Good, Affordable Headset for beginner
Aug 29, 2010 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

disappearedng

New Head-Fier
I tried Bose QuestComfort 15 today at a local Best Buy and I am just absolutely stunned by the noise cancellation. I have never owned any headphones that are decent and I was actually very impressed by Bose. Having done some research here, I realize you guys find BOSE to be rather inferior. 

I am interested in buying a headphone, and I am looking for the following (ranked by priority)

1) comfort
2) noise cancellation
3) good dimensions of sound ( I listen to heavy base, i.e. hip hop, trance, and also sometimes I very rarely listen to classical music which are more high frequency )

I am thinking of wearing these headphones everywhere I go, i.e. working out, in the library, in class, at work...

So does anyone here have any good recommendation for me? I find BOSE to be pretty pricy and I will wait for sale to purchase anything big.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 9
IEMs, like SE530 can offer very high sound quality and near perfect sound blockage.  They are also versatile and inconspicuous and so can be worn in all the settings you describe above with more ease and comfort than any full-sized headphone.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 9
Oh thx for the suggestion,
I am actually looking for headphones, not ear plugs because my ears are pretty waxy and easily irritated.

And SE530 is pretty pricy IMO for a pair of ear plugs. I have always wanted headphones because I think they look pretty cool and are really comfortable around my ears.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 9
Though these aren't the most noise canceling headphones in the world, My HD201's have been my gateway drug into this. The sound is great and it blocks out most of my surroundings( My roommates love their 5.1's) these can be had for as little a $16 and they are absolutely stunning.

I was like you about a month ago looking to get into music headphones and was told these and the RX700's would be my best bet, well now a month has passed and I've gotten over 1000 FLAC's and I have some RX700's coming in the mail(The For Sale forum is your friend use it). I can't wait to get them, I've heard they blow these out of the water.

I'd suggest you start small with some 201's and see how you like them.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 9
I have been reading some complaints about noise cancellations.

Can anyone here verify with that? 

I rank noise cancellation very high up in my list. I wouldn't mind going in a bit more for better noise cancellation with good bass.

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I have been reading some complaints about noise cancellations.

Can anyone here verify with that? 

I rank noise cancellation very high up in my list. I wouldn't mind going in a bit more for better noise cancellation with good bass.

Like I said for me it's acceptable, I don't push it though. I live in a house where we have four 5.1 systems usually going all at once. The HD201's wont' give you the "Closed in your head" feeling or the "Pressurised Ears" feeling. They will block out a good 50-70% from what I've heard( Was weed whacking in these and they really helped.) The bass is also on the weaker side, not that it's bad it's just a more neutral headphone then basshead cans would be. I beleive the HD212's are supposed to to be pretty great on bass, and the Sony XB700's.

Here's a girl who kinda unfairly reviews the HD555's against the HD212's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back