good capacitors?
Mar 16, 2008 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Faust2D

Headphoneus Supremus
What would be the best brand capacitors to use in a high voltage power supply of a stat tube amp? I am looking for very neutral and clean sound, but but still with a certain warmth to it.

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 36
Caps above 300V is what I am looking for. Nichicon and Elna I tried, I am looking for other interesting and good caps. Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
film?

motor run caps are your new best friend.

Really? There's a mess of motor run caps at my local junk/surplus store. I've been curious, but I haven't seen them suggested for audio use before.

Might have to work a few of them into my electrostat amp.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BlackGates VK or NH? Maybe?

That would be very nice, but lots of $.
frown.gif

I also like big Hitachi caps. But wanted to get opinions from people to see what sounds good to them, so i started this thread
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? There's a mess of motor run caps at my local junk/surplus store. I've been curious, but I haven't seen them suggested for audio use before.

Might have to work a few of them into my electrostat amp.

people dont use film for 2 reasons (or should i say they use electrolytics for 2 reasons over film...)
size
cost

theres noting you can do about size, these bad boys are BIG.
cost can be worked around by employment of creative sourcing. IE motor run caps
smily_headphones1.gif

it is worth note that a well designed PSU for a tube amp dosnt need anywhere near the capacitance of a SS amp. experience says that the QUALITY of the capacitors is almost more important than the capacitance.

i would look around if you are seeing motor run caps selling for $20. buy surplus and in bulk. someone on ebay sells 20 26uf caps in a lot every now and again... they go CHEAP

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the BG Vk is not too expensive, 150uf/350v is only $20 each, which really isn't that much more than the paper/oil motor caps.

Where did you find it for $20? I did not see BG high voltage caps that cheap.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 36
I will also recommend motor run caps. I use them for power supplies and also for signal coupling. They always sound better then any other cap I have found, until you get into the really exotic copper foil caps, etc. Those are not worth the huge price for the small improvement they make over motor run caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back