Good combo? Nuforce uDAC2 + Schiit Valhalla + DT880/600
May 4, 2012 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

garfieldodie

New Head-Fier
Hi all
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all I'm pretty new to Hi-Fi area
confused_face_2.gif
; before I've been interested in IEM, but not an expert either. 

Now I get this DT880/600 ohm as a gift and don't know where to start. My question & choices may sound very entry-level to some of you, but I really want to set up an affordable system with good sound quality.

After couple of days of research, it roughly comes to me as:
Macbook pro - (optical output) - Nuforce uDAC2 - Schiit Valhalla - DT880/600ohm
I might also use IPC or Cowon J3 as source.

The music I listened to are mostly New Age & Pop.

I'm not quite able to describe what kind of sound I like, but from my experience with IEMs, I would like to say that I prefer the sound of  UE TF10 more than Grado GR10 and Shure SE425. (I know they are armature but DT880 is dynamic, and may not be comparable... so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question
frown.gif
)

So, is the combo mentioned above a good one for me? I don't want to be strict on my budget but I also don't want to spend way too much since high-end products are closely related to one's own experience and preference. For this set-up(DAC+AMP) it will cost me about $500 and I am comfortable with the amount. Lower or a little higher will be fine (<$600)

Thank you very much for your patience!
tongue.gif

May 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 3
Wow, you picked one of the worst engineered amps and dacs :D Protip: be sceptic of everything you read here on Head-Fi. Google "O2 ODAC" instead, that will give you the provably cleanest sound at a ridiculously low price. The O2 is so good its' author got banned from Head-Fi :wink:

May 5, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your advise. Yes I should be more sceptic of what I heard, there're just too many info for me to digest and I get confused now and then... plus I am a lazy person... Will check O2. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back