Goldplanar Discussion Thread - AMT Headphones from China
Sep 26, 2020 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Hisma

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

Don't see any discussion on the newly released goldplanar gl850 so I figured I'll start a quick thread.

I pre-ordered my set back in February of this year (2020). Goldplanar is a chinese company that makes various planar & AMT-driver based IEMs & headphones. Their flagship at the moment is the GL850, which was finally released on September 18th. I got mine just a few days later, September 21st.

Here are some pics & basic impressions:
iivOdQt.jpg

the delivery box

T87HxcO.jpg

comes in a giant pelican case

LG3t9TR.jpg

the contents

R9pvGpA.jpg

close-up. Can clearly see the AMT driver

5X1etuQ.jpg

another pic of the AMT

bR90QtX.jpg

came with a nice cable. mini xlr inputs & xlr output. Also comes with a xlr to 6.35mm adapter I did not personally need to use.

TtV264U.jpg

my setup. Next to a hifiman arya, my previous end-game. My rig is a TA-10 dac/pre-amp with a sp200 amp on high gain (I also have a m200 dac, but terrible synergy for this headphone...more on that later)

Specs:
Impedance: 32Ω
Sensitivity: 90dB/mW
range: 10-40kHz
weight: heavy

Price: I paid about $800 as a pre-order special price. As of now it's roughly $1100. I bought it on the official goldplanar store on taobao (a chinese ebay essentially).

Sound impressions:
Excellent stage depth & detail. Sounstage isn't exactly wide, but it's deep and three-dimensional. Bass & lower-mid bass is prominent, but with fast decay. Where I'm not as enthusiastic is in the mids. Very mid-forward. With instrumentals, this isn't a big deal. But with vocals, particularly female vocals, it can get shouty. So to me, this is very much a mid-dominant set. Originally, I had these paired with my m200 dac & sp200 amp. With that combo, the vocals were so harsh on some tracks (I'm talking well-mastered, lossless flacs), that it made me regret buying this thing. When I decided to go to my old setup, using a xduoo TA-10 as a dac/pre-amp (which has a mediocre AK4490 dac but a smooth, warm tube pre-amp stage), it really helped tame the harshness in the mids. Still, certain tracks I feel I have to turn the volume down as the vocals are just too damn forward. So moral of the story for me... these do not synergize well with bright sources. Go warm, if you can. At least for my preference, a warmer source was noticeably superior to a colder/neutral source.
As far as treble goes, it's there, but I would describe these as "laid back". I'd love for someone to graph these, as there is a clear roll-off on the treble, probably somewhere around the 10khz range. In terms of treble, these remind me of my old trusty HD6xx. It's there, but it's clearly not the emphasis. If you're a treble head, these aren't for you. Having said that, I wouldn't describe these as dark or veiled either. Just more mid/lower-mid focused.

Other:
They're surprisingly comfortable for the weight. And the thing is very well built. Compared to my hifiman arya, it's not even close. This thing is absolutely premium in comparison. The supports are actually plastic, but looking at it, you would think its metal. There's no creakiness when rotating the pads, that is a trademark of the arya. The headband adjustment takes some effort, but in a manner that feels like you know it will hold its place. When adjusted, it satisfyingly clicks into place. The pads are comfortable for long listening sessions, and there is ample protection at the crown of my head. But the sheer weight of this thing cannot be ignored - you feel it, regardless of how much emphasis was put on comfort.

Overall, I feel like these have some great potential, but ultimately its held back by a strong emphasis on vocals/mids that can be borderline harsh & uncomfortable at times. The package came with some cloth pads to swap in. So I tried them, and to me, it didn't really make the mids much better, but it did reduce the bass & lower-mid bass enough that I went straight back to the original stock pads. So I'm wondering if with the right pads, you could tame the harsh mids while not hurting the beautiful depth & detail that makes these sound so special.

Compared to my arya, it's hard to say which is the winner. These really do sound "special". It has a dynamic driver-like quality with a unique twist that puts a smile on my face. I was previously impressed enough with my aryas to assume they'd be my end-game. But with certain tracks, particularly instrumental tracks, jazz, or music that tends to emphasize the instruments over the vocals, the GL850 blows me away. But on tracks with prominent vocals, or other forms of music where the vocalist is belting out high notes, I immediately crash back down to earth. The I put my aryas back on, and I'm back in my safe place.

So at this time, these don't make me want to sell my aryas, but they do make a nice supplement. I heard goldplanar is working on new pads, which hopefully can address the issues I mentioned above. Also, on some chinese forums, folks are suggesting that you need burn these in for 80 hours or so to see their full potential. I haven't put near that many hours on these (maybe 3 hours total now?). So hopefully that can also tame the mids, while also maybe opening up the treble a bit more as well. We'll see.

Sep 28, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 22
Ah nice so you also got yours muths!
Well i guess you will experiment with EQ to tame that shoutiness.

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 22
Interesting, cool to see someone else doing an AMT headphone. I tend to like more mid-forward headphones, so that sounds promising. Price wise the $800 sounds a lot more reasonable for a Chinese product than $1,100, which starts to get too close to the Heddphone.

How forward are the mids on this compared to something like the HD650/6XX?

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 22
Interesting, cool to see someone else doing an AMT headphone. I tend to like more mid-forward headphones, so that sounds promising. Price wise the $800 sounds a lot more reasonable for a Chinese product than $1,100, which starts to get too close to the Heddphone.

How forward are the mids on this compared to something like the HD650/6XX?
i using thick earpad that came with it.
Now i pretty like the sound of it.
The depth and the 3D is crazy good now. Bass respone is fast and goes deep. i getting more and more like it.
Low gain on sp200 pretty smooth excellent.
High gain really show everything but there's still a little shouty on some music that if they shout or sing very loud.
IMG_20200929_011607.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 22
Oct 3, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 22
After 100+ hrs burn in the shouty still exist in typical shout or loud singing.
If singer sing in forward way.
That the only negative for this amt hp.
Everything else is really amazing to my ear.
Seller is making new earpad hope that fix the shouty part.
IMG_20201004_021210.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 22
Great to see other brands exploring the AMT driver in headphones. I've been listening off and on to a vintage pair that ESS made back in the dark ages. Not perfect -at all- but right in the mid range it can be stunningly clear and the headstage is very good. I think the ear pads and the cavity with the AMT might be a place that needs special attention. The driver isn't a piston like others, so I don't think stock treatment here works the same. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some very positive tweaks to the sound working on the earpads if the manufacturer is working on this.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 22
Goldplanar recently send new earpad for GL850. After install the pad. OMG. Now it sound instantly amazing the shouty part is gone. Bass is increase, treble with some extension and better resolution. Is absolute become totl sound with simple earpad change.
IMG_20201126_235336.jpg

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #13 of 22
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 22
That price is an absurd 50% markup over the price if you buy in China. I'd look for a better proxy service, or just try to contact goldplanar directly on taobao (the owner speaks English).

I agree with @muths66. The new pads are a game-changer. Shoutiness is gone with the vented pads. It's crazy how much difference a pad change made. It was like going from a beta to a stable release... with the new pads, the headphones actually sound correct now, across the spectrum. I saw the before/after graph, and the new pads completely eliminated the early mid-peak that was causing the shouty vocals.

Unfortunately, I have not heard the heddphone. But I did read a story somewhere on how goldplanar was formed.
Translate to english:
https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/265690081
the interesting part (via google translate) -
"In 1972, ESS Sound System was established in California, USA, and began to produce AMT units. Because the AMT unit must be made by hand and the diaphragm process is complicated, it has been facing the problem of high price and low output, so it is usually only applied to various high-end speaker products.

After 2006, the ESS team was divided into two parts. Some members went to Germany and became HEDD Audio under ADAM, and the other part came to China to form the parent company of Goldplanar. As the world's largest manufacturers of pneumatic units, these two companies provide various AMT units for brands that prefer pneumatic tweeters such as ADAM, EVE, and ELAC."

So you can consider GL850 a derivative of the heddphone. It's not a cheap knock-off. Though it does cost less :).

Anyway, they sound so good I can easily consider them an upgrade over my hifiman aryas, in all areas (bass/mids/treble/staging/imaging). The only caveat is weight. I might keep the aryas just so I can have something I can use for long gaming sessions without feeling weight. But for music enjoyment, I now pick the GL850 over the aryas 10/10 times. And that's not something I say lightly, as aryas were my previous end-game headphones.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 22
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back