Good closed headphones
Apr 16, 2024 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mitchb

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Abyss 1266 Phi TC headphones which are my favourite headphones and I have a pair of Audeze LCD-XC headphones for closed headphones and they are okay but I am looking for really good closed headphones. The LCD-XC’s are not bad but I am wanting better headphones for closed headphones. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am looking to spend max $5000.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 16
I think the Dan Clark Stealth closed back will really fit the bill. The open back tracks the Harman curve better than any headphone, and their support is excellent. There's the Hifiman HE-R10P and Heddphone 2.0, but in that price range the Dan Clark Stealth is probably the only one you'd notice as an upgrade. I've had several Audeze models and Dan Clark ones over the years. Diminishing returns gets pretty steep, especially with closed backs. I think the DCS would be the end of the road for upgrading. Thursday I have a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X coming in and really looking forward to it, since they did such a nice job on the DT900 Pro X tuning.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 16
What kind of sound signature do you prefer? ZMF Caldera Closed is coming out next month. Both the Atrium Closed and Verite Closed are fantastic closed backs.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 16
DCA E3, excellent tuning that most (statistically speaking) would prefer and hands down best distortion performance even when you consider much more expensive headphones. And if you want the absolute lowest distortion, DCA Stealth. As a plus, both sound most open closed backs.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 16
DCA E3 is probably my favorite close back so far closely follow by the Focal Elegia with Dekoni Stellia pads. I actually like the Focal more than the ZMF line up (haven't heard the Atrium Close) and if it wasn't for the size, definitely would have used it over my Stealth as my travel companion.

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 16
I’m throwing the D9200 in there

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 16
Denon 9200 or Fostex Th-900 mk2 if you want bass that can keep up with 1266 TC. Also V shaped tuning like the TC. Will not have the soundstage and details like TC, but it will be dynamic and fun like it.

Never heard Verite closed but Atrium closed tuning is very different from TC, there’s much more warmth and not as detailed and clear/energetic like the TC. The Denon and Fostex are more like the TC in that regard.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 16
The realistic answer: Get some TOTL IEM if you want the sound quality to compete with TOTL headphones.
Denon AH-D9200 is very solid, some ZMF's may be your style, but don't think that they can compete with isolation / sound quality with TOTL IEM's.
I have tried a lot of headphones and didn't find a single one that actually blew me away without a significant drawback in terms of sound when it comes to closed backs.

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 16
The Kennerton Rognir is the closest to the TC. And it's quite close in many ways.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 16
Obviously, there are plenty of good closed-back headphones...so which one is it for you...
I couldn't decide on one particular...so I am collecting as many :)
No one mentioned the Sony MDR Z1R...

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back