Good Amp for HD650 and Marantz 5001 combo
Apr 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vai-777

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using the HD650's through the headphone jack on the Marantz CD5001. I love the sound but have read so much here about how the 650 "needs" an amp. Anyone know of a good amp $300 maybe a little more (NO TUBES) that would make a noticable difference in sound quality.

Thanks....

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 13
Look into an amp from Purity Audio.
They should be buliding more in the next few months so you could get one then.
I absolutely love the way the Caliente version sounds with 650s.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 13
There is really no reason to stipulate no tubes except for misinformation about them. They are not high maintenance or even very fragile. You will need to replace tubes about every 3-5 years with normal listening habits, which is hardly something to be worried about. Furthermore, most of the low end tube amps in your price range use very common tubes and won't cost more than $20 or 30 to re-tube every few years.

On top of all of that, the 650s pair very nicely with many OTL tube amps, so you are limiting yourself in a way if you refuse to look at them.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 13
I personally use an amp that I love - a Head Room Maxxed Out Home from about 2003/2004. I bought it new and have used it with my HD650s for countless hours of fun. I mention it because I think that they sell for about your budget.

Tubes are great, too, of course
atsmile.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 13
There is a big risk getting cheaper headphone amps that is not any better then what you already got. If you are happy with it why upgrade just because other people do. Honestly I am sure I would have been perfectly happy with the DT 770 PRO still if I would have stuck with it. You just raise the bar and then you get spoiled and want to raise the bar again... Evil circle
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 13
X2 on the purity audio KICAS amps I realy enjoyed my HD650 with the Caliente but the balanced CKKIII blows it away but that is a different subject. I think you would be served well by one of the KICAS amps.

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the HD650's through the headphone jack on the Marantz CD5001. I love the sound but have read so much here about how the 650 "needs" an amp. Anyone know of a good amp $300 maybe a little more (NO TUBES) that would make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

Graham Slee amps are highly rated here in the UK.

(NB: Please ignore my Sennheiser tag - this is a personal comment and not official Sennheiser policy)

May 1, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 13
i have the sennheiser hd 650 with the dac1 pre as my dac / amp... it sounded amazing but i just also ordered a 15foot equinox cable for it and was wondering w/ that setup if you think the amp in the dac1pre is going to show the full potential of the 650's or is another amp recommended on top of that (b/c i kinda need the dac anyway)

May 1, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runkby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the sennheiser hd 650 with the dac1 pre as my dac / amp... it sounded amazing but i just also ordered a 15foot equinox cable for it and was wondering w/ that setup if you think the amp in the dac1pre is going to show the full potential of the 650's or is another amp recommended on top of that (b/c i kinda need the dac anyway)

That Dac and Cable deserve some beautiful glowing tubes to bring that rig to life. Or you could go balanced, NAH, tubes all the way.
wink.gif

May 1, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 13
The amp in the CD5001 isn't half bad at all. I think it's the same circuit used in the SA8001 - I use that now and then and enjoy it. It's not the greatest amp I've used, but it doesn't have any glaring faults that detract from the music or interrupt your listening. You could go on using it and not miss that much.

If you want a good solid state amp at a fair price, however, look at the Gilmore Lite/Dynalo, M^3, CK2III, and EC/SS. All are of high quality and designed by some talented people. They'll also do well with any other headphone you could want, save for the K-1000, but those are a special case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back