Good headphones ~$100 for Indie Rock?
Nov 18, 2010 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

reserved

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm in the process of choosing a pair of headphones. As in the title, I'm looking for a pair that goes well with Indie music like Franz Ferdinand, Spoon, Interpol, Pavement, etc. My source is a Cowon D2 with no amp as of now. I'm also on a budget right now, so I'd like to keep the price under $150 please :)

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should get? Some headphones I've looked at are ATH M50s, Denon D1001, and SRH840s. Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the M50s...what do you guys think? :D Thanks for any feedback in advance (Y)

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm in the process of choosing a pair of headphones. As in the title, I'm looking for a pair that goes well with Indie music like Franz Ferdinand, Spoon, Interpol, Pavement, etc. My source is a Cowon D2 with no amp as of now. I'm also on a budget right now, so I'd like to keep the price under $150 please :)

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should get? Some headphones I've looked at are ATH M50s, Denon D1001, and SRH840s. Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the M50s...what do you guys think? :D Thanks for any feedback in advance (Y)

I think the m50s are a good decison but dont forget about some grados who are also great for rock

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm an indie rock buff as well. I have a pair of M50s and believe that they work beautifully with the genre. One thing I've noticed with the bass is that, unlike what people say, it's not incredibly dominant; however, it's clear, smooth and accurate, making bass lines sound how they are supposed to sound (Modest Mouse  sounds excellent because of this.) Besides that, the highs are great besides a bit of sibilance that dies down with a little use and the mids are not as recessed as people make them out to be.

In all fairness though, I haven't tried the other phones for an extended period of time, and with some artists, I could imagine indie rock being better with the SRH840. I can't think that it could be as enjoyable to listen to the genre on the SRH840 instead of on the M50, though.

Also, Grados get good reviews for rock, but comfort plays a part too; I like to listen for hours at a time and on a supra-aural headphone that is known to not be too comfortable, I wouldn't think that extended listening is possible.

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:

I think the m50s are a good decison but dont forget about some grados who are also great for rock

Thanks Fallenangel, thats another point for the m50s :D Grados? I'll look into them but aren't they open? I'm probably going to be using these outside, so I think I need a pair of closed ones...Thanks anyways :) (Y)

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I'm an indie rock buff as well. I have a pair of M50s and believe that they work beautifully with the genre. One thing I've noticed with the bass is that, unlike what people say, it's not incredibly dominant; however, it's clear, smooth and accurate, making bass lines sound how they are supposed to sound (Modest Mouse  sounds excellent because of this.) Besides that, the highs are great besides a bit of sibilance that dies down with a little use and the mids are not as recessed as people make them out to be.

In all fairness though, I haven't tried the other phones for an extended period of time, and with some artists, I could imagine indie rock being better with the SRH840. I can't think that it could be as enjoyable to listen to the genre on the SRH840 instead of on the M50, though.

TLDMan, thanks for your input. Looks like the m50s are popular on head-fi in this price range...

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks Fallenangel, thats another point for the m50s :D Grados? I'll look into them but aren't they open? I'm probably going to be using these outside, so I think I need a pair of closed ones...Thanks anyways :) (Y)

Yeah they're open, and yeah the m50s are a really popular phone in this price range. Just wait a bit longer for some more output. You'll probably get a lot of suggestions from others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back