Good backup hardrives
Dec 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
I'm currently using a WD Passport which is great considering it is small and easy to carry it around with you.

It only has 232 GB of space and sooner or later I would like to upgrade to a 1TB drive.

I will most likely replace the Passport with a 1TB drive so the passport will be the "carry around" drive.

So the 1TB drive will be on my laptop at all times while I will buy the same (or maybe different model) just for backing up (only on when backing up stuff).

Any good drives, I herd Seagate aren't that great and the Samsungs are good.

Also when I get the hard drives is it better to NTFS it?

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 19
No problems with Western Digital or Samsungs. Just don't buy Maxtor. I would recommend you use the internal SATA controller, buy a cageless 5.25" drive caddy like the ones on servers. I've got one on my HTPC useful for copying data then removing. I would not trust USB drives due to partition corruption.

As to NTFS that's partition system you should be using NTFS not FAT32. Unless you use Linux in which case it'll be EXT system.

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problems with Western Digital or Samsungs. Just don't buy Maxtor. I would recommend you use the internal SATA controller, buy a cageless 5.25" drive caddy like the ones on servers. I've got one on my HTPC useful for copying data then removing. I would not trust USB drives due to partition corruption.

As to NTFS that's partition system you should be using NTFS not FAT32. Unless you use Linux in which case it'll be EXT system.

Well this will all be on a laptop and I don't know what a SATA controller is? Unless that is for using regular HDs without a tower?

FAT32 is not giving me problems ATM, but I would change it to NTFS so I can hold some HD videos for once (it is not a deal killer ATM).

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 19
NTFS is recommended smaller cluster size more secure, reliable, faster partition system. Doesn't slowdown like FAT32 when filling the drive up, not so bad at defragmenting either. I don't know why you're using FAT32 I guess pre-built laptop? FAT32 has no benefit over NTFS on the contrary. I always use NTFS now unless it's a Linux build.

Since you have a laptop looking at USB, unless your laptop has E-SATA port in which case use that.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NTFS is recommended smaller cluster size more secure, reliable, faster partition system. Doesn't slowdown like FAT32 when filling the drive up, not so bad at defragmenting either. I don't know why you're using FAT32 I guess pre-built laptop? FAT32 has no benefit over NTFS on the contrary. I always use NTFS now unless it's a Linux build.

Since you have a laptop looking at USB, unless your laptop has E-SATA port in which case use that.

Laptop and the external that I'm using right now (WD Passport) I forgot to change it to NTFS so I need to use another external or put the stuff on a friend's computer and change it to NTFS.

I won't be using Linux and this laptop doesn't have a E-SATA port on it so I'm using USB.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 19
western digital is always good, but the samsung spinpoint are just as good and usually can be found cheaper than the WD drives. i would recommend not getting the "green" drives b/c they will often just shut down after a couple minutes of not accessing/using them. so it can be annoying, but usually the green drives tend to be cheaper, from what i've seen.

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 19
I have one of these and it's great: NAS200. You'll need to 'build' it, i.e., buy separate hard drives to go in the back, but it can be set up so that you only actually use on of the HDs, and the second mirrors it and acts as a back-up in case of any disasters.

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one of these and it's great: NAS200. You'll need to 'build' it, i.e., buy separate hard drives to go in the back, but it can be set up so that you only actually use on of the HDs, and the second mirrors it and acts as a back-up in case of any disasters.

So with this I can install two 3.5 SATA drives right?

I use the ethernet port for my internet (wireless internet sucks in the dorms) so I can hook this via the ethernet port and I can use the internet and download stuff on it at the same time?

I was thinknig about buying this:

Newegg.com - Rosewill R2-JBOD Aluminum 3.5" USB 2.0 DUAL-BAY External Enclosure - External Enclosures

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 19
On a laptop, if you don't go the usb route you could always find an expressport>SATA adapter.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 19
just DONT buy seagate blackarmor stuff.. mine arrived yesterday (nas 110) with a single 2tb disk.. now this is in a plastic case with just some air vents (no fan) and this disk got so hot i burned my fingers.. plus straight out the box it made a clacking sound like the head is crashin constantly.. well took it apart and put it in my pc system (works fine now with some fan blowin air at it) but yeah that wasnt really the idea.. i think ima buy a netgear readynas shell

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #15 of 19
Running 2 1TB drives (Samsung and WD Green) and 2 250 GB (both Maxtors) in this right now, works great, especially over eSATA. I'd stay far far away from Seagate right now, especially the fiasco with the 1.5TB drives right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back