Good backup hardrives
Dec 3, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 19
I had a WD 320gb portable... and this summer it went corrupt and I lost 300gb worth of data. I'm never using external portables for even remote storage. Once I formatted it and switched it to NTFS it worked OK, but I now only use it for data transfer. For storage/backup I switched to internal Seagate 1TB drive. Beware.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a WD 320gb portable... and this summer it went corrupt and I lost 300gb worth of data. I'm never using external portables for even remote storage. Once I formatted it and switched it to NTFS it worked OK, but I now only use it for data transfer. For storage/backup I switched to internal Seagate 1TB drive. Beware.

I just hope it will last until next month when I'm going with the encloser/HD route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Running 2 1TB drives (Samsung and WD Green) and 2 250 GB (both Maxtors) in this right now, works great, especially over eSATA. I'd stay far far away from Seagate right now, especially the fiasco with the 1.5TB drives right now.

I don't have an eSATA connector on my laptop sadly so I have to use USB. For that encloser can you point me to a place that sells the product in the US?

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 19
If you have only a laptop, I'd choose a NAS over a USB HD. Like another poster said had data corruption, and sods law you'll notice the corruption after your primary HD has gone down and need to retreive your data. Reason why I never use USB hard drives for important data.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #19 of 19
99% of the corruption is not caused by the medium themselves but the transmission. It is HOW you backup, not WHERE you backup. If you are making your backup by copy pasting the files, you are doing it wrong.

If you are on linux/mac use rsync. If on windows, use cwrsync or deltacopy. This will ensure a bit perfect copy from source to backup.

As for the type of hard drive to use and the FS for the backup, it does not matter. Just don't use an old device that's done its time. Make a full media scan the first time you get it to make sure all sectors are good, and you are set. The use of such devices is so low that it will almost never die (assuming you turn it off after you backup).

I guess a good analogy for you audio folks would be ripping discs using itunes and EAC..not the same
smily_headphones1.gif

My current setup is NAS-->RSYNC backup to local machine + RSYNC Backup to WD passport 500gb. This way I am certain to NEVER EVER EVER loose my music....EVAR!! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back