Good Closed Headphone that's portable?
Oct 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Derek1984

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a closed headphone that is under $150 and is portable to use with my ipod. I usually listen to music in the office so having something closed is a must to me. I like the looks of the Sennheiser PX100's but I know they are open. I am thinking about the PX 200's but I hear that the SQ is not as good as the 100's and that has me worried a bit. Could you buy replacement pads for the PX 200's and somehow put those on the PX 100? I just don't want a pair of headphones that are going to look funny wearing in a office and the PX 100's and 200's don't look that bad to me. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Thanks

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 22
Denon D1001?

AHD1001_Black_Short_G_rdax_209x350.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 22
Audio Technica ATH-ES7 or ATH-ESW9

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 22
IMO, the D1001s are not suitable as portables. Two reasons: Lack of isolation and poor aesthetics.

Also, I think the ESW9s are too big to really qualify as portables. They're often hailed as the best (or one thereof) portables here, but I'd never wear them out. The ES7s seem to be the best choice, I think. HD-25 1 IIs if you can find them for oyur budget.

Also, PX200s...no. I prefer the AKG K26Ps or 414Ps, but not many people like them here.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 22
ESW9s are hardly $150 cans.. Size-wise they are quite big, but I wear them outside.
Had HD 25-1s, pretty much the same size.

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 22
get on ebay, and get a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1's. with your budget, i'd buy nothing else, and i mean nothing else. Not Grado's, AT, earphones, noise canceling nonsense, nothing!

get the HD25-1's!

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 22
After reading some mixed reviews here I eventually bought some AKG414Ps .

I use them for a half hour each way noisy commute and they are fine for that purpose. Not the most detailed or headphones ever, and they become uncomfortable after an hour or so but not as bad as the detractors make out and excellent VFM.

I also have the PX100 and PX200. I really like my PX200's, but ultimately the lack of bass is their achilles heel.

As for whether closed is a must or not, I would say that if you want closed phones for your benefit because the office is noisy then closed phones are right for you.

If you are looking to avoid disturbing others, I would still say PX100 and keep the volume under control. They are far and away the most comfortable portable headphones I have and are ideal for listening for extended periods.They also sound much better than the PX200's

Simon

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the D1001s are not suitable as portables. Two reasons: Lack of isolation and poor aesthetics.

Also, I think the ESW9s are too big to really qualify as portables. They're often hailed as the best (or one thereof) portables here, but I'd never wear them out. The ES7s seem to be the best choice, I think. HD-25 1 IIs if you can find them for oyur budget.

Also, PX200s...no. I prefer the AKG K26Ps or 414Ps, but not many people like them here.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

creative aurvana live, i heard, is a repackaged ah-d1001 and i don't think it looks too ugly.

It's as good looking as es-7 IMO.
They're equally shiny
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 22
I'm a big fan of my AKG K81dj. Good isolation, great bass, and they stow away very conveniently.

They take a little manipulation to fit you correctly, but once you've got them sorted they sound very nice.

The ATH-ES7 is another great headphone. You won't go wrong with either of those.

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #15 of 22
Right now I am leaning towards the Sennheiser PX 200's. I know the SQ isn't the greatest but they are closed and wouldn't look too big for the office. Could I buy the PX 100's and replace the ear pads with replacement pads meant for the PX 200's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back