Good All-in-ones for the HD800.
Jul 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

St3ve

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about supplementing my rig with a decent all-in-one amp+dac unit. It would probably be fed by an Airport Express. Basically, I am now down to one headphone, my HD800, and have been meaning to try a decent solid state with them for a while. I also like the simplicity and elegance of a one-box unit which can sit by the bedside without offending my partner too much.  

At the moment, I am torn between the Grace m902 and the Meier Symphony.2 - with a slight lean towards the Symphony. The Grace looks great, but there has been a confusing response to how it plays with the HD800 - some people suggest it as a go-to amp, and others say the pairing doesn't sound quite right. I am leaning towards the symphony, as I have been meaning to try out one of Meier Audio's designs for quite a while (very almost bought a stageDAC earlier this year). Anyhow, I thought that I would see if anyone in the community had any suggestions about units that have escaped my attention, or opinions on those two that I have listed.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 9
For all-in-ones for any quality cans, you really ought to include the Headroom desktop ultra. Proven quality and reliability over time. Some feel that the DPS is optional, but I'd disagree. The extra $400-500 is worth it..

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 9
I have no experience with DAC19DSP but I don't know if m902 will be better than your current rig. I certainly liked WA6 much more than m902 when they were fed with the same DAC (and even when DAC of m902 was used). If you have limited space then m902, Lavry DA10/11, Benchmark DAC1 could be all good choices although I have never heard DA11 (only had DA10). Also, like above, Headroom amps are very well known.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
For all-in-ones for any quality cans, you really ought to include the Headroom desktop ultra. Proven quality and reliability over time. Some feel that the DPS is optional, but I'd disagree. The extra $400-500 is worth it..

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it - looks nice and tweaky (like the Meier stuff) and Headroom seem to have a great reputation.

Quote:
I have no experience with DAC19DSP but I don't know if m902 will be better than your current rig. I certainly liked WA6 much more than m902 when they were fed with the same DAC (and even when DAC of m902 was used). If you have limited space then m902, Lavry DA10/11, Benchmark DAC1 could be all good choices although I have never heard DA11 (only had DA10). Also, like above, Headroom amps are very well known.

I am actually thinking along the same lines. To clarify, I won't be getting rid of my WA6 rig, I guess I am just interested in the solid-state world, and have need of a small bedside unit. I guess getting a really nice DAC with a headphone out (like the Lavry or the Benchmark) is a sensible option as it would pave the way for me to try a balanced amp at some point in the future. Thanks for your input.

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I guess getting a really nice DAC with a headphone out (like the Lavry or the Benchmark) is a sensible option as it would pave the way for me to try a balanced amp at some point in the future.

If you're thinking balanced for the future, be sure to go with balanced DACs: left and right XLR outputs to amps.You'll be able to use them with balanced amps.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
If you're thinking balanced for the future, be sure to go with balanced DACs: left and right XLR outputs to amps.You'll be able to use them with balanced amps.

Indeed, I was a little bit gutted when the balanced (ref5) counterpart to the DAC19DSP came out about ten days after I bought my DAC19. Still, It is a wonderful unbalanced DAC so I shouldn't moan. I have always liked the look of the DA11 - seems to get great reviews, and the PiC image control looks like it could be useful.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 9
I thought the HD800s sounded great out of my Maverick D1
wink_face.gif
, but I thought they sounded even better out of the headroom combo.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 9
I would avoid the m902.  The Meiers are very nice (talk to JaZZ about that).

The Lavry DA11 is an EXCELLENT choice with the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back