Good DAC/AMP Combo for $400
Mar 26, 2013 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dryvadeum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I may have some money coming my way soon and wanted to get some advice on a good DAC/AMP Combo to drive my HE 500'S for $400 AUD. I like a clean transparent sound.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 11
It is worth considering the Audio gd NFB5. I havn't heard the HE500 but it should drive it with relative ease.  It uses dual WM8741 DAC chips.

Power output:
[size=small]3500mW/25 ohm [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]1800mW/50 ohm[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]900mW/100 ohm[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]300mW/300 ohm[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]150mW/600 ohm[/size]

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
It is worth considering the Audio gd NFB5. I havn't heard the HE500 but it should drive it with relative ease.  It uses dual WM8741 DAC chips.

I have been using the NFB-5 for about a year and in my view it outperforms many units twice the price. It's very good with low impedance headphones and certainly has enough power to drive the HE500.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 11
Not exactly the same units I tried before, but if you're considering a sec hand 10SE I suggest stretching your budget and go for a new NFB-10.32.  The new USB32 input is reported to have better treble (although the NFB-10 has good treble on it's own, not harsh but smooth, and clean. I used to have a 10.2).

What I experienced through several nice and affordable Chinese DAC/Amps is that, the ones that use R-core transformers were always better than the ones with cheap toroidal (this probably doesn't apply for European, American or Japanese gear).

If you only need single ended output for your headphones, and if you have no plans to re-terminate to 4-pin XLR, probably the NFB-5 is ok.  However, I definately recommend using headphones balanced for Audio-gd gear.  You can immediately tell the difference, especially the powerful units with the R-core transformer.

Quote:
Would the Audio GD NFB 10SE be a lot better than  the NFB 5???

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Not exactly the same units I tried before, but if you're considering a sec hand 10SE I suggest stretching your budget and go for a new NFB-10.32.  The new USB32 input is reported to have better treble (although the NFB-10 has good treble on it's own, not harsh but smooth, and clean. I used to have a 10.2).

What I experienced through several nice and affordable Chinese DAC/Amps is that, the ones that use R-core transformers were always better than the ones with cheap toroidal (this probably doesn't apply for European, American or Japanese gear).

If you only need single ended output for your headphones, and if you have no plans to re-terminate to 4-pin XLR, probably the NFB-5 is ok.  However, I definately recommend using headphones balanced for Audio-gd gear.  You can immediately tell the difference, especially the powerful units with the R-core transformer.

Ok, thanks for the input. I'm now looking at the Violectric V90 - is that a better quality amp than the NFB5 or 10?

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 11
I don't have experience with the V90 sorry.

I just got a V181 few months ago and fell in love with it.  Probably an end game for me with solid state balanced amps.  It cost me nearly twice but exceeds the NFB-10's headphone amp section - hard to put in numbers, but I would say a 10% increase in performance from high to low, comparing both balanced.

I now have faith in Violectric/Lake People products but not sure if the V90 is on par with or outperforms the NFB-10.  The NFB-10.2 did quite well and pretty close to the V181, so the 10.2 (and it's series) has an outstanding cost-performance ratio if you're looking for a one-box solution.  Remember you need a DAC too if you're going to get a V90, but the NFB-10 already has it.

So I guess it depends if you want to go balanced or stay single ended with headphones.

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the input. I'm now looking at the Violectric V90 - is that a better quality amp than the NFB5 or 10?

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 11
I don't have experience with the V90 sorry.

I just got a V181 few months ago and fell in love with it.  Probably an end game for me with solid state balanced amps.  It cost me nearly twice but exceeds the NFB-10's headphone amp section - hard to put in numbers, but I would say a 10% increase in performance from high to low, comparing both balanced.

I now have faith in Violectric/Lake People products but not sure if the V90 is on par with or outperforms the NFB-10.  The NFB-10.2 did quite well and pretty close to the V181, so the 10.2 (and it's series) has an outstanding cost-performance ratio if you're looking for a one-box solution.  Remember you need a DAC too if you're going to get a V90, but the NFB-10 already has it.

So I guess it depends if you want to go balanced or stay single ended with headphones.

I'd be staying single ended. I think the violectric might be better as it can be paired with any dac and ouputs a bit more juice than the nfb 10. Orthos love current so It'd probably drive them slightly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back