Good EQ settings for Ath-M50's
Feb 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 12
yeah, thats what i had it set at, but there was minor disortion in the music overall (could not pinpoint what it was) but im assuming it is just from not burning in my headphones

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 12
What kind of bass do you want boosted? If you want a warmer sound boost around 200-250Hz. If it's just more impact (aka thump) you're after just add a low shelf at 100Hz to boost everything below that level.

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Yea M50 is quite nicely balanced headphone why so many people like it I suppose, if you really must try EQ it for better which is ok if you're a perfectionist like me that has to get the optimal settings for everything then you could try perhaps something like this but it's been a very long time now since I tried the M50 so this setting may not be optimal but I also checked with headphone.com FR graph to try back up my memories a bit

It could be fun to boost the bass even more when listening to more bass heavy genres but yea this would be just for perhaps slightly more balanced sound.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 12
I just boost the mids a bit since that's the weakest aspect of their presentation. Helps to bring vocals out a little more. Maybe what you're hearing is clipping. I don't know if iTunes has this, but Foobar has a feature(auto level) which levels your EQ settings which helps eliminate clipping. Maybe you can give it a go.

The bass of the M50 definitely responds well to EQ. Using the max bass boost setting on my FiiO E7 really does make them seem like a "bass monster" without muddying up the rest of the spectrum. I only use that setting for hip-hop, though.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
let me know what you guys think, i listen to mainly up beat songs, or songs with some bass. Let me know

Well since they are monitoring headphones and made to offer as flat sounding as possible it is not a good idea and and by giving them equalization you would probably make them less natural than what they are.
sometimes I just give it a slightly boost at 30~65Hz for some more vibrating sound when i am watching a movie or listen to some dubstep , but most of the times i like them more natural and the bass is quite good and natural and dont need equalization for most of the cases.

May 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Well since they are monitoring headphones and made to offer as flat sounding as possible it is not a good idea and and by giving them equalization you would probably make them less natural than what they are.
sometimes I just give it a slightly boost at 30~65Hz for some more vibrating sound when i am watching a movie or listen to some dubstep , but most of the times i like them more natural and the bass is quite good and natural and dont need equalization for most of the cases.

it irks you say it is not a good idea to EQ, i believe you should EQ to your hearts desire. my personal eq adds below 80, takes a bit off around 200 and 8k. i also add a slight bump in whatever the highest region the eq allows, to add airyness. i find my results are quite good with that. also make sure not to increase much or you could get clipping from preamp if you do what i do, which is applying the eq to my ipod, i use a fiio e6 and LOD. if i turn up levels much without reducing the "preamp" as itunes calls it, i get clipping from the ipod itself. to apply the eq to an ipod you make a new preset and name it with the same name as any EQ on your ipod. then select the songs, right click and go to get info and apply the preset in the options.

play around with your eq until it reaches a goldylocks area(just right) then enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back