gone
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 14
If Your going to use it with the netbook also I'd say the Fiio E7 Amp/Dac and it's portable.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 14
I don't think so, You are paying extra for the DAC chip that come's with the E7 that enable's You to use it with the computer. I think it's $20-$30. more depend's on where You get it, You could look under the for Sale/Trade forum and get one used if someone is selling it, this site use's PayPal.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 14
I don't think so, I believe You need the Dac due to the USB connection on the computer. If You would like I can recommend to member's that should give You a better answer on this, SkyLab and Project86, I do not to confuse any more than need be. Just being Honest!

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 14
It's all a matter of degree. The E7 is a step up over most stock soundcards, but by all means listen to your phones out of the headphone output on your netbook. That said, if it sounds noticeably subpar compared to with the Touch, then you should spring for a DAC. Otherwise save your money if you're enjoying the music.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Are you able to reach a satisfying volume level on your headphones with the iPod? If not, then an E5 or E7 will help with that.

Next, you can use the E5 with a computer like so:
  laptop -> soundcard line-out jack -> E5 -> headphones

And it will usually be an improvement. Set the laptop's volume to maximum, then use the E5 to control the listening volume. This will reduce the amount of background noise from the laptop. The background noise comes from the other electronics inside the laptop, such as the video card and wi-fi. It is at a fixed level, so maxing out the audio volume will make the noise a smaller percentage of the whole signal. The E5 will then lower everything down to a listenable level.

But with the E7, you bypass the laptop's onboard sound altogether:
  laptop -> USB -> E7 -> headphones

The E7 will replace the functionality of the laptop's onboard sound chip. And since it is external from the laptop, the noise floor will be much lower.

So is it worth the extra $80? Depends on how good/bad your laptop's built in sound is. If it sounds good to you that's what really matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back