Good CDPs / SACDPs?
May 13, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #16 of 66
The Sony SCd-555ES was originally $1600 when it came out and is now under $700. You will be hard-pressed to beat its build quality for under $1K.

markl

May 13, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #17 of 66
There's more to a CD player than build quality... Joe, if somehow you do find some non-Sony CD players around, you owe it to yourself to hear them. Hong Kong was a British colony with extensive trade links to the outside world -- perhaps there are some business connections still there? I don't know, but if there are, perhaps you would be lucky enough to find some British electronics.

May 13, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #18 of 66
Oh--neutral would be the best of course, but if I had to choose a colouration it would be a midrange push (upper midrange push)

Well there's another HiFi shop in Causeway Bay (same district Time Square is in) and I do know a place or two in Mong Kok
evil_smiley.gif

Went for a brief look at Causeway Bay today--woah, things are not cheap! A Sony SCD-333ES runs for over $1000! (about HK$10000)
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

There's an Arcam CDP that's more expensive than the 333ES but I don't remember the model...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 13, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #19 of 66
Interesting,

On the UK Sony site, the best specced SACD player is the SCD1...

Notice how on the product range scale, its higher than the 777ES... even though even the SCD1 is only two thirds of the way up the product line up according to that scale (although UK SACD players don't go any higher that that
confused.gif
I'd love to know what is better
biggrin.gif
)

May 13, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #20 of 66
I just bought the Sony SCD-C555ES from Oade.com for $539. It is also available from jandr.com for the same price (on back order though).

There are reviews for both the 555 and the 777 on Stereophile.com archives. However, for the price, the 555 is definitely worth the try IMHO.

May 13, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 66
another player that i'd love to drool over... (although NOT SACD) is the Marantz CD17 mk II

e_cd17mkii_lrg.gif

Also, The SA1 SACD Player...

e_sa1_lrg.gif

e_sa1_bck.gif

These are seriously expensive bits of kit in the UK, but maybe in Hong Kong (IIRC the home of Marantz) these units might be cheaper, and in Joe Bloggs' budget

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 66
Going by what Joe said the 333ES costs in HK, I very highly doubt Marantz is going to be any cheaper, and certainly not the SA-1. That player retails for $5k, and goes on the street for $2500+ used.

As for SCD-1 vs. XA777ES...don't even bother asking that one. It goes both ways.
wink.gif

And Joe, if you do buy internationally such as through Audiogon, don't forget you'll probably have to do voltage switches. Which may or may not be too cool for the CDP's sound quality ultimately.

May 13, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #23 of 66
Wow, this is the first time that i've read up on SACD...

Quote:

SPECIFICATIONS
CD:
Frequency range : 2 - 20 kHz
Dynamic range : 98 dB
Signal-to-noise : >110 dB
Channel separation : n.a.
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) : 0.0015%
SACD:
Frequency range : 2 - 100 kHz
Dynamic range : 109 dB
Signal-to-noise :>110 dB
Channel separation : -
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) : 0.0012%
Mechanism : CDM10
D/A conversion : 4 x DAC7

Thats a lot of extra headroom that SACD gives you... and the CDs are the same running time, yeah?!

May 13, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 66
My push is for seperates. There are lots of good transports available in the used market and the quality/price of DACs is continually improving. If you're in this hobby for the long haul, seperates are always the ideal choice for upgradability.

If I weren't sticking to seperates myself, I would be searching audiogon daily. Some amazing deals roll through there. I saw the Arcam CD72 go for $380 used the other day and Arcam's top of the line going for $1500.

Thus far, I'm unwilling to limit myself to the handful of brands available to get the SACD format. I think the SACD format has more potential than redbook, but I'd rather have a good redbook player than an SACD player. I don't agree with the consensus among Sony owners that their SACD players equal the performance of competitors' similarly priced redbook-only players and think the gap broadens even more when used components are taken into the equation.

If however, I couldn't talk myself out of SACD, I would probably buy the 9000ES. I haven't gotten to hear this player yet but its gotten great reviews from people I have a great deal of respect for. In the long run a good DVD player has a lot of value added features over CD only players and should you still find yourself on the upgrade path later on, the 9000ES will still find usefulness to you when you decide to buy a high end CD player or transport and DAC later on. Modwright is no longer offering upgrades to the 9000ES (or any of the other sub-777 model Sony players) but I'm sure there are other qualified modification companies who do. I do think Sony makes great drives and overall an upgraded 9000ES could also serve as a good transport to a seperate DAC later on, giving you an alternate upgrade path.

Many people in this hobby find themselves at one of two extremes--one in which every product purchased must be utilized to its fullest from the first day of purchase and one in which today's usefulness is sacrificed for what will hopefully turn fruit tomorrow. I find myself trying to accomplish both goals at once which I think is an even greater challenge as a consumer. I have to look at the best bang for the buck TODAY but I also have to consider resale value and/or upgrade paths so that I don't feel like I got ripped off knowing full well that I'm going to upgrade.

As a third and final option (I swear I'll stop typing at some point), you may want to consider sinking the money into your PC. There are a lot of good CD drives available for your PC that will equal or better the drives placed in $1000 CD players. Of course, you'll want to get that digital signal out of that RF trap, reclock it and convert it to analog on the outside but there are a few advantages--that you can now play internet audio files at the full capability of your system, for instance, and that you can hear exactly what your equalized or otherwise edited audio will sound like before laying it to disc. I don't pretend to know you, Joe, but from what I know about you thus far, I'd put at least a thought or two into this route as well. I'm personally going this route in my "work rig."

May 14, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 66
Wow -- great post, Kelly... you seem to have summed up pretty much all of my own thoughts on digital front-ends. I myself am looking to go with separates -- getting a used CAL Delta and a new Musical Fidelity A3^24 DAC in a few months' time.

The one thing I disagree with is the PC option. While it is possible to make music coming from your PC really shine compared to using an onboard soundcard or even a higher-end consumer soundcard, from what I've read, reclocking jitter is never a perfect alternative to lack of jitter in the first place. The corruption of data within the computer case due to EMI and RFI is so high that it is hard to get it to a good level once outside the box.

The problems with separates, I think, have mainly to do with scale and associated costs. Separates will often take up more room. There are, of course, exceptions, but in general you're using two to three large boxes as opposed to one large box. Also, you need to start investing in quality coaxial cables that protect the signal from EMI and RFI. You will also need to buy power cords for two components as opposed to just one for maximum performance.

Regarding SACD I agree completely. Had I the money to buy the Sony 9000ES and the Musical Fidelity A3^24, I would. But as it stands, I'll need to work up enough money to get the DAC first, and so I'll want to upgrade my transport as soon as I can.

Okay, now I'm done ranting.

May 14, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #26 of 66
Sorry, guys, you've lost me--separates... separate what?? Separate transport and DAC?

Hmm, I suppose a digital soundcard and an ART DI/O can take my computer audio a long way... thanks for the advice kelly, now I have an even harder time deciding between a CDP and the ART DI/O
mad.gif
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Joe
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. Duncan, where did you pull those specs from--which player are they for?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 14, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #27 of 66
I hate to break it to ya great guys at team Sony, but it is most likely that the SACD format will die, thus leaving your expensive Sony player useless. Market demand is very small when compared to ordinary CD players. Team Sony, please dont hate me.

May 14, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #29 of 66
"I hate to break it to ya great guys at team Sony, but it is most likely that the SACD format will die, thus leaving your expensive Sony player useless. Market demand is very small when compared to ordinary CD players. Team Sony, please dont hate me."

You mean if they cancel SACD my SCD-333ES will start rejecting my CDs, too? Boy that will suck. better sell it now to some dope!

markl

May 14, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
You mean if they cancel SACD my SCD-333ES will start rejecting my CDs, too? Boy that will suck. better sell it now to some dope!

LOL!
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, though, HD5000, that sort of comment doesn't get us anywhere.

Joe: Separates refers to using a two-box solution to digital decoding, namely a transport and then DAC (as you correctly suggested). You said that you're willing to spend up to $1000... but are you sure that's what you need right now? I don't think that it's worth ever making that big a leap with any component until experimenting with smaller jumps first. It seems to me that an ART DI/O might be a good solution. However, it is not a well built machine which is part of the reason behind the low cost (around $120 + shipping, I believe) -- it has no optical input, it has a very high-voltage output, its build quality is very questionable according to most sources, and it apparently needs a good transport because it doesn't do anything to reduce jitter.

But also according to most sources, it's a fine-sounding little box for whatever reason. You may very well be very happy with it! And if you don't like it, you could always sell it. Maybe it's worth a shot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back