Golf-fi: Let's talk about golf!!!
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 21
I'd recomend getting a couple of golf lessons (you may be able to borrow some clubs at a golf club) so that you get your stance, grip and swing started correctly. I had some lessons recently and turns out my stance, grip and swing were wrong and hence why my shots went from slice to hook and back again. Now my shots go (mostly) straight and I'm getting more out of the game.

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 21
I went golfing yesterday for the first time this year. I haven't even been to the range. I think I played pretty well, I ended up shooting 91. I would have broken 90 had it not been for the first 5 or 6 holes that it took me to get comfortable behind the club again.

I use Nike NDS irons and callaway big bertha woods.

Jun 2, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by guttorm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My swing's not very consistent but from my experience I would say don't try to hit the ball too hard. Instead of going for distance go for correctness. I'd recommend starting with the 5 iron and basically just chipping the ball, focusing on keeping your left arm straight and consistent movement once you find what works. It's hard not to hit the ball as hard as you can though.

That's what I should do. Really. If you look at my swing you'd think I'm hitting a baseball. I think that's why I got a major muscle ache for the next couple of days.
redface.gif
Right before we ran out of balls, I did try to slow down the swing and kept the left arm straight. Well, what do you know, that was my longest drive of the day and it didn't even fly to the right. I think I should get a book or lesson and try to work on stance more than anything.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 21
I'm in the same situation as the OP.
Looking to get into golf as a casual hobby...

What's the consensus on learning to play?
My cousin, who isn't really more than a novice himself, has been giving me a few pointers to start. He's been able to get me to hit the ball straight 8 out of 10 times, which isn't bad for half an hour. (I hope)

However, should I get myself some real lessons? I feel like bad habits die hard, so should I start off correctly? Or should I ask his father to take me out to the range instead?

How much exercise am I getting from the driving range? Obviously more than just sitting around, but am I burning a good amount of calories out there?

Finally, pointers on gloves? My hands are raw from just half an hour of smacking the balls around on the range. What should I look for in a glove, and which will leave me without blisters?

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nomdeguerre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My cousin, who isn't really more than a novice himself, has been giving me a few pointers to start. He's been able to get me to hit the ball straight 8 out of 10 times, which isn't bad for half an hour. (I hope)

Don't listen to him. Get lessons from a professional. This ends up being a huge mistake in the long run.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #21 of 21
I've golfed once, total of nine holes. I just tried to keep my head steady and follow through. First swing was nice and on target, same for most of the remaining holes (think I used a 6-iron). Problem was when I tried a driver. I couldn't hit sh_t with it, because I was trying to destroy the ball. Even Tiger has driver issues, so I didn't feel too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back