away from Bose and the Monster Beat solo's are going to be very bass heavy for classical.  Are those the only three choices you have?  Where will your friend be listening to their music?  Quiet environment, loud environment?   I personally like IEM's Inner (in?) ear monitors for my classical, I use ettymotic er6i's, and lately meelectronic M9's.  For headphones I use sony mdr-7505 studio monitors.  

Cheers,

Paul

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 21
Yeah, you'll find that the Monster's and BOSE aren't highly regarded here...quite despised, actually.  Can you order off the internet?  If you can, I would highly recommend it.  

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 21
If you can find like I did a Pair of Sennheiser IE 8's for that price then I would recommend them!

I was listening to Wagner today and the sense of scale, depth and detail was wonderful, also the ability to make a soprano's voice clear and and without grain or shrill is something to behold with these, very similar I find to my Stax!

The bargins are out there. I swear I managed to get mine from a seller here because folks thought them fake at the cost he was selling them at. He said money back if they were (they were still sealed BNIB) and there was no need for me to take him up on the offer. I am a happy bunny!

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 21
The thing is he's not comfortable using the IE. He tried skull IE skull candy but didn't like it. He did try bose QC, and liked it, so I guess he likes the OEM. I know, I read  a lot, and people seem to say; bose = stay away. I do have some other choices. Yesterday I was looking around at Sony. The guy pointed at me MDR-NC60 (noise cancelling) for C$249. Then I stopped by at another shop. I saw Denon AHD-1001BK and Senheise HD-555. I haven't been to any (specialized) audio shop yet - I might later today. Only went to big chains, ie : bestbuy, futureshop, Dumoulin, Radioshack (The source in Canada). I have to get it by Friday - don't want to go to Bday party empty handed, lol.

He's mostly going to use it at home with his sony mp3, so I guess any noise cancelling won't do any good. I know he's travelling during Christmas tho - then NC could be considered.

Now I'm up to a few choices :
1) Senh 555
2) Shure 440
3) Shure 840 (a bit over my budget)
4) Sony MDR 7505 - Thanks Paul
5) Senh 595 (a bit over my budget)

I'll get back with more choices. Anyway, any advice would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 21
If you're really looking at just those choices, the 555 is a good idea for home use. Not for travel though, out of the lot the Shure SRH440 would be most suited to use on the go.

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 21
If your price point was $100, I would have said Ety ER6 instantly. I can't vouch for the ER4, but I'd be willing to bet it would do you good.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 21
FWIR the 595's are much better than the 555's.  So, if you're willing to pay for 'em, I'd say go for those.  But the only pair you mentioned that I have actually used a lot is the 555's.  And they were pretty damn good.  Not super comfortable, but I have large head.  

If there's any possible way to get the Audio Technica AD700's, I would do that.  I can't tell you how amazing they are for classical.  

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
FWIR the 595's are much better than the 555's.  So, if you're willing to pay for 'em, I'd say go for those.  But the only pair you mentioned that I have actually used a lot is the 555's.  And they were pretty damn good.  Not super comfortable, but I have large head.  

If there's any possible way to get the Audio Technica AD700's, I would do that.  I can't tell you how amazing they are for classical.  

Actually, they 555's and 595's use the same drivers, so if price is an issue, there's ways to make the 555's sound better.  There's a gazillion comparison threads out there between the HD 555's and the AD700's, so if you're interested in either I'd do a search and see what people are saying.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 21
I agree with wiisus on all points out of your list I would go with the 595's or 555's the Sony Mp3 player should be able to drive them well.  I don't think you will be able to find the 7505's anywhere, they are an older model, the 7506 replaced them.  I haven't heard the AT AD700's yet, but those are my next planned full size headphone purchase.

Jun 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 21
Went to an audio store earlier : the guy said that shure 440 is the best bet. And he did say a no no to bose (huh - no surprise)! Shure 840 is on sales at apple store Canada. So, I could just go to futureshop and and they will match the price. What's the big different between 440 and 840? There were Grados too, but he said I better go with Shure 440 or a couple of Sony, I forgot which one.

I dunno where to get AT here. I'll google and find out.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 21
Which Grado's, I have had both the SR60 and 80 in the past and both were really nice with classical!

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 21
I think it's 325 and 225. He said that people around can hear your music, is that right? But he did say that the sound is great, but pricy. I saw AKG K 181 on Apple site. And some AKGs at local audio store.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
I think it's 325 and 225. He said that people around can hear your music, is that right? But he did say that the sound is great, but pricy. I saw AKG K 181 on Apple site. And some AKGs at local audio store.

The Grado's are open back so yes people around you can hear the music. I have to say as well they are not good at isolating external noise. However if the majority of listening is not outside and is in a quieter enviroment then those two would be wonderful I think. I like the sound Grado makes though I do not have their phones at the moment. Good alrounders I feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back