Golf-fi: Let's talk about golf!!!
Jun 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

analogbox

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I recently had a chance to go to a golf practice field with my uncle who started playing golf like a year ago. I've probably held a golf club once when I was in high school at my friends house. He took out a golf club in the back yard and told me to give it a shot so I gave it a try but I hit nothing but making a hole on the ground. This time, my uncle gave me a few advices on grabbing the golf club and postures on hitting the ball, so I gave it a shot again. Well, it hit! And I hit it pretty good(I think), a little more than a hundred yards. Well, it did went side ways but it flew! I know it's a joke to even a novice player to hit a hundred yards but I was doing better than my cousin's cousine(I'm not kidding) who had went to a few practice session before.
biggrin.gif

I came back home that night and went thru a major muscle ache for the next couple of days. Now, I can't stop thinking about picking up an iron myself and hit more of those golf balls. My uncle told me that 7 iron is probably the most famous first time iron to start with, and to build iron collections as I progress. But the problem is I don't know which one to pick up. Steep, flexible, short, long, wood, composite, graphite, etc.. THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS! Would anyone like to give me a recommendation on which iron to pick up? And give an advise or two on hitting the ball properly?

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 21
I'm not a golf expert, but I'll take a shot...

My advice is to go to a local Golfer's Warehouse (there are several in MA) and try a few used irons in their practice area. Either a 5 or a 7 is a good place to start, and cavity backed clubs are easier to hit than non-cavity backed ("blades"). Stiff rather than flex is recommended for beginners. Most of the options you are talking about apply to "woods" which are bigger, longer and harder to hit.

If you really get the bug, you'll probably want to just buy a set of irons rather than adding different brands and types as you go along. The reason is that you'll want to develop a consistent swing, and you'll want a similar feel as you move from club to clubs.

As far as advice on hitting, that's nearly impossible to do on a message board. If there's one thing I'd suggest it would be to take a lesson or at the very least check out a DVD for beginners. It's easy to break bad habits (and develop good ones) earlier than later.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 21
Yeah, buying a whole set may benefit me in the long run but it's kinda expensive though. I was thinking like, buy a good solid iron and get better at it then move on to a new bigger iron preferably the same brand becuase until I get better at swinging, I'll probably have no use for the extra sets if I get them. Plus, I've bought a few new headphones recently so I'm a little short on cash now.
rolleyes.gif

I'll probably check out the dvd though. I've been watching golf channels lately and they do have sections where they tell you about swinging and postures but FOTM is that it's not really portable. If I get a dvd, I can just load it to my ipod and watch it as I practice.

So, which brand would be the best at qulity and price?

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, which brand would be the best at qulity and price?

For your first club? Just find something that feels good to you and doesn't cost too much. If you get serious later, you're going to be replacing it anyway.

For your first set, there are a ton of choices - it's a lot like the world of headphones where much of it is subjective. I don't want to sound like a shill, but again, Golfer's Warehouse was where I was able to try a bunch of sets to see what felt comfortable. Eventually, after doing some online research on pricing, I went back and would up buying a set of Taylormades that were demo's and I'm happy enough. For a beginner, I strongly suggest going with a used set. Keep in mind that golfers - like audiophiles - have a serious case of upgradeitis, so there are a lot of good clubs that get traded in every season.

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 21
These are a steal. I have a set and they are fantastic and CHEAP! They are stainless steel, not a weaker composite. I am a fifteen handicap and have been playing for years and still recommend these.

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eventually, after doing some online research on pricing, I went back and would up buying a set of Taylormades that were demo's and I'm happy enough. For a beginner, I strongly suggest going with a used set. Keep in mind that golfers - like audiophiles - have a serious case of upgradeitis, so there are a lot of good clubs that get traded in every season.

Yeah, I was doing some research and TaylorMade looked very interesting. I dunno much about it but I saw it's name alot. That's gotta count for something, right? The thing is that I dunno what to look for when buying an iron. In other words, I can't tell which one is good and which one isn't. Are there anything you have to look for when buying an iron or a set?

Jun 1, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are a steal. I have a set and they are fantastic and CHEAP! They are stainless steel, not a weaker composite. I am a fifteen handicap and have been playing for years and still recommend these.

Wow. That IS a STEAL! That's about the price of a single iron. I'm gonna have to do some research on this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 21
Be careful...golf is an addicting and expensive hobbie.

My first set I bought a year and a half ago was a Tommy Armour set at Sports Authority. Now that I am getting better I am already thinking of upgrading but I know I can get a few more years out of my current set if I needed to.

Though it sounds like you are asking for a recommendation for purchasing single clubs, I'd assume you want to know what clubs to learn on first (you should definitely get a set instead of piecing single clubs together). I'd recommend working on your fundamentals with a 9 iron. For me that is just about the easiest club in the bag to hit. The 7 iron will probably eventually become one of the most used clubs in your bag though. Slowly work your way down, 5 iron can take some getting used to. 3 iron and Driver are difficult to hit consistently. As to the Short game...PW, SW, etc is a whole other story.

Anyways, get a cheap set to start (<$200), also get a set with steal shafts, they can take more punishment than graphite (that may be important while you are learning how to swing properly).

Read Ben Hogan's 'Power Golf'. Many people recommend '5 Lessons' but I got a lot more information from 'Power Golf.' I have gone from the 120's+ to consistent 90s (still improving) since I have started. I would credit %75 percent of my swing mechanics from the Ben Hogan books, the rest is from watching other people and a lot of Golf Channel.

Finally, don't overlook putting. Once you can minimize 3 putting or worse and start 2 putting or better you are in good shape. 3 putting is bad (thats 54 strokes spent on the greens)

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is true... sometimes. I think if you treat your golf clubs like the tools that they are, then you won't care if you have the prettiest ones. Iron technology is really slow - a nice cavity-back set will last ten years. Driver technology moves really fast - you will want a new one in less than a year, but should hold out at least three. Unfortunately, I have kept mine six.

To show how fast driver technology moves: I can hit my driver 250 yds. pretty consistently, but I can hit the new Taylor Made r7 CBG Max 275+ every darn time. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when that means 9 iron instead of 7 iron or 7 iron instead of 5 iron, the shots those fifteen yards give you just peel away.

However, irons are just the opposite. A set of ping eye2s are twenty+ years old and are still considered to be VERY good.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 21
What juniper said is true. FInd yourself a good set of used irons, up to maybe 5 years vintage. But, as he said, stuff like the Ping Eye2s are still good as well. Spend your money on lessons or training rather than equipment.

One of the best things I ever did was a series of lessons with a good teacher. I could have bought the latest, greatest driver with the same amount of money. Had I done that, I would have an expensive POS in my trunk now and on to the next club looking for the right band-aid to compensate for the swing flaw(s) du jour. Can get really expensive that way. Equipment makes maybe 5-10% difference, and alot of it is mental (just believing you can hit something well and having confidence in it). Having a repeating swing takes alot of that out of the equation.

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 21
Try and find some Old Ping Eye2's.

They are very easy to play clubs that give you enough flexibility in your shots.

I personally play a set combined with Calaway Wedges, a milled face putter, and some mixed Drivers. I got mine reshafted with graphite senior men's shafts (which are perfect if you are a girl who has a fast swing speed...the men's shafts are too tall).

Overall though, I feel that many of the top name brand sets are very pverpriced. You would do well to buy a set used. The good stuff stays perfect for a long time.

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didn't know this sport is that dangerous.
biggrin.gif
But on the other end, I can kinda see that thru my uncle who had no hobbies whatsoever before. He only worked, worked and worked, around the clock, all his life. That's probably why he has such a short temper. Anyhow, ever since he started playing golf, his whole personality started changing. Now, all he ever talks about is golf and he worships Tiger Woods. Anybody could see that he's addicted to the golf.

I would say that golf has changed him for the better but I would never want to get addicted like that though. I'm a full time college student and a full time worker so I barely have any time to do anything. If I get addicted to it like that, I'd probably mess up one or the other. I just wanna play casually like some afternoons when the weather is nice and there's some spare time to waste.

I was seriously thinking about picking up a Callaway club since it was the only club I've ever used. Plus, I saw Annika Sorenstam at a nearby golf course doing some promotional work for Callaway a few days before she announced her retirement. And she said, Callaway's the only brand she ever used since the beginning of her career and I thought that was pretty cool. But I'll probably end up getting a used set as recommended. I wouldn't need a nice set at this level anyway. The biggest candidate right now is Ping Eye2 set since it's cheap and easy for the beginners. Now, if there's a way I could test swing these babies...
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #13 of 21
my father taught me how to golf at a young age with nothing but a 5-iron and a putter. we would walk on to the public courses just before and after the season officially started and ended. sometimes we were forced to use orange balls because there was still frost on the fairways and snow in the tree line.

the basics i was able to learn from having a patient teacher, and from the absence of over thinking shots with club selection was invaluable. i now consider myself an extraordinary, incredibly mediocre golfer :]

like audio gear, it is best to buy used. clubs are built to last and you can pick up some very good sets at very good prices. check some local pro shops, as they usually carry quality second-hand gear.

it's a great sport.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #14 of 21
I'm glad you picked up golf as a casual hobby
biggrin.gif

It's not one you can be good at overnight, so keep at it and practice when you have spare time. Get your grip sorted out and try to make solid contact with the ball every time!

Jun 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 21
My swing's not very consistent but from my experience I would say don't try to hit the ball too hard. Instead of going for distance go for correctness. I'd recommend starting with the 5 iron and basically just chipping the ball, focusing on keeping your left arm straight and consistent movement once you find what works. It's hard not to hit the ball as hard as you can though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back