Goldplanar Discussion Thread - AMT Headphones from China
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 22
Hi guys just found out about this brand im looking at the GL1200 the ribbon one. I only found a Taobao listing but im not sure how to contact them as I am not a native chinese speaker and was wondering if its possible to ship to the US since thats where I am at. Also any one with exp with the GL1200?

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 22
Hi guys just found out about this brand im looking at the GL1200 the ribbon one. I only found a Taobao listing but im not sure how to contact them as I am not a native chinese speaker and was wondering if its possible to ship to the US since thats where I am at. Also any one with exp with the GL1200?
i direct contact them. You can try ask linsoul about gl1200 whether they can help you buy.

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #18 of 22
i direct contact them. You can try ask linsoul about gl1200 whether they can help you buy.
Do you have a contact details can’t find their direct online store or anything just a taobao store and I’m not sure if that’s goldplanar directly

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 22
Do you have a contact details can’t find their direct online store or anything just a taobao store and I’m not sure if that’s goldplanar directly

Read this comparison review of the GL850 vs GL1200 vs GL2000 first. If you still want to buy, then look for a Taobao agent. Or maybe ask Linsoul if they will carry the product soon.

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/336466176 (in Chinese, use Google Translate).

v2-b912b3c55164770ce4c1cb75f2dc336a_1440w.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #21 of 22
Didn't see a place to put a GL850 review, so:

First, I bought my GL850s THROUGH LINSOUL, after speaking with Lillian about what was new that might be interesting, so no concerns about "vendor variation".
GL850 Box-Side (2).jpg
These are expensive headphones, so I will try to answer the questions that I would want to know the answers to before plunking-down this type of coin...

Are they worth it? To me, Yes! These are "specialty cans" that may also double as daily drivers if you've got nothing else. Why the specialty can classification? Because these headphones have an unusual tuning that is IDEAL for "LIVE" music. Orchestra, folksongs, acapella, and most "analog" sounds are rendered with incredible realism. An Andreas Eastman and a Stentor don't just "play the same notes", I can truly hear that they each have unique tone, resonance, and quality/amount of sustain/dampening. The GL850 makes instruments around like "music" and not just tone generators. I know I'm hearing "An Acoustic BASS", and not just BASS NOTES. I hear A CORONET", and not just BRASS NOTES interchangeable with a trumpet or flugelhorn.
GL850 & Heddphone side-by-side.jpg
The sound IS BIG, and there is so much going on in complex tracks that I can pick out, but not so much due to compression, (Bringing up the bottom at the cost of dynamic range) but because the instrument or voice separation sets them apart clearly. The stage is "decently-sized", but not huge with a long oval shape. Wide strong left and right with slight forward and definite rear space. Think of an oval and you're in the center when considering the lateral axis, but you're standing 3/4 of the way forward. You still have space in front of you, but most of it is clearly behind you. The GL850 IS NOT A BRIGHT HEADPHONE. I've seen comments all over the place about it, and I can't believe anyone would consider the GL850 bright, so I had to say that's "right out"! The GL850 is mellow and huge and comfy and warm like being smooshed by a huge and thick downy comforter of sound. It's odd because you would think that by this description that things are just a muffled, syrupy mess, but it's not. Detail is very good. Not the most detailed, but good. Clear - not "dry", not "thin", and not "edgy". Just present with no occlusion to any portion of its range detectable. You get everything.

My personal preference is for the perforated pads (As seen in the image above) and not the leather pads mine shipped with installed. I felt the perforated pads opened up the GL850, and made the cans sound less like 2 tower speakers pointed at your head on a 45 degree angle, while only 5-6 inches away from your temples. (The way they sounded to me with the default leather pads.)
GL850 & Heddphone side-by-side (Stack).jpg
Amping is fairly easy, and every dedicated amp I have was adequate to power the GL850. I did ultimately acquire a balanced cable, but it wasn't truly necessary. My favorite setup is DAC: Denafrips Pontus, and Amp: Denafrips Artemis. Though I also thoroughly enjoyed them on my Topping A90, Schiit Asgard 2, Cavalli LCX, and SMSL SP200, as well. Portable amps from my iFi xCAN up to my iCAN, iDSD Micro, and iDSD Micro Black Label all powered the GL850 quite capably as well. While I would avoid driving the GL850 direct from a cellphone, I imagine most reasonably current mainstream DAPs and dongle amps will do at least a passable job or better with the GL850.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #22 of 22
Didn't see a place to put a GL850 review, so:

First, I bought my GL850s THROUGH LINSOUL, after speaking with Lillian about what was new that might be interesting, so no concerns about "vendor variation".
GL850 Box-Side (2).jpg
These are expensive headphones, so I will try to answer the questions that I would want to know the answers to before plunking-down this type of coin...

Are they worth it? To me, Yes! These are "specialty cans" that may also double as daily drivers if you've got nothing else. Why the specialty can classification? Because these headphones have an unusual tuning that is IDEAL for "LIVE" music. Orchestra, folksongs, acapella, and most "analog" sounds are rendered with incredible realism. An Andreas Eastman and a Stentor don't just "play the same notes", I can truly hear that they each have unique tone, resonance, and quality/amount of sustain/dampening. The GL850 makes instruments around like "music" and not just tone generators. I know I'm hearing "An Acoustic BASS", and not just BASS NOTES. I hear A CORONET", and not just BRASS NOTES interchangeable with a trumpet or flugelhorn.
GL850 & Heddphone side-by-side.jpg
The sound IS BIG, and there is so much going on in complex tracks that I can pick out, but not so much due to compression, (Bringing up the bottom at the cost of dynamic range) but because the instrument or voice separation sets them apart clearly. The stage is "decently-sized", but not huge with a long oval shape. Wide strong left and right with slight forward and definite rear space. Think of an oval and you're in the center when considering the lateral axis, but you're standing 3/4 of the way forward. You still have space in front of you, but most of it is clearly behind you. The GL850 IS NOT A BRIGHT HEADPHONE. I've seen comments all over the place about it, and I can't believe anyone would consider the GL850 bright, so I had to say that's "right out"! The GL850 is mellow and huge and comfy and warm like being smooshed by a huge and thick downy comforter of sound. It's odd because you would think that by this description that things are just a muffled, syrupy mess, but it's not. Detail is very good. Not the most detailed, but good. Clear - not "dry", not "thin", and not "edgy". Just present with no occlusion to any portion of its range detectable. You get everything.

My personal preference is for the perforated pads (As seen in the image above) and not the leather pads mine shipped with installed. I felt the perforated pads opened up the GL850, and made the cans sound less like 2 tower speakers pointed at your head on a 45 degree angle, while only 5-6 inches away from your temples. (The way they sounded to me with the default leather pads.)
GL850 & Heddphone side-by-side (Stack).jpg
Amping is fairly easy, and every dedicated amp I have was adequate to power the GL850. I did ultimately acquire a balanced cable, but it wasn't truly necessary. My favorite setup is DAC: Denafrips Pontus, and Amp: Denafrips Artemis. Though I also thoroughly enjoyed them on my Topping A90, Schiit Asgard 2, Cavalli LCX, and SMSL SP200, as well. Portable amps from my iFi xCAN up to my iCAN, iDSD Micro, and iDSD Micro Black Label all powered the GL850 quite capably as well. While I would avoid driving the GL850 direct from a cellphone, I imagine most reasonably current mainstream DAPs and dongle amps will do at least a passable job or better with the GL850.
I believe both the HEDDPhone and the GL850 had pad revisions that significantly change the sound. The HEDDPhone pad revision dragged down the spike at around 700Hz, while lifting the low & sub bass, upper mids, presence range and extended the treble much better, and I think the GL850 was similar in its new-found benefits.

If the FR curves for the HEDDPhone are correct, there might be some sensitivity at 700Hz and 5kHz to some users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back